Farish Warship - How do you remove the bogies?

Tim H

One of my Farish Warships has developed that ominous clicking sound that I assume is a split gear. I thought we're got over this after the bad years of later Poole manufacture.

How do you remove the body and/or bogies?

Take the bogie frame off (should just unclip) and remove one wheelset at a time. You should be able to identify the offending wheelset from there. You can then check if the gear on it has split, or if there's a little bit of muck or ballast that's stuck between teeth of the gear (can cause the same effect as a split).

Cheers,
Alan

Edited by Dr Al

Identified which of the two wheelsets has the problem, although I can't see the split on visual inspection. What's odd is rotating the wheelset makes it "stick" once every three turns rather than each turn. Might the problem be another gear?

Closer inspection with a magnifying glass and I've found the split on the axle.

Removed the gear and reassembled the bogie (with one free-running axle), and the loco is now running smoothly (with only three axles powered pending replacement of the offending axle.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Tim H

Just curious but who is the source of spare Warship wheelsets - or for that matter, wheelsets for any of the more recent Farish diesels (e.g. 24, 37)?  I haven't noticed them offered by Bob Russell at BR Lines.  Perhaps Peter's Spares?

Thanks,

Matt

There are no aftermarket spares from Peter's (original Poole replacements only), more likely from BR Lines.

The gears are the standard Farish 16 toothers, so I just replace them on the original axles so there is no issue with wheel sizes.

Cheers,
Alan

• RMweb Premium

The newer Farish diesels, 24/37/20 etc, use correctly sized wheels rather than the 'standard' wheel sizes of the past. At present the only replacement sets appear to be the older standard size types, so I would tend to think contacting Bachmann might be required. I've obtained replacement wheel sets for both 04 and 08 diesels this way - complete sets with coupling rods etc.

Izzy

Just curious but who is the source of spare Warship wheelsets - or for that matter, wheelsets for any of the more recent Farish diesels (e.g. 24, 37)?  I haven't noticed them offered by Bob Russell at BR Lines.  Perhaps Peter's Spares?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi

Bob has far more stuff than his site shows, best to ask him.

Peter

• 4 years later...

Is there a specific way round that the bogies should go back on or can either bogie go back on either end?  The reason I ask is I know of someone who took the bogies off of their Warship to lubricate the gears, and when they put the bogies back on, the loco would not work.  They checked to make sure that the bogies were fully home, but the loco still would not work.

There are no aftermarket spares from Peter's (original Poole replacements only), more likely from BR Lines.

The gears are the standard Farish 16 toothers, so I just replace them on the original axles so there is no issue with wheel sizes.

Cheers,

Alan

I have just replaced 2 gears on a Warship and not being sure, counted the teeth on the one I took off the axle twice to be sure and it had 14 teeth. the one at the top of the bogie tower was shredded, probably due to the split gear on the axle, and I had to carefully cut away the plastic rivet heads holding the current collector assembly and glue it back on after replacing the top gear.

the loco now runs as smooth as silk

Regards,

Alex 

Edited by Hailstone