Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A discussion on railway art.

• RMweb Gold

When, earlier this year, I saw the picture which appears at bottom right on the cover view below I was absolutely knocked out by it - incredible atmosphere and the following day after a bit of haggling over the price Mrs Stationmaster duly bought it for me as a belated birthday present.  It really needs to be reframed which I've not yet had done so it isn't hung as yet - but it's mine and I like it!  Incidentally the bloke walking alongside the train is modelled on a photo of James Dean - who was probably never in Ireland!

post-6859-0-82108800-1380705895_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

Can I recommend a Google search for Samuel Michlap, who paints US railroad and urban scenes, and fantasy/concept scenes for films amongst others - great use of light, and technical ability - one of his has been my desktop pic for a couple of years! His day-job is a production designer for Dreamworks

Edited by shortliner

My Dad was an early fan of Cuneo. As an artist his accomplishments were derided in the mainstream. Idiots!

Johnny Gringo (and probably a lot more of RMWeb) are members of the Guild - they are all too modest...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Malcolm Root: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=malcolm+root&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source?%7D&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ilRNUvf_BuGd0QWOhIBw&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=775&dpr=1

I've been lucky each year with a present from my local village shopkeeper of a Midlands engineering company's calendar with his paintings on each sheet. I've kept them all with a view to framing the best one day!

We have a railway artist amongst our ranks, Old Gringo has produced many railway based works including the illustrations for the 'Peter's Railway' series of books.

He also has a range of greetings and christmas cards available (example below). John - I hope you don't mind my posting this here?

post-8705-0-27725000-1380803433_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I like the work of Colin Wright. He has just completed a painting of "The Unknown Warrior" for me. The image is going to be used by the LMS-Patriot Project and will be launched at Warley, where "The Unknown Warrior" will be the center piece in its current build state. 

We will have both Colin's original paintings of "The Unknown Warrior" on the stand. A rare opportunity to see both paintings and the real "Unknown Warrior" together! Come  along and have a look, talk to Colin who is due to be there for the weekend and perhaps buy a print in aid of the project!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For the GWR fans, are there any specific pieces that you love?

Anything by Don Breckon or Barry Freeman gets my seal of approval.Summer at Saltern Cove for example.

For the GWR fans, are there any specific pieces that you love?

Not a GWR fan myself, but surely the granddaddy of all railway paintings is Turner's Rain Steam and Speed?

I like Monet's railway paintings. Hugely atmospheric.

Paul

• Like 2