2013 Challenge - The Allan Downes Experience

The original intention for the 2013 Challenge couldn't happen for various reasons so Stubby47 has kindly taken the initiative to stimulate a smaller and productive challenge for members.

As there has been no major Challenge this year, Andy has given the go ahead for a smaller event.

For those that have been following the "Anything you can do I can do better" thread, you'll know that Allan has recently been publishing various plans of his buildings, along with photographs of many of his buildings and layouts.

This challenge is to build any one of the buildings from the plans, or copy any of the buildings from the photos.

You may take some liberties with size, style etc, but the result must be recogniseable as "Allan Downes Inspired".

Again, in deviation from the normal post event voting, Allan himself has agreed to judge the entries.

The Challenge is open now, closing date mid-December, to hopefully get a result before the 2014 Challenge starts...

To save you from trawling through the thread, Allan will be along shortly to add plans and photos of his work for you to source ideas from.

Thanks to Stu for organising the idea, we look forward to seeing the entries appear as topics in this forum area as time progresses.

For anyone wishing to 'get' the joke you need only wander over to Anything You can do I can do better...Robinson and Downes

aka Iain Robinson and Allan Downes.... wheres heroic stories of tireless efforts to produce marketable models....and their exploits can be read....

to the great amusement of their readers.

edit= and some occasional great modelling tips  :sungum:

second edit= and where you will see many references to all (and when I say ALL There is a LOT) the times they have been published in modelling mags...or not (which is another funny story in itself)

third edit= http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/

So OK, apparantly we have an antagonist amongst us who seemingly takes great delight in turning a Thread into a war zone - I wonder if apart from this ,has he actually got any modelling skills, has he actually got anything better to offe otherr than rubbing well meaning members up the wrong way ?

So in light of this, and my suspicions that the gentleman finds immense difficulty in sticking A to B, assuming of course that he knows what A and B are in the first place, I've put up simple plans for a simple building in the hope that he may be able to follow them and join in as oposed to standing aside and ridiculing every one elses efforts.

Allan.

post-18579-0-22410500-1379358694_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-57721600-1379358721_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Here's my advantage, my latest ebay purchase. It seems you are well known in California Allan . 

Will probably end up building quite a few models from these drawings and if not they'll make a great reference.

Theres a copy of historic wagon drawing by F.J.Roche that I've worked my way through and last year managed to find a copy of his locomotive drawings at the Medford show here in Oregon for $15 which has inspired a branch out into scratch building locos.

post-8964-0-41551300-1379361213_thumb.jpg

Edit; Forgot to mention the Eric plans I used to model Dunster!

Edit#2: Isn't that cottage on the cover the one presented above? I'd like to see anyone recreate any of Allans plans to that standard!

So OK, apparantly we have an antagonist amongst us who seemingly takes great delight in turning a Thread into a war zone - I wonder if apart from this ,has he actually got any modelling skills, has he actually got anything better to offe otherr than rubbing well meaning members up the wrong way ?

So in light of this, and my suspicions that the gentleman finds immense difficulty in sticking A to B, assuming of course that he knows what A and B are in the first place, I've put up simple plans for a simple building in the hope that he may be able to follow them and join in as oposed to standing aside and ridiculing every one elses efforts.

Allan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0020.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0021.jpg

I may have missed something but will there be more than one choice of building? I'm not sure i will be able to enter due to work pressures but if I do I fancy something more 'cottagy' To be honest I'd just like to see the designs again, I really wish I hadn't mislaid my copies of the books all those years ago.

If you jump to the thread link page 1, post 23

theres several up already,look at later pages just prior to this date.

It is definitely an open game , and Andy Y quoted Stubby47 post 1,which did say use a plan or copy a building of Allan Downes and results need only be recognisable as Downseque or words to that effect. Exact rules post 1.

Stubby47 is starting a windmill, his thread 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76158-stubby-does-that-windmill/

I may charge secretary fees at this rate.LOL

Hope this is clearer than mud.

I may have missed something but will there be more than one choice of building? I'm not sure i will be able to enter due to work pressures but if I do I fancy something more 'cottagy' To be honest I'd just like to see the designs again, I really wish I hadn't mislaid my copies of the books all those years ago.

Just checking, wouldn't want to build a wind mill and find it wasn't a valid entry or build a steel works out of that hair dryer that exploded last month!

Then of course there is the tie break question: "what's wrong with that cow" in 14 words or less!!

Archived