• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#26 shortliner

shortliner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 16:09

Just in case any one is interested, I came across this item this afternoon - Just a few miles down the road from me - 2 days and 3 hours to run as I type - ebay.co.uk

#27 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 19:18

Just in case anyone thought that I'd gone MIA, I decided to take a break from panicking -- err, I mean getting the layout ready for this month's show -- and post a few pictures of my Soo Line GP38-2.

Here is a picture with the cover off showing the two decoders and the wiring...

100 1992

Next are the results of my first attempt at simulating peeling paint...

100 1993
100 1994

This is still very much a work in progress.  The next step is to apply the lettering and final details.  Then some drybrushing and finally a few washes of rust and grime.

BTW, I've got less than two weeks to go.  Yikes!

- Damin.

• Like x 2

#28 Tove

Tove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in time.....

Posted 04 October 2013 - 20:37

Looking good so far.

When you come to sort out the fuel tank,will you be replacing the molded air tanks that are attached to the frame?.

Brian.

• Thanks x 1

#29 F-UnitMad

F-UnitMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,312 posts
  • LocationEverybody gotta be somewhere...

Posted 04 October 2013 - 21:35

Like it Damin!!
  • Thanks x 1

#30 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:11

Looking good so far.

When you come to sort out the fuel tank,will you be replacing the molded air tanks that are attached to the frame?.

Brian.

I'm planning on keeping the original fuel tank for now.  I need it to hide the drive-shaft that runs between the trucks.  I know that P&D has parts that can be used to eliminate the drive-shaft, but I don't want to get that complicated now.

I can always come back and replace it in the future, if I ever change my mind.

Thanks,

Damin.

#31 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:17

If I may, what is the steam loco in the background?

It's a Weaver 2-8-0 that I picked up off of Ebay several years ago.  It came out of the box a few weeks ago to have a Digitrax DH465 decoder installed.  It's currently awaiting the installation of a new front headlight after some idiot (me) broke the original trying to replace the bulb.

Thanks,

Damin.

#32 Colin Stewart

Colin Stewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationInverness

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:46

I'm planning on keeping the original fuel tank for now.  I need it to hide the drive-shaft that runs between the trucks.  I know that P&D has parts that can be used to eliminate the drive-shaft, but I don't want to get that complicated now.

I can always come back and replace it in the future, if I ever change my mind.

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin

Great job on the loco, re the fuel tank SOO replaced the short MILW fuel tanks on most of the GP38-2 with those from scrapped GP40's, the 4513 being one of those treated, this tank is longer than the weaver version and would hide the drive shaft nicely.

Colin

• Thanks x 1

#33 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 October 2013 - 21:43

Hi Damin

Great job on the loco, re the fuel tank SOO replaced the short MILW fuel tanks on most of the GP38-2 with those from scrapped GP40's, the 4513 being one of those treated, this tank is longer than the weaver version and would hide the drive shaft nicely.

Colin

I have chosen roadnumber 4512 for my model.  However, while browsing the Internet for reference photos to use, I've noticed several detail variations -- even in pictures of the same locomotive taken at different times.  So it just goes to show that these locomotives are evolving creatures; at least that's the excuse I'm using for my modeling! :pardon:

Thanks,

Damin.

#34 Colin Stewart

Colin Stewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationInverness

Posted 05 October 2013 - 22:41

I have chosen roadnumber 4512 for my model.  However, while browsing the Internet for reference photos to use, I've noticed several detail variations -- even in pictures of the same locomotive taken at different times.  So it just goes to show that these locomotives are evolving creatures; at least that's the excuse I'm using for my modeling! :pardon:

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin

Ah yes the 4512 I think it is the only one left with the small fuel tank, just to add to the fun it also has been fitted with late model radiator grills too!

Colin

#35 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:32

Hi Damin

Ah yes the 4512 I think it is the only one left with the small fuel tank, just to add to the fun it also has been fitted with late model radiator grills too!

Colin

Yes, changing the grills and relocating the fans on the roof were the biggest changes I've made so far.  In this respect, I think the Weaver model is more like an original GP38 than a GP38-2.

Thanks,

Damin.

#36 Colin Stewart

Colin Stewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationInverness

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:19

Hi Damin

I agree the Weaver GP38-2 is a hybrid, its neither GP38 or GP38-2, but is pretty close to an early phase 1 GP38-2 with the wide fan spacing and long mesh radiator grill. It also lacks the shorter door under the firemans cab window typical of the dash 2 locos.

Strangely enough in g scale the USA trains GP38 is almost exactly the same, neither 38 or 38-2, as if both manufacturers used the same incorrect drawings!

Colin

#37 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 October 2013 - 17:32

I agree the Weaver GP38-2 is a hybrid, its neither GP38 or GP38-2, but is pretty close to an early phase 1 GP38-2 with the wide fan spacing and long mesh radiator grill. It also lacks the shorter door under the firemans cab window typical of the dash 2 locos.

Strangely enough in g scale the USA trains GP38 is almost exactly the same, neither 38 or 38-2, as if both manufacturers used the same incorrect drawings!

They probably did.  I once compared the Weaver model to the drawings that were published in Model Railroader, hoping to find the discrepancies so that I would know what to correct, I found that they essentially matched.  I wouldn't be surprised if the USA Trains GP38-2 is the same (I have one but it's in storage right now).  I tried in vain to find a set of drawings that were "correct."  I eventually decided just to go by what I saw in the photos of the prototype unit and build a model that was "good enough."

Thanks,

Damin.

#38 Tove

Tove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 21:25

They probably did.  I once compared the Weaver model to the drawings that were published in Model Railroader, hoping to find the discrepancies so that I would know what to correct, I found that they essentially matched.  I wouldn't be surprised if the USA Trains GP38-2 is the same (I have one but it's in storage right now).  I tried in vain to find a set of drawings that were "correct."  I eventually decided just to go by what I saw in the photos of the prototype unit and build a model that was "good enough."

Thanks,

Damin.

Damin,guys,

I have at my dispossal three sets of drawings as follows;

Railroad Model Craftsman,August,1967.  This is for the very first GP38`s built in 66',and as brought by MEC/BAR and others.

Model Railroader,February,1980.             I would describe these drawings as early GP38-2`s,ie,mesh rear grills and wide spaced rear fan`s.Such as Damin has explained.

Model Railroad Craftsman,October 1985. This is a nice 7 page article on the later GP38-2`s,ie closer rear fan`s and with either mesh or the final courigated grill`s.(they alsoinclude the high hood variation`s as well)

For copyright reasons i can`t publish these here,but.......... :secret:  with a suitably crawly PM ............. ;)

Brian.

Edited by Tove, 07 October 2013 - 22:15 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#39 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationBallarat, Victoria, Australia

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:41

Good evening Damin and All;

Added some photos as promised and wanted to share some thoughts on what I am doing and where I am going with this build:

GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) stripped to the core

Photo 1

A Llittle History

The Hunter Valley Lines (HVL) is a shortline railroad company and has its fingers in many pies. These locos were the first bought new locomotives for the company and have switched on many of the companies properties.

What's complete:

• All holes plugged, sanded and prepped
  • Drop grabs installed
  • Paint is mostly stripped but man this stuff is hard to get rid of. On-going...

Pilots completed both A and B end. Fully detailed with NBWs

What is not complete:

• Fans need to be replaced - I can live with what I have if I need to
  • Dynamic Brake Blister
  • Walkways and railings
  • Cab sunshades (I have the brass units ready to be installed once the paint is cleaned up)
  • Steps (but if I have to I can live with what I have)
  • Radiator grill - seems really pronounced to me. May mill these down by 1mm or simply replace them now that I have seen parts available
  • Underframe, cabling and piping, and air reservoirs

And that is it.

Then its off to prep and paint, then weathering.

Then DC and sound for the unit.

More photos next post.

• Like x 1

#40 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:46

OK

More photos:

GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381)  Nose and Pilot details
Photo 2 - The unit nose showing the grab irons and pilot detail
GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) Front end detail

Photo 3 - The front of the hood and cab area

Edited by andrew's trains, 08 October 2013 - 22:36 .

• Like x 1

#41 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:50

More photos again;

This time the rear of the unit:

GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) tail end

Photo 4 - the rear of the unit
GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) tail end pilot and hood detail
Photo 5 - Rear detail of the hood and pilot
GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) tail end pilot detail

Photo 6 - rear detail of the pilot

• Like x 1

#42 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:52

More photos;

GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) fuel tank with sight glass and filler installed showing both sides
Photo 7 - fuel tank showing both fillers and the sight glasses
GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) fuel tank with sight glass and filler installed
Photo 8 - .Fuel tank close up showing the detail on the filler and sight glass. I am looking for some chain to add to the fuel filler top to make it "captive" - not found any small enough yet
GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) truck side with all holes drilled out
Photo 9 - truck sideframe detail - all the holes have been drilled through including the brake sliders at the bottom of the truck - these are really tedious btw - but I am almost done with them
GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) stripped frame showing the bend I mentioned

Photo 10 - the stripped frame - you may notice the slight upward bend in the frame in this photo

That's it for tonight

You can see the photos in full here: https://picasaweb.go...47/October82013 on Picasa, or

Here on RMWeb in my gallery:

GP38-2 (Hunter Valley Lines # 381) stripped to the core
Album: GP38-2 - HVL 381
18 images
0 comments

Edited by andrew's trains, 08 October 2013 - 09:58 .

• Like x 2

#43 Tove

Tove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:26

I like the work you`ve done so far Andrew.

One thing i`ve noticed that i was going to do,but no one else seem`s to have done is notch the step wells back from the outside edge of the frame(where the handrail comes down) as in the photo;

http://www.rrpicture....aspx?id=118499

It`s looks a fairly easy mod to do, especially if  your going to use cast stantions and wire hand rails.

Brian.

#44 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 00:18

I like the work you`ve done so far Andrew.

One thing i`ve noticed that i was going to do,but no one else seem`s to have done is notch the step wells back from the outside edge of the frame(where the handrail comes down) as in the photo;

http://www.rrpicture....aspx?id=118499

It`s looks a fairly easy mod to do, especially if  your going to use cast stantions and wire hand rails.

Brian.

Brian;

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I agree with your comment of notching the steps. Additionally there is a couple of other things I'll need to do to from looking at the following image:

http://espee.railfan...i_sp-gp38-2.jpg

Notice the notch at the top of the pilot plate. Depending on how much effort there is - I may allow this to pass. The other notch is easy to do and something I'll get onto that during my Saturday arvo dad and son modelling session.

In the image above does anyone know the name of the type of Handbrake so I can look through my list of part suppliers for one? I really do not want to have to scratchbuild the thing.

Edited by andrew's trains, 09 October 2013 - 03:16 .

#45 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:13

Worked on the lettering this evening.  Here are the results.  Had a bit of a struggle, but it seems to have turned out well.

The white lettering is really bright.  But the washes will take care of that!

Now I'm off to bed...

Thanks,

Damin.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1995.JPG

• Like x 3

#46 F-UnitMad

F-UnitMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,312 posts
  • LocationEverybody gotta be somewhere...

Posted 09 October 2013 - 16:06

Looking at that model, one thing I hadn't really appreciated when I did my Bandit was that the Milwaukee must have started out with orange locos and added the black to them, rather than - as I assumed - starting out with a black loco and adding orange sides....

I'd love to do a Soo GP38-2..... Having been given the lowdown on everything that the Weaver one needs correcting, I reckon I'll wait and see if Atlas bring one out... :scratchhead:

#47 Tove

Tove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:45

Looking at that model, one thing I hadn't really appreciated when I did my Bandit was that the Milwaukee must have started out with orange locos and added the black to them, rather than - as I assumed - starting out with a black loco and adding orange sides....

I'd love to do a Soo GP38-2..... Having been given the lowdown on everything that the Weaver one needs correcting, I reckon I'll wait and see if Atlas bring one out... :scratchhead:

I think that if Atlas were going to do one they`d probably have done it by now,epecially if it was thought through properly as they could make several models by interchaging parts.(G38-2`s through to GP50`s) But if they were thinking of it,then the economic melt down probably did for it!.

I know MTH do a GP38-2 but i`ve never seen one up close,and i should think it`s aimed squarely at the 3rail guys.

And Lionel Make a GP40, the body is quite nice,but again aimed at the 3rail market.

Brian.

#48 DaminKeenan

DaminKeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 20:48

F-UnitMad,

I think that there is so much variation in locomotives like the GP38-2, many of which are on their second or third life, that no one model will ever be "correct" for all of them.  Instead just pick a unit that appeals to you and try and get as many photos of that unit as you can, and build yours to match.

It's that variability that makes them interesting, and keeps the rivet-counters at bay!

- Damin. 

#49 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 22:34

Worked on the lettering this evening.  Here are the results.  Had a bit of a struggle, but it seems to have turned out well.

Thanks,

Damin.

Damin;

You have absolutely nailed the paint on the bandit units. Outstanding work.

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#50 andrew's trains

andrew's trains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 22:35

I think that if Atlas were going to do one they`d probably have done it by now...

Oh Atlas will do one, as soon as I have finished the first upgrade.

Andrew

• Funny x 2