Dapol announce 8 new 'O' gauge wagons at Guildex

Andy Y

Hi all,  Who has received or bought a Dapol 2014/5 catalogue and have they disclosed anything of interest regarding new  O gauge items ??. The N

gauge section of the catalogue  has been fully copied on the Internet but the OO and O sections have been omitted.  The list of N gauge new items

looks like it will take them well past 2015 unless they are able to double or treble the rate of production compared with the last couple of years. 

RW and any other designers are certainly going to be busy bees to keep all those items on time let alone the new 4 and 7mm items which have 

already been promissed or hinted at. .I wonder if there will be any further prepro images of upgraded SR brake vans and milk tanks or if they will be

produced without any significant changes to satisfy delivery commitments.

It has been observed elsewhere that Andy Y usually has all the latest information and keeps us posted about what will be coming but so far there has 

not been any info on this forum.       

Regards  All    adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

• RMweb Gold

Had a quick skim through the catalogue at my local dealer's earlier. He's only had a shop copy so far so I couldn't buy one.

Don't know about O gauge wagons as I'm not sure what is all-new and what is alternative versions of previously announced items. 

Several extra versions of the O gauge Terrier, one of which I'll not be able to resist!

Ditto the 4mm B4!

John

Hi  All  One of my friends showed me a couple of the latest Dapol "7 Plank" releases and apart from the brake lever they have also altered the left hand

push rod which, as I had already noted earlier, was directly in line with the pivot on the vee hanger instead of below it.  As such it would not have actually

moved the brakeshoe.  It is now well below the vee but actually looks rather worse the way they have done it than it did previously. The tumbler has been

over emphasised and and looks very odd especially as they have not changed the right hand pushrod which still ends only slightly above the Vee pivot .

I would have thought that if they were going to do any rectification to the tool they mght just as well have done the whole of the brakegear not just one

bit which aesthetically has actually made it look worse ( in my opinion ! )  Still, perhaps these Dapol wagons are not long for this world if they really do

intend to work in conjunction with RW and not try to compete with his business.       Regards all adrianbs 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Revised details of the first of these wagons have gone up on the Dapol website

extract -

Description

Production Comment

Release

Open Merchandise wagon to Diagram 1/044 fitted with Morton 4-shoe brakes

In Final CAD/CAM

Q4 2015

Standard 12 Ton box van Planked sides to Diagram 1/208 fitted with Morton 4-shoe brakes

In Final CAD/CAM

Q4 2015

Standard 12 Ton box van Plywood sides to Diagram 1/213 fitted with Morton 4-shoe brakes

In Final CAD/CAM

Q4 2015

Ventilated Meat van to Diagram 1/250 fitted with Morton 4-shoe brakes

In Final CAD/CAM

Q4 2015

Insulated 12 Ton van to Diagram 1/251 fitted with Morton 4-shoe brakes

In Final CAD/CAM

Q4 2015

I just don't get Dapol - you'd think this would be on the front page of the web-site in the News section but no, it's buried about 4 pages down into the web-site and if you're inspired or just lucky you eventually find it.......................... :O

• 11 months later...

Any updates on these wagons?

Yeah - this Thread got me, too - I thought it was started yesterday!! (Kettering 2016)

Took me a while to notice the 2013 date of the OP!! :mosking: So much for Dapol's "Commitment to O Gauge"..... or maybe as O is the "Senior Scale" in more ways than one, they're just waiting a few more years for some of the Self-Appointed Experts, who detest anything Dapol make, to shuffle off this mortal coil... :yes:

I don't know how I have missed this, you would think that Dapol would say something about these items After 2 plus years. I have started a O Gauge garden railway, and would love to see some of these items out soon.

Come on Dapol say something.

F-UnitMad, on 06 Mar 2016 - 08:52, said:

maybe as O is the "Senior Scale" in more ways than one, they're just waiting a few more years for some of the Self-Appointed Experts, who detest anything Dapol make, to shuffle off this mortal coil... :yes:

First of all you put the boot into Adrian while he's not well (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107859-temporary-closure-of-abs-models/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2197346) and now you appear to be wishing him dead. Are you this unpleasant in real life ? 

Y'know, I really thought that the idea of a major manufacturer delaying it's products - by several years - in the hope that critics of it might die of old age, was so ridiculously implausible that people would 'get' it and find such a silly concept funny. Nothing to do with wishing anybody dead. In fact, in the Thread I was quoted from, in my first post in that Thread, I actually wished Adrian well as a fellow human being.

• Like 1

It woul be good to hear an update on these wagons, personally I am looking forward to seeing the 12t vans, I think they will be a great addition to the O Gauge rtr market given their longevity and geographical spread. Whilst the delay may be frustrating I would rather the final product is 'right', or as right as possible, rather than rushing it to market. Although I fully apprecaite it is the length of delay which is getting to people, I still look forward to these products arriving, whenever that might be, and given the success of the Terrier,and the impending class 08, we know things are moving at Dapol HQ (albeit slower than some people would like). But ultimately folks this is just a hobby and they're only you trains...

PS the Dapol website says Q2 2016 for release... still time and maybe arriving to coincide with the 08?

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There were several wagon bodies on display today at Ally Pally. I took some photographs in case anyone is interested.

Edwin C.

Hi Edwin,

Thanks very much - much appreciated by someone who has been nowhere near Ally Pally this weekend! 

Fantastic to see progress, cannot wait for them to appear! 

David

Thanks for the pictures.

But the doors don´t seem to be moveable, do they? In my opinion this would be a shame.  :cray_mini2:

Many of the early comments on Dapol o gauge were along the lines of forget the opening doors  get the basics right.   They may be bonus for some and might even aid alternative versions but after all the flak Dapol got (some of it justified and some OTT) you can hardly blame them.

• Like 1

I might have missed something here but I thought Dapol were only producing the Vanwide box van and not a planked/plywood sides version. Tower Models site seems to think the same as me too. Somewhat confused here...............