• RMweb Gold

Impressive work Colin, it's going to look fantastic when all done. I like the mix of components from different sources, very creative. As the cranks are etched brass I don't suppose they are in the Will kit - are they Brassmasters I wonder?

• RMweb Premium

The bits like rodding etc are those which often have noticeable visual impact far beyond that which you might expect and do prove well worth the time and effort involved. That which you have done looks very good already, and once painted and the track ballasted will be even better.

In that respect might I offer a word of caution with regard to the etched fishplates I spot in the first shot. I find that fitting them on the inside of the rails often means wheel flanges hit them, even shallow P4 ones, and sometimes it's neccesary to file them down a bit to seat them fully into the rail web, and also the raised detail, so this doesn't happen.

regards,

Izzy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have made a start on the signal wires. The uprights are pins with the heads cut off, the wires are microfibre fishing line.

I worked out the lengths i needed and taped them down. I marked on the position of each pin and laid them out secured with another bit of tape

post-12721-0-70975400-1488470543_thumb.jpg

I attached each pin to the line with a blob of epoxy. This had worked on a trial bit , leaving a pronounced blob to mimic the small guide wheels. Doing the large batch the glue wasn't staying put so i used a small blob of knifing putty to represent the guides.

post-12721-0-06320300-1488470482_thumb.jpg

The strings of pins are then released from the tape and planted into holes drilled in the baseboard

post-12721-0-39332000-1488470466_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-78583100-1488470492_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-85681200-1488470503_thumb.jpg

Fiddly? Very. Worth it? You judge.

• Like 2

That rodding and all the gubbins is very impressive indeed, Colin. I found the small dia plastic rods too fiddly when I tried that for under track crossings so I kept the piano wire I was using for the rodding elsewhere, coating it in gun blue and then if need be dollops of glue to isolate it and keep it in place when passing under the rail. 

Certainly getting the rodding done now without scenery in the way is a good move. Signal wires as opposed to just posts is a brave move. Hopefully it'll be sturdy enough to withstand a few knocks as you ballast etc.

What's next, signals? Look forward to seeing that.

All the best

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Yes there are (only) two signals to do on the modelled section. I want to get them done, as well as fixing down the platforms and building up the hollow embankment which will conceal the diverted lime kiln siding.

Once those bits are done I will finalise the positions of the buildings, put in the wiring for their lighting and then ballast.

Once all that's done I can put Burghclere up in its final position above Bargate and get on with the spiral that will link them together

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A progress report is called for. I have finished the ballasting and the static grass on the bank at the rear. One more weekend working with the boards out of position and Burghclere can take its place above Bargate and I can start on linking them both to the spiral.

The remaining tasks are spraying thinned track dirt over the formation, followed by track cleaning and testing the points still work mechanically afterwards.

post-12721-0-03979800-1493647777_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-59776700-1493647830_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

That looks superb, Colin. I have to say the Marcway track looks great now that it's painted and ballasted. After all the worry over it and the electrical issues, are you happy with it now?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete. It took a lot more work than I think it should have to get it like that, including finding all those missing insulating gaps!  It got me thinking, how hard would it be to build my own from scratch. I think that to be fair to Marc, his service was OK and fits somewhere between buying off the shelf products or components and having a professional to build your track "in situ".  It is much better to look at than Peco  in lots of ways, but still has compromises like the big fillets of solder on the diamond crossings.  I am happy with it overall and there's no more pointwork to build for the layout now, just plain track and off-scene points which will be code 100 Peco, neither ballasted nor painted.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The end of the year is as good a time as any for a somewhat momentous statement.

During the erection of Burghclere over Southampton Bargate, I caused some considerable damage to the wiring of Burghclere. Subsequent loss of Mojo left time for thinking and I realised two things. Firstly, the large amount of baseboards I was trying to cram into the cellar were going to make it a somewhat claustrophobic environment. Secondly, I am not able to dedicate enough hours in competition with work and family matters for such a large project.

Based on these conclusions, I have reluctantly paused work on the DNS until I retire, and have moved house. At that point I hope to have a better space to accommodate all the elements with a bit more personal space for the operator.

I will retain all the stock and might even do the odd stock or building project as the mood takes me.  It's not over, just paused.

I will retain all the stock and might even do the odd stock or building project as the mood takes me.

That sounds like a sensible option. Leave the big stuff alone and just do a little here and there. Mojo does come back, but only when it's ready.

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve. You are spot on. When you look back and realise how long you have been on a project and honestly assess progress, it gives you a reality check on what you can achieve. Despite enjoying a lot of the modelling along the way I hadn't actually got anything running. That's why I am going for a smaller, self contained project that might actually see operations.

Hope you get your shelf layout up and running soon.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone. Long time no post.

Due to significant life changes I have done no modelling for around three years now. 

I have also had to realise that even if I do pick up again, a major project like the DNS is not feasible for me as an individual.

I'm about to contact some traders about selling my 00 stock, but I would much rather see someone get benefit from the work I put in to tracklaying etc rather than strip the layout for second hand points which will not fetch much anyway.

So, all the baseboards with track in situ and wiring started are available free of charge to anybody who can collect them from North Yorkshire ( a small van will be needed )  and I will also be able to give you some other bits like the partly built model of Chesil station and the Burghclere signal box seen in this thread.

It will take considerable work to get this back up and running, but the man hours you will save from the work I have already done will be considerable, if the project is of interest to you

PM me if you are interested

• Friendly/supportive 17