Making a 4mm Radio Control Truck

Grasslands

I am still waiting for my battery charger to arrive, so I haven't made significant progress.

I did some more traction tests this evening and Robin was quite right. I found some rubber hair ties (from when I use to have a pony tail) which were small enough to go round the wheels. These definitly made a difference to the traction of the model.

So what options do i have for making or buying tyres? Someone makes tyres out of Maskol fluid in a little german model car magazine I bought. I presume I could mold some out of rubber? I've never done anything like that before. Or i could go down the root of cutting slots in the existing tyres for rubber bands?

Any help RE suppliers of suitable rubber or tyres appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

img_9134lr.jpg?w=625&h=468

Sorry that it has been a bit quiet on here recently. I was working last weekend and I couldn’t go much further without the battery charger arriving in the post. The charger has now arrived, so work can continue.

I did some experiments with elastic bands wrapped around the tyres and this really increased the traction, so I have decided to have a go at making some tyres out of silicon rubber and an alginate mould. I was quite excited about this until I realised that the rubber isn’t black!!! I decided to go ahead with the moulding anyway... annoying!

2013-10-20-13-42-48lr.jpg?w=625&h=683

2013-10-20-13-52-39lr.jpg?w=625&h=885

I also tried translating the instructions using Google translate, which made me feel a bit more confident in approaching the wiring. I was very confused about which wires to solder the capacitor on to. Based on images from one of the German forums I eventually soldered the capacitor across both the black and red wires on the motor (I’m far from an electrics wiz).

Finally, I cut away some of the flooring and fitted the servo, and the on/off switch.

2013-10-20-19-42-33lr.jpg?w=625&h=657

2013-10-20-19-43-03lr.jpg?w=625&h=352

Here is a video of the cars first trial run on mains power (with no steering).

• Like 2

Inspiring ....

I really like how slowly and smoothly it works. I was expecting it to launch itself like a rocket - don't know why.

When you have the steering working you will have to automate the winches for the crane :)

...R

PS I'm nearly as impressed that you have so much clear desk space for the demo.

Inspiring ....

I really like how slowly and smoothly it works. I was expecting it to launch itself like a rocket - don't know why.

Thanks, I'm yet to discover how it will operate on the RC controller. There is a speed regulator that I am yet to fit, so fingers crossed.

When you have the steering working you will have to automate the winches for the crane :)

The winch on the crane would be great wouldn't it? I would really like to do a construction vehicle, and do some 'live' quarrying.

...R

PS I'm nearly as impressed that you have so much clear desk space for the demo.

That really is encouraging!

Excellent!

What's the capacitor that you've wired across the motor?

It is a blue disc-shaped one, which has '473' written on it. I presume it is to do with TV interference?

Best go home and see how my white silicon tyres are getting on :sungum:

• 3 weeks later...

There used to be a series of vinyl rubber wheels in 1/76 scale made for model buses. They might still be available.

Although not appropriate for the AEC Matador there are some rubber wheels available for normal road commercial vehicles. They are used by people running on the Faller Car System for their bus and truck motorisations.

http://www.little-bus.com/scalewheels.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although not appropriate for the AEC Matador there are some rubber wheels available for normal road commercial vehicles. They are used by people running on the Faller Car System for their bus and truck motorisations.

http://www.little-bus.com/scalewheels.html

Thanks for the link and sorry for the late reply. My flat is being deconstructed for our big move to Swindon. I was hoping that I would have this project finished before the move, but no :). I will put some more updates up when I have rebuilt my workbench and found my tools.

Oh! and my attempt at making silicon tyres was a failure. The algenate worked well as a mould, but the silicon never set. I presume I should probably be a bit more careful with my setting agent proportions next time.

Tom

• 4 months later...

Nice to see your project,

I have been experimenting with a 1/87 lorry unit since Christmas but have been struggling with battery life, think your project updates may have just solved my problem.

Glad I'm not the only person struggling with the German translation either, google translate leaves a lot of grey areas.

Looking forward to seeing your next update

• Like 1

If it's worked there should be a couple of pics of my lorry project. I'm using the solder pad version of the deltang receiver chip as this fits quit nicely inside the cab with the lipo battery.

Model has full light control, and now figured the battery life issues can tidy up the underneath and get on with the trailer.

Starting with a cement bulk tanker with working tail and side lights but hoping to get a functioning tipping trailer to work at some point, early planning stages still though.

All the parts for this project were acquired from eBay, like you found the sol-expert site first but found the price a little out of my reach especially with a12euro shipping charge,post-22582-0-36357500-1397380772_thumb.jpgpost-22582-0-45682500-1397380789_thumb.jpg

If it's worked there should be a couple of pics of my lorry project. I'm using the solder pad version of the deltang receiver chip as this fits quit nicely inside the cab with the lipo battery.

Model has full light control, and now figured the battery life issues can tidy up the underneath and get on with the trailer.

Starting with a cement bulk tanker with working tail and side lights but hoping to get a functioning tipping trailer to work at some point, early planning stages still though.

This lorry looks really, really good mmon. I would be interested to know what the issues with the battery were. Lights would also be nice, but I thought it would be best to leave them off for my first one.

How well does it run?

Had some basic electric issues to start, bad joints or contacts that shorted out. This is my first attempt at anything electrical and my first rc project so I'm learning the principles for both as I go so to speak. was not 100% the batteries were takeing a full charge as they only seemed to last 10 mins if I was lucky. Little bit of trial and error with the charger settings and I get 20 to thirty mins. Was trying to work out what effect the capacitor in the motor circuit ( mentioned earlier in your post) would have, completely overlooked this when I studied the wiring diagram. Like i said electronic therory is all new to me.

With regards to its performance it runs a little fast and with the bulk of the weight over the front axle it looses a bit of traction when running solo, traction is vastly improved with a trailer attached, my only drawback is space to test it to full potential. I too have lost my workbench space with the arrival of our fourth child. House move is now a must so the oo layout in the loft has all gone into boxes and I'm left with the space of an A3 cutting mat to test things when I get five mins.

Had some basic electric issues to start, bad joints or contacts that shorted out. This is my first attempt at anything electrical and my first rc project so I'm learning the principles for both as I go so to speak. was not 100% the batteries were takeing a full charge as they only seemed to last 10 mins if I was lucky. Little bit of trial and error with the charger settings and I get 20 to thirty mins. Was trying to work out what effect the capacitor in the motor circuit ( mentioned earlier in your post) would have, completely overlooked this when I studied the wiring diagram. Like i said electronic therory is all new to me.

With regards to its performance it runs a little fast and with the bulk of the weight over the front axle it looses a bit of traction when running solo, traction is vastly improved with a trailer attached, my only drawback is space to test it to full potential. I too have lost my workbench space with the arrival of our fourth child. House move is now a must so the oo layout in the loft has all gone into boxes and I'm left with the space of an A3 cutting mat to test things when I get five mins.

It would be great to see a video (if possible). I notice that you are using a different gear box, what type is that?

Shame to hear about the workbench: mine is up and running again. I can understand the issues with traction. I am yet to tackle this issue properly. I notice that the Sol-expert website are now offering off road tyres, which I might purchase.

Might be worth trying www.mikromodellbau.de they have a selection of tyres and there shipping is quite reasonable from recollection. They cover almost every aspect of micro rc although some of the motors and gearboxes are very pricey.

Regards my gearbox I bought it from kkpmo on eBay. I think it has a ratio of 96-1 and was under £10. It's the same person who runs the mikro antriebe website, their based in Poland and turn things round very quickly. Seem to have a good range as well

If I get a chance I'll get it charged up and attempt a video today or tomorrow, no promises though.

Thanks

Few little bits left

Tidy up the wires underneath and paint the enamelled wires round the the rear light clusters. Steering mech needs fine tuning as it's catching slightly. The last thing is to fit a 7 way connector at the rear base of the cab to make it easy to change trailers. Might add a weight behind the motor to aid traction. Already toying with trying to make my own gearbox for the next one, have seen on one of the German sites how to make one using brass square rod and a micro planetary gear, but requires some micro metal work skills.

This chap has some excellent models and looking at the pieces of the gearbox all laid out you can see how it's constructed. Not in depth instructions but as long as you have the tools this shouldn't be too difficult from the look of it

http://www.wintermayr.de/cms/index.php?id=129

I am just enjoying my lunch while looking at this link. This lorry is featured in the video in post #35. You are right, it doesn't look too complicated to build up that gear box.

Seems to be 3/8 square rod drilled through with a 3mm bore. Then opened out to 6mm to accommodate the planetary gear. The bearing looks like 3mm external 1mm internal diameter, with worm drive and 10 teeth cogs, all 1mm drives/axles. That's my ruff calculations any way. Just need the time to experiment.

Thanks for the link. It looks good.

By the way those are worm gears not planetary gears which would be very much harder to make in such a small space. 

I saw a YouTube film about simple gear hobbing so I have been wondering if I could cut a plastic (maybe even brass) gear using (say) an M4 or M5 bolt tap as a hob. And then another piece of the same sized bolt could be used as the worm. It wouldn't be high precision engineering but it may be good enough.

I also have some gears from some very small servos that I dismantled to use the motors and those gears seem to mesh nicely with small bolts (I've forgotten the exact size).

...R

Edit to correct a silly mistake. Hope it hasn't confused anyone.

...R

Edited by Robin2