Product Spotlight - Humbrol Enamel Washes & Weathering Powders

Andy Y

Really good weathering job, SDJR7F88. I really like the cattle van and the mineral cars.

Also, as an advise, try also to mix the weathering powders to the new "Humbrol Washes". This will add depth to the colour, and also give it some grain. I do that all the time with my Vallejo Weathering Powders and the Vallejo Model Washes on my models instead of using their powder binder (I found this worked better).

Keep up the good work,

Eric.

Really good weathering job, SDJR7F88. I really like the cattle van and the mineral cars.

Also, as an advise, try also to mix the weathering powders to the new "Humbrol Washes". This will add depth to the colour, and also give it some grain. I do that all the time with my Vallejo Weathering Powders and the Vallejo Model Washes on my models instead of using their powder binder (I found this worked better).

Keep up the good work,

Eric.

Thanks again Eric! I have been looking for some of those washes, but they seem to sell very well! :jester: Will give it a go when I can get my hands on some. :paint:

• 1 month later...

I discovered these videos over Christmas so ordered the powders and washes from Humbrol online (as I do not have a local model shop which stocks them). Started on a kit wagon yesterday before trying out on the more expensive RTR items. Having the video on the laptop whilst working is showing promising results. As with most paint finishes, though, skill comes with practice.

• 11 months later...

These videos (when first released) showed great promise.... then they stopped. Ideally, I would like to see them return, with a weekly project. I'd much rather see that on Hornby's facebook page every Friday, than the "what have you got planned this weekend?" question. Im sure it would not only inspire people to make the leap to weathering, but would go some way to seeing sales increase. 

I certainly would like to see more of these kind of videos. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the Humbrol no 20 crimson for the first time on a couple of parcel vans I have been building is the paint supposed to be a gloss finish???

It should be gloss (in both enamel and acrylic ranges).

So, i bit the bullet. Having previously weathered using an iowata air brush (with mixed results), I thought I would have a go at the powders, using the excellent Humbrol video's as inspiration.

Im a total novice, so wanted to have a stab at something that I hardly ever run. I opted for the 40th anniversary release of the Evening Star. To be honest, I never really liked it as a model, but to its credit it does have a good solid motor.

So, from this: (image lifted from hattons web site)

R3097_45719_Qty1_1.jpg

to this:

image1.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

I see a few things I need to finesse... but as a first stab, Im happy, and I think I have given the Star a new lease of life. Lessons learnt from this will filter through to the next one, and I'll probably be a bit more liberal as well. I went into this wanting to see just how shabby I could make the star look to distance it from its pristine, plasticky self.

So, the video's worked as designed... I just wish Nat & his team @ Margate will see to it that they do more. and on a regular basis.

• 1 year later...

Archived