Dapol announce 8 new 'O' gauge wagons at Guildex

Andy Y

I might have missed something here but I thought Dapol were only producing the Vanwide box van and not a planked/plywood sides version. Tower Models site seems to think the same as me too. Somewhat confused here...............

Towers site showes a very old status quo in regard to those wagons. Dapols website (http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_299_593) on the other hand gives the latest information as to which diagrams we can expect to see pretty soon in shops (even more diagrams planned for the future are listed in the 2014/15 catalogue). But since the older product codes were all withdrawn there are no definite information as to which liveries we´ll get with the first batch.

• 4 weeks later...

The one I saw at Newport recently had corrugated steel ends.

Regards

Dan

Thanks very good news if the rest is to the same standard, Neither Slaters or Parkside have this very common body style in their ranges.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Having ordered an 08 I thought I'd better have something to put behind it so I bought one of each of the first three Dapol wagons and I thought people might be interesting in seeing them. I know they are generic but they're ideal for a little shunting layout just to play with at home. I couldn't resist modifying them, of course.....

26855072092_b0e768a1f5.jpg

I wanted them to look like pretty neglected wagons around 1960, just to see if I could reproduce that look. 

26344801143_391b9e1b8c.jpg

All the planking has been covered with paper printed with a photo of real planking, just cut out and glued in place with a cut out where the black panels are. The Charles Roberts works plate is from a photo of the real thing.

26949572375_65377a9cd0.jpg

The wagons as they come just have a plain brown interior - adding the bare wood transforms them, just leaving the brown strapping showing. 

26881079061_c949fb8279.jpg

If I do another I'll print the black lettering panels onto the planking sheet rather than cutting a hole; apart from anything else the number will need altering.

The hole does look a lot more obvious in the picture than it does looking at the model. 

26344804583_89ff96527e.jpg

26949574885_a62c7859b3.jpg

The work took about an hour and a half per wagon including the painting, though doing the three together saves time. They certainly don't look like they did when they came out of the box!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, more pictures of the vans etc. on Tower models website; they look good to me!

Paul.

my biggest issue, which is common on so many models, its the ribbing in the end sheets being so course. more bumps rather than waves. if you look at the real photo of the wagon at the bottom of the tower models page shows  the steel is a wavy shaped pressing

my biggest issue, which is common on so many models, its the ribbing in the end sheets being so course. more bumps rather than waves. if you look at the real photo of the wagon at the bottom of the tower models page shows  the steel is a wavy shaped pressing

Hi Odin,

That's a very good point - hard to replicate exactly in plastic though?? Most manufacturers, kit or otherwise, would struggle with replicating it perfectly accurately, but I have to say that most do a fair job in plastic, good enough for layout models IMHHO.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Odin,

That's a very good point - hard to replicate exactly in plastic though?? Most manufacturers, kit or otherwise, would struggle with replicating it perfectly accurately, but I have to say that most do a fair job in plastic, good enough for layout models IMHHO.

ATVB

CME

just as easy to mould waves as it is bumps :-)

I agree the corrugations of the vans look disappointing - but we haven't seen the final product. Both Parkside and Slaters have managed a good representation of these ends.

Paul

I agree the corrugations of the vans look disappointing - but we haven't seen the final product. Both Parkside and Slaters have managed a good representation of these ends.

Paul

No we havent seen the final product and I have a feeling that the reason why such are moulded that way is due to the release of the model from the mould. Are you fellows saying that Dapol's rendition of such is worse than eg. Slaters' or Parksides'??

Looking at the pics on the excellent Paul Bartlett web site, there does seem to be some variation in the corrugations on different vans, some are quite wavy others are smaller and more 'blobby'. presumably differing builders and periods, but they were not all the same.

• 1 month later...

The term 'corrugated' to describe the ends of these vans has most people picturing the popular metal roofing product.

I would venture that the term 'channeled' might be more accurate.

Flat steel sheet, stamped out and then folded around the ends of the van.

The pics on Tower's site look pretty good to me (not an expert on vans/wagons)

The term 'corrugated' to describe the ends of these vans has most people picturing the popular metal roofing product.

I would venture that the term 'channeled' might be more accurate.

Flat steel sheet, stamped out and then folded around the ends of the van.

The pics on Tower's site look pretty good to me (not an expert on vans/wagons)

I think you may have hit upon something there;-) :-)

That was the point I was trying to make. The ends of the van bodies aren't really corrugated, more like stamped out channels.

Most I have looked at don't have the wave form that the roofing stuff has.

• 1 month later...