acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Well some belated pictures of the 4TC and Crompton on the Yorkshire NGS Wards Cutting layout. A successful trial with the bar couplers. I have subsequently removed the Dapol working knuckle couplers and replaced them with the non working type. The working ones look far to big to me much larger than MT ones.

As you can see the cab recesses have had a light wash to make them stand out more. Horns have been added to one of the DTS cars since this was taken. 

I've bought a couple of ODC Mk3 Ford Cortinas in red, which are the latest release.They still suffer from over-wide wheels and axles. Don't really know why the bother with rotating wheels at all.

A still have several Mk1 chassis available from non produced carflats. One of these is going to be married up with a selection of cheap Farish Leyland Nationals to produce RDB977091. The National body is a little narrow for the Mk1 frame so I will split the sides from the roof and add a fillet of plasticard to make it a bit wider. The window spacing isn't far out, any extra space will be lost around the doors. I know it doesn't fit into my 1980 time slot but as I've always planned to run a 1986 timetable as well it looks like 1983 will also be added!

Looking good Andy. Certainly looks like the Dorset Heaths with the pines but I'm not sure about the mountains...

• RMweb Premium

It is a vaguely US based layout, four track all the way round two fiddle Yard rounds for each running line. It’s good to just have a decent length test track to run things on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Made a start today on RDB977091.

Three United Counties ( because they were cheap) have been dismantled. The sides sawn off and trimmed from two buses to give me 12 window bays per side. Three rooves are needed to give enough length. They will also need to be made a little wider through out so some Evergreen plasticard strip will be used for this. The rest of the coach will be plasticard, used to fill in the wheel arches and make the ends and doors etc. Spare Farish Mk1 corridor connections will be used along with a Mk1 chassis and some recovered B4 bogies.

Progress pictures to follow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few pictures of progress with RDB977091

Take four Leyland Nationals.....any colour......OK you only need three, the forth will become another LT bus....they were cheap(ish) £5.95 each. You need 12 window bays per side. You can barely see the join!

gallery_681_4580_245589.jpeg

You need three buses because of the roof length. Plasticard strip to strengthen the joint and allow less filler for the wheel arches. Another bit of plastic filled them before the filler.

gallery_681_4580_917064.jpeg

Wheel arches and joint filled in and a quick squirt of primer to spot any more areas that need sanding down.

gallery_681_4580_694422.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of progress photos for RDB977091. Its ended up a fraction narrow somehow, so I'm going to have to rebate the body a bit for it to sit over the chassis......or make that narrower!

I've popped the bus windows back in. One mod will be the ventilators as RDB977091 has hopper windows, so the middle bar will need removing.

gallery_681_4580_968370.jpeg

gallery_681_4580_321237.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I knew I’d end up doing it, sides have been removed to widen the roof, so that the body will sit over the chassis. The chassis has been narrowed slightly too.

I think that's the right thing to do - otherwise the coach would look wrong in the middle of a train.

• RMweb Premium

I knew I’d end up doing it, sides have been removed to widen the roof, so that the body will sit over the chassis. The chassis has been narrowed slightly too.

The thickness of the bus sides hasn’t helped, although it’s my fault for not allowing the correct amount, they seem much thicker than say a Farish Mk1 coach.

Anyway the sides and roof are now glued back together again and the chassis sits nicely in the rebates. Just need to cut new ends to get back to the position it was in the photos above.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bit of a oh sh*t moment this afternoon, I’d added the unit numbers to the cab ends of the 4TC and given them a squirt of varnish to seal them only for the varnish to react with the paint. One cab is a right off, the other one has only reacted a little.

I have a spare cab thankfully, might manage to get it ready for the Yorkshire NGS Open weekend, this weekend..

https://yagngs.wixsite.com/yorkshire-area-group

Not an unheard of problem often it is the thinners which reacts I don’t use rattle cans anymore and use the thinners in the paint as in the varnish although have found the pre thinned Phoenix paints varnish is ok assuming it uses the same thinners as the sell seperately

• RMweb Premium

This was Railmatch BR yellow, with Humbrol gloss varnish over the top. This seemed to be OK but I followed up with a Tamiya Satin which has reacted. They were all rattle cans. The Railmatch I’m assuming is enamel had been sprayed on months ago.....the Humbrol was acrylic as was the Tamiya.

• RMweb Premium

I'll post some pictures of the 4TC later but the third cab has been used to replace the paint damaged one. The largely finished unit had a good run at the NGS meeting at the weekend. 

RDB977091 was also largely completed and had a run out too. 

gallery_681_4580_69408.jpg

gallery_681_4580_133242.jpg

I could only take what I had at home as I was involved in a RTA on the way to pick the rest of the stock up. My poor Ford Kuga looks like its a write-off after it was hit a right angles by a car that failed to stop at give way markings and I ended up being stopped by one of BT's finest Telephone poles...which snapped in the accident. I walked away from it...got my first and hopefully last ride in an ambulance...no sirens though!

I'll also post some pics from the NGS meeting too.

Edited by acg5324

I'll post some pictures of the 4TC later but the third cab has been used to replace the paint damaged one. The largely finished unit had a good run at the NGS meeting at the weekend.

RDB977091 was also largely completed and had a run out too.

gallery_681_4580_69408.jpg

gallery_681_4580_133242.jpg

I could only take what I had at home as I was involved in a RTA on the way to pick the rest of the stock up. My poor Ford Kuga looks like its a write-off after it was hit a right angles by a car that failed to stop at give way markings and I ended up being stopped by one of BT's finest Telephone poles...which snapped in the accident. I walked away from it...got my first and hopefully last ride in an ambulance...no sirens though!

I'll also post some pics from the NGS meeting too.

Glad you were able to walk away. Modern cars are great in that regard now. Hopefully the insurance won't be too arduous and you'll have wheels again soon (important to get back to driving ime soon after).

The  Leyland coach looks good. Perhaps the real one was an item of coaching stock to be avoided but the model is something a bit different from the ordinary and therefore quite an interesting item to be seen in a train. Looks like you have made a nice job of it.

• RMweb Premium

The  Leyland coach looks good. Perhaps the real one was an item of coaching stock to be avoided but the model is something a bit different from the ordinary and therefore quite an interesting item to be seen in a train. Looks like you have made a nice job of it.

Thanks Andy....

The model was one of those projects that was a right pig for something relatively simple. Should have taken a day or two max but was a two steps forward one step back kind of model. I might go for a Mk2 version later......

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 4TC DTS Coaches have had the handrails added as well as the ETH jumper and unit numbers. The footboards have also been altered around the cab and first passenger door.

Just coach numbers and finish off the bogie additions before some weathering to complete.

I’ll get some photos up later this week.

• RMweb Premium

A recently acquired NSE livery class 47 has had its 47581 numbers and Gt Eastern names removed. These have been replaced with some rather nice 3D waterslide decals from Railtec. The loco is now the 47573 the London Standard.

• RMweb Premium

The Eastern Region book has been proof read and returned....here is the proposed cover. The synopsis on the rear cover is for the WR book. That has been pointed out to the publishers!

I've also asked them to re -crop the photo at Retford so that the class 31 hasn't been chopped off.

gallery_681_3476_17634.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

These were the previous two covers.....

gallery_681_3476_36150.jpeg

gallery_681_3476_115424.jpeg

As you can see they managed to place the name clear of the locomotive........except the barcode on the Peak.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.......I think this is part of the 'house style'......but I agree that moving the name or re-cropping that image will be better. Email time!

Are the cover photos also inside the book? If so why worry?