Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

A 25 in the 1990s would be wishfull thinking....  :wub:

I know couldn't remember when they were withdrawn. The last ones went in 1987. Maybe a 47 or even a 37 then

Edited by johnd

Will be having one of these as Im building a line that was only freight so itll be nice to have a coach on it.

And a Wickham trolley and trailer in a siding as well when it's released by Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

A 25 in the 1990s would be wishfull thinking....  :wub:

True - but not in the 70s - 25038 still has a working boiler too, seen at Norton Junction. Is that saloon the correct pattern I wonder?

post-7138-0-50325000-1399580343.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

Does anyone know if the inspection saloon received the carmine and cream livery during the early BR period? I saw one in this livery on the Stainmore Summit layout at Railex NE and was wondering if it were authentic.I have now remembered that the inspection saloon on Stainmore Summit was the ex NER one not the later LMS version. I was surprised to see this in carmine and cream and again wonder if it is authentic.

Hi Nerron,

I've just caught up with this thread, here are a couple of pictures of the 7mm Sidelines kit for the D2046 Inspection Saloon that I built a couple of years ago

post-6951-0-19152300-1399708372.jpg

post-6951-0-41365500-1399708378.jpg

post-6951-0-06988400-1399708375.jpg

an excellent kit to make. I have the Orion ex GWR Q13 to do, as well as the conversion from the H33 Restaurant coach (a JLTRT kit) into the S&T Inspection Saloon KDW150266

cheers

Mike

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't consider paying £59.95 for a regular 'service' coach that would run in a rake, but for a one off, high quality single item that can run by itself behind a loco, and finished to a higher standard than I could achieve with a kit, I don't object too much at the price of this item.

• RMweb Premium

Phil at post 39 has scored a first with a painted sample of Bachman's LMS Inspection Saloon - this is the first time it has been seen like this .... and doesn't it look superb!

Did Bachmann have anything else in their display case that hasn't been seen before, like painted samples of the LMS 1F? And anything else? Photos would be appreciated!

John

They are a very long-lived vehicle and while they started out as non-recessed and recessed door handle types, the changes that have taken place particularly in the past 30 years or so have probably made no two coaches alike. As usual, photos of the coach one wants are the best bet and then go from there with adding the detail.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

They are a very long-lived vehicle and while they started out as non-recessed and recessed door handle types, the changes that have taken place particularly in the past 30 years or so have probably made no two coaches alike. As usual, photos of the coach one wants are the best bet and then go from there with adding the detail.

If only there was a superb craftsman coach builder on this forum who could post some pictures of his version of the above model?, presuming he built one of course.

I have a Stevenson Carriages one in the pending tray, which, one day, with the help of various magazine articles and photographs might even get built, although the Bachy one will do nicely in the meantime.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Too expensive?  Try building, painting and glazing one. I know which option I'll be taking!   :smoke:

It's up to the individual to conclude if they are expensive or not... I think your talking value for money (and they certainly seem to offer that) however I shall be spending my money elsewhere.

The revised price elicited a slightly sharp intake of breath. Glad it's a solo vehicle and not something I'd want a rake of...........

John

But if it was something you would want a rake of the price would probably be lower. How many people will want more than one of these? I want 2, a BR Maroon one on the list and when someone does it an Intercity one as used on the 1980's charter set. So really this is not a high volume seller so Bachmann will have to price accordingly to cover their costs.

Too expensive?  Try building, painting and glazing one. I know which option I'll be taking!   :smoke:

Something can be 'too expensive' for an individual, regardless of whether it is perceived to be value for money or not. 

There is also an important issue of perception here. I suspect the manufacturers are hoping that they will sell a lower volume at a higher price and improve their margins in the process. I can't quibble with this as they are in the business of making money, not keeping the likes of us happy. I think it will have a different effect on me, I cannot see me reconciling myself to spending over £50 on a RTR coach as I 'perceive' that to be 'too expensive' where I might well have bought two at £35, for example. The net result is that my spending has dropped to zero rather than spending the same and getting less product for my money. I hope for the sake of the manufacturers' futures that most people are not like me!

ROB