Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered one today from trains4u. And us announcment in the Bachmann 2014 thread says these are imminent. I've always wanted one of these and I'm looking forward to getting my mits on one. I will prolly plumb for an intercity one too if its ever released.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. This is a really good model from all of the photo's and test examples which I've seen so far. I must get a BR maroon example ordered as soon as possible! Worth every penny.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Something can be 'too expensive' for an individual, regardless of whether it is perceived to be value for money or not. 

There is also an important issue of perception here. I suspect the manufacturers are hoping that they will sell a lower volume at a higher price and improve their margins in the process. I can't quibble with this as they are in the business of making money, not keeping the likes of us happy. I think it will have a different effect on me, I cannot see me reconciling myself to spending over £50 on a RTR coach as I 'perceive' that to be 'too expensive' where I might well have bought two at £35, for example. The net result is that my spending has dropped to zero rather than spending the same and getting less product for my money. I hope for the sake of the manufacturers' futures that most people are not like me!

ROB

Most coaches use a lot of common parts which help keep the price down but I dread to think of the criticism that would have ensued if Bachmann had re-used their ancient BG chassis under this one and asked £35 for it!

I think the Inspection Saloon falls into the same category as Hornby's 'Devon Belle' observation car in that there will be quite a lot of fittings unique to it. Unlike that model, however, it is a vehicle that does not require any further outlay to make a train.

The two 'Belle' observation cars could be guaranteed to meet where the up and down services crossed whereas the sight of two Inspection Saloons simultaneously at the same location would be highly unusual.    

The r.r.p of the Porthole coaches, which can be expected to sell in much greater numbers, is set at £39-95 so I don't think a tenner more for the Inspection Saloon is excessive.

I would share your reluctance if it was a model I required in quantity. Some might have a desire for two liveries and collectors will presumably want 'the set'. However, a readiness to spend £70 on two but not £50 on one seems a bit odd in the case of this particular model.

Unfortunately, I anticipate the Birdcage stock will be priced at around the same level so a 3-set would make my eyes water had I not already saved up for one. Announcing models far ahead of release does have its advantages! 

John

PS. Yes, I'll be having just the one!

Edited by Dunsignalling

See post #58.

Outside Swindon Works drawing office suggests they were not in use at the time and other images are in camping coach use. It was not uncommon to find two at York. There was the LMS liveried one outside the works, next to the avoiding lines where other inspection saloons would be hauled. I did photograph the LMS maroon saloon, return to the station to find a blood and custard saloon being hauled by a 31 off the Scarborough line.

Similarly at Manchester Victoria, there was often one blue/grey saloon with the recessed door handles parked in terminating platform siding, whilst others passed on the main lines.

I still have a 5522/Hammond unbuilt kit, but as Larry/Coach indicates, I will not waste my time building it when I can buy of the shelf. Building time will be spent on coach kits the rtr boys are unlikely to cover, like the GWR toplight inspection/Churchward saloon.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Outside Swindon Works drawing office suggests they were not in use at the time and other images are in camping coach use.

I think the first picture shows the 2 Dawlish observation/camping coaches when they had been newly refurbished for their role as seaside accommodation.

The occupants of a push-pull driving trailer could work the regulator and the brakes plus they had access to a bell code between the driving trailer and the steam loco footplate. The three LNWR Observation Cars and the LMS Engineers Inspection Saloons of varying kinds were different. There was only the bellcode and a facility for destroying the vacuum in the case of a necessary stop or emergency. I am of course only referring to steam days.

• RMweb Gold

See post #58.

I think both of those qualify as at least fairly unusual unusual, don't you? :jester:

Incidentally is the first one of the same two coaches awaiting/after conversion to Camping Coaches?

John

Edit: Sorry, I missed post 63 !!!!!

Edited by Dunsignalling

Were,they pushed as well as pulled?

There were some good articles on an LMS observation saloon in Modelling Railways Illustrated (we are talking 18 yrs ago so memory may not be good on this).  These showed control equipment in the saloon.

I have an image of an inspection saloon being pushed on the down line of the Sirhowy valley branch.  It was the south Wales ex LNWR vehicle, propelled by a 3F 0-6-0.  Interesting coach as was originally integral with its locomotive when built. 

Philip

• RMweb Gold

How much different is the price from the Hornby Observation coach? They're about comparable, and I guess the manufacturer is factoring in the fact that they are likely in most cases to sell only one per modeller.

I got my Observation Car in the train-pack but, IIRC, on its own the r.r.p was £44 or £48.

As several years have passed since then, £50 for a comparable one-off vehicle at today's prices seems quite reasonable.

John

Were,they pushed as well as pulled?

Yes indeed, even on the mainline in some cases.

Here is a lovely shot of one at work ahead of an Ivatt 2MT. How is that for a dinky little engineering train? Eminently modellable. :locomotive:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Erewash_Valley_line_Up_Inspection_Saloon_near_Stoneyford_Junction_geograph-2839246-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg