Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi,

I thought that I would tentatively start a Thread on our layout Down Ampney as some RM Web members had very kindly enquired about the layout and it's progress - which is often, out of necessity, slow. As the layout is a WIP (Work-In-Progress) this Thread, until the layout is substantially complete, will include all 7mm FS and 0-16.5 modelling. When the layout is substantially complete I shall, hopefully, be able to dedicate a Thread to the layout and then have, and use, this Thread as my 7mm/0-16.5 Workshop Thread.

We also have, as an aside, Draycott Camp Halt Sidings (which was Marc Smith's wonderfully crafted 'Clarbeston North') - we have learnt a lot from this layout and Marc's thoughtful creative work and will be incorporating certain aspects of construction within Down Ampney too. Marc's and my, scenic modelling styles, are - hopefully to the readers' eyes too - very similar, so hopefully my modelling will not look too out of place alongside Marc's (with my minor tweaks to 'Draycott').

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92282-draycott-camp-halt-sidings-7mm-finescale/

Down Ampney is still a work in progress with much of the main baseboard work complete (awaiting assembly etc.) the layout element is a real family and friends effort.

Anyway some background with some - long contrived - thoughts on what we hope to achieve (in brief);-

The Line's Reason For Being;

Down Ampney uses that age old modeller's device of 'modeller's licence' and the 'what if' scenario, in that the layout is set in the era 1965-1976 and is based firmly in the WR on the old M&SWJR in fact - apologies to all of the purists out there! This would then allow us - just - to run some ragged old kettles alongside diesels. I have stretched the time-frame for which the old M&SWJR - under WR control - may have been still been viable by my looking at revenue flows for the line, and for the sake of modeller's licence, I have bolstered these revenue flows in my scenario so as to justify the line's continued existence. I have supposed that the military in the locale - and up and down the line - held a longer sway with a continued presence (longer than in reality) - due to the Cold War etc. and that sand and gravel was still being excavated in large quantities (with a small narrow gauge 'feeder' line), with milk traffic for the line also still generating good revenues. I also envisaged that there were still links - for military and other supplies - with the industrial Midlands which would require the use of rail transport for certain military - and other - equipment. The old M&SWJR would also - taken along my flight of fantasy - be traversed by SR locos from time to time which meant that I could include one of my all time favourite locos, the 'Class 33' - maybe Thumpers to follow to - as well as the, very, occasional Midlands based visitor and hopefully D6320 from the Royal Forest of Dean (RFoD). Of course there will be an abundance of diesel hydraulics too. Down Ampney itself - in my scenario - still has its RAF Base/Airfield and had a latter day GWR line extension (part of an unsuccessful light railway venture taken over by the GWR and expanded upon) and small station built (just outside of the village) so as to supplement the old M&SWJR and provide rail access for Military, the local Creamery/Dairy, Livestock and Sand/Gravel traffic flows etc. etc. Despite all of this the line is still on borrowed time and is in decline which hopefully opens up the opportunity for decay and lack of maintenance which then paves the way for a greater scope for modelling such. One fly in the ointment is the building of the M4 though!

Inspiration:

I love WR and indeed the S&D too - and I particularly like the fact that in it's last days diesel hydraulics were present for works trains etc. (apologies for those who loved the steam era of the S&D) which I find fascinating. I also have a love of the RFoD and it's railways too. I have a fondness for the old M&SWJR - with many synchronistic connections to the railway - both past and present. I also love the old Highworth Branch. Nearby, a close relation, worked at Fairford Station also. I also have a passion for narrow gauge - especially North Wales types - as well as the Cambrian Coast Railway - my dad also shares much the same interests. As I have mentioned I have a love of '33's' - after my dad used to take me to see them in Salisbury and Bournemouth stations - and my first steam train ride on the Mid-Hants (Watercress Line). I/we have dabbled in military /aircraft modelling, as well as RC cars, boats and a brief flirtation with RC aircraft too (the less said about that the better). I also love the atmosphere of both Sheperd's and Cuneo's work.

How could we/I combine all of these passions into one layout - on a budget - without being completely crass? In short I hope that Down Ampney is the answer!

The Layout:

Working in 7mm FS (sic) the layout is to be a basic garage-garden-garage line (the garden section is, in effect, just a link line.single track with a couple of sidings and scenery provided by mother nature) - lots of help from family and friends. Control is to be DCC and RC. The Scenic modelled section is to be situated within the garage with a casette fiddle yard on the other side. The garden is to include a Foamlux viaduct too, yet remain fairly basic for the sake of ease of building (and getting something up and running) all with low maintenance etc...

We would like to feature, without cramping the layout;

* A Narrow Gauge (NG) line;

* A Dairy;

* A Hint at WD/MOD/RAF Sidings (and the 'Martini' element of the layout ie. any-time, any-place, any-where, so this branch ('twig'?) off of the branch could also be eg. a Refinery or a Nuclear Flask facility et al.).

The Narrow Gauge Element:

I hope with the Narrow Gauge aspect/line to keep it fairly low key, in that whilst I hope to model Down Ampney Station (I am still toying with hinting at a station and having some exchange WD/MOD Sidings) with the NG line to be hinted at perhaps passing between a couple of Cotswold stone-walls at the front edge of the scenic section of the layout (at a slightly lower level) maybe with one siding or at a push a passing loop (yet I dont want to over-egg-the-pudding). The NG line will have its rails buried in sand and grass - very akin to early Talyllyn Rly. or Leighton Buzzard Rly. The line will be run as the early Leighton Buzzard Rly. (i.e with weekend running rights for a preservation society). To the casual viewer - without anything running - I want to NG lines to be almost invisible just a passing line which is almost ignored or even ignores the standard gauge lines. Whilst all of this is a 'what if' or 'what might have been' there is evidence of a NG line or NG tramway in the area - used for moving timber closely situated to the local gravel pits. Even if a standard gauge station is modelled (fully) I don't believe that I will have too many, if any exchange sidings as I dont wish to crowd the layout (it may be possible to have a small exchange/one siding, with the standard gauge line able to supply machinery and materials to the NG line, and the NG having its own off-loading facilities off stage so to speak). I shall stick with 0-16.5 gauge so as to make life easier (so much to build and to do anyway!) and whilst not wanting to have to wedge decoders into, what are effectively heavily modified 00 gauge locos, I will be using standard DC via a trusty Gaugmaster/H&M Duette for the NG line (although DCC is very tempting - and so is, RC!).

The Buildings:

The Station building and Goods Shed, were built as part of the initial development, with the Engine Shed being built later and the Provender Store, being built later still (MORE DETAIL TO BE ADDED AS LAYOUT DEVELOPS). The buildings on the line were designed to be quick to erect and cost effective in accordance with those found on the Highworth Branch et al. This strategy was due to the fact that the line was built by a small independent company as part of the 'railway .COM' rush' it was hoped, by the then owners, to link Faringdon with Cirencester, yet land sales/purchases and access rights were problematic and so the company had no other choice than to start to build the line in the Down Ampney area, then the investment for this line failed (with the share crash of the time). A second option of linking the line with the EGR (as part of the EGR's proposed extension to Cirencester) was also discussed, but it was felt, after surveys conducted by the EGR, that Down Ampney was 'too far off of the beaten track' - and not a direct route to Cirencester - so this option was dropped (the EGR completely missed the fact that milk traffic revenues would make such worth their while). The EGR never built their proposed line from Fairford to 'Ciren' and neither was a once proposed line from Fairford to South Cerney built. In a short time the precursor company to the M&SWJR took over the fledgling - and incomplete - Down Ampney branch 'at a bargain price too good for the board not to consider', then, fairly promptly, the M&SWJR acquired the line, with subsequent takeovers by the GWR and then BR (WR). The Engine Shed was added in 1913 (built in a similar style to the Goods Shed), due in the main for the need, for motive power to shunt milk traffic, and because Down Ampney, had become the end of the line (in terms of the Down Ampney and Creamery/Dairy Branches). Whilst Ciren. and Swindon werent far off (with motive power) the need for more localised motive power was also generated with the increase in military traffic (associated with WWI). The local Creamery and Dairy had no motive power and previously shunting had been performed using horses etc. As the military presence along the line grew so did traffic flows, with the advent of WWII and the plethora of local RAF airfields and bases, which sprang up, traffic increased further, with this traffic flow being maintained until the late 1970's. Another branch - off of the short Creamery/Dairy branch - was constructed for RAF Down Ampney in 1942/43, being completed in 1943, in conjunction with the opening of 'RAF DAMP' (as shunters often 'chalked it'). The Engine Shed, as with other buildings at Down Ampney, was built cheaply and quickly as a stop-gap, yet as such lasted, with, initially, some quality maintenance, well into the late 1970's - albeit used intermittently throughout this time. Although RAF Down Ampney had, in WWII, it's own motive power (with limited running rights 'into, but not beyond Down Ampney station'), the Creamery and Dairy still required assistance with shunting (traffic flows steadily increased from the early 1900s through to a decline for the need for railway haulage in the late 1970's), which, during leaner times, was sometimes performed by the train engine, yet more often than not, at key times a loco would be stabled (out-based as a sub-shed) at Down Ampney. In the late 1960's the RAF decided to contract out any shunting to BR and thus scrapped/redeployed their own 'on site' shunters at that time. From the 1960's a small diesel, such as an 03 or 08 would be based at Down Ampney as military traffic increased during various conflicts and with the UK's increased commitment to NATO (air-freight to Germany et al). These locos lacked many of the trip working abilities of the ex-GWR Panniers which they were supposed to replace - sadly, the 09 (GTI version of the 08) never made it as far as Down Ampney - and because of their top speed (15-20 mph for an 08 and 28/29 mph for an 03) - or lack of speed - it was felt prudent to have a loco stabled at Down Ampney on a semi-permanent basis (rather than sending out a loco from Swindon every day or so). Along with the decline in traffic for Down Ampney (and the village of Down Ampney), thus less regular trains calling there, a diesel shunter became more of a necessity and one could be spied, at Down Ampney, at least 3 days per week - or more if there was a 'flap on' at RAF DAMP - up until the mid 1970's. The Engine Shed, a luxury in terms of localised WR railway operations, is, in the case of Down Ampney, really nothing more than a covered stabling point, with limited servicing facilities, it's also fairly rare in terms of being fabricated from timber as most Engine Sheds (Ex- GWR and WR) were usually crafted from local stone or the local brick, although Fairford, Minehead, Abingdon et al. all had timber Engine Sheds. I am also considering having the buildings as 'plug-in's' so as to be able to back-date or fast-foward the layout, yet in reality this aspect may not be a 'goer' and the RAF/Martini branch may cater for such wants/needs in terms of traffic - without the need to add or remove buildings (which would mean extra work and time to build - a nice to do, rather than a need).

Here is a photo or three - just for starters - of the locale, and an almost redundant 24.5T Mineral on Down Ampney Sidings..........

Also a photo of my SR25T Brake Van on Draycott Halt Sidings - hopefully we can model Down Ampney in a similar vein.

Kind regards,

CME

'To be a servant of the Great Western Railway was like belonging to a vast Free-masonic Lodge' (J. H Russell circa 1971 - in précis and not verbatim).

'CREATIVE HOBBY

In the days before the television age, families made their own entertainment. Model trains then were a popular hobby. To-day (sic) with the wider and greater superior range of models available, those who seek activity rather than IDLENESS [my emphasis] are drawn to model railways for the satisfaction of creating a layout, however small, and making it come to life by their own efforts.' (Hornby Railways 28th Edition 1982 Catalogue '00' Scale).

post-11256-0-49648200-1381751739.jpgpost-11256-0-69869400-1381751720_thumb.jpgpost-11256-0-28191700-1381751702.jpgpost-11256-0-07795100-1381751823_thumb.jpg

Photographs are copyright of the Author/Photographer 2000-2013 etc.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 14

Sounds interesting. The best advice I can offer it try not to crowd it give it a bit of room less is more kind of thing. Hope youu enjoy it and keep us posted.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree, it will be a challenge not to overcrowd the layout, and we will cross items off of the list if it looks as if it will get crowded - less is definately more.

In addition the majority of the exchange sidings - occassional use storage sidings in model terms - will be outdoors with either locos setting-back/propelling trains into them or the use of an - occassional - on-site shunting loco. This will avoid over-crowding whilst providing operational interest for operators (friends and family).

When the basebaords are up I think that there will be a lot of mocking up with old bits of cardboard and track so as to see how it all fits (or doesnt) LOL!

I am used to 4mm and SM32 so we need to get our eye in for 7mm/1ft scale.

Here a couple of photos of Shoc-Vans on Down Ampney Sidings - they have since had chalk-marks etc added

Kind regards,

CME

post-11256-0-51807700-1381750941_thumb.jpgpost-11256-0-83862700-1381750966_thumb.jpg

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2009-2013

• Like 8

Hi,

As there seemed to be some computer gremlins with my OP, I have broken the info down into more specific Posts.

As some of you will know Down Ampney is in the Cotswolds and the former home of the likes of (Ralph) Vaughan Williams (1872-1958) et al.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=np&q=map+of+down+ampney&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4871395c20be69ab:0xcdfcee9e0f90400e,Down+Ampney,+Gloucestershire&gl=uk&ei=BuNbUvuAIM7MsgbevoGAAg&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Down_Ampney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_and_South_Western_Junction_Railway

In terms of the old M&SWJR, the Swindon and Cricklade Railway Society has restored some of the line ('Swindon's other railway').

http://www.swindon-cricklade-railway.org/

We started this layout back in 2005 with a the view of the well trodden path of a 'what if' line, and as I like diesels, part of the what if scenario, included some thoughts on what if the line had survived a little longer than it actually did (eg. until 1976), what types of locos and stock would be working it? Hopefully more to follow in this aspect in due course. Suffice to say, it would have been pretty run down at that time and we like this type of atomosphere in terms of modelling opportunties. As our railway preferences and memories go back to the late 1960's and early to mid 1970's we have chosen - tended - to model what we like from this era.

I know that many mourn the loss of old branch lines, or perhaps, I should say, this case, trunk-line (ie from the Midlands to the South Coast) and even though drastic measures had to be taken in the 1960's so as to eke-out over subscribed BRB budgets, when looking at the road/traffic issues of today, Beechings widespread, and possibly scattergun, use of the Pareto Principle now seems highly inappropriate - especially in the case of certain trunk-lines (and the possible development/continued use thereof if they still existed today relative to the current 'climate' of overcrowding, road traffic numbers and ecological considerations etc etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Taking this thinking forward into the current age, BRM did a cracking series of articles, fairly recently, on bringing the ex M&SWJR into a more modern 'what if' scenario.

Suffice to say this line offers a lot of modelling opportunties for the purist and the modeller of 'modern image' (sic) alike.

Kind regards,

CME

Map drawing is the Copyright of the Author/Poster 2012-2016 etc

post-11256-0-37437000-1382293847_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-04410600-1475189248_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Down to some nitty gritty stuff.

Here is the first stage of the garden section (which is in effect just a link from the fiddle-yard to scenic section - albeit scenicised by mother nature <chuckles>).

The garden slopes, in effect, in three different directions and as it's on clay we have chosen to use raised baseboards (so as to cope with shift/movement etc.) - which suited my father's line really well.

We have used exterior grade ply (hardwood birch 9 ply) and we have treated it with several coats of SBR and Wickes wax preservative for the boards and tanalised timber for the frames (rough and ready yet strong) all glued, screwed and pinned. The photos show the basic methods of construction (which follows traditional indoor baseboard methods) on the test piece - and in situ on the layout.

The Posts in the photo were left over from father's layout and the remainder are poles from an old trampolene which had fallen apart, so we had a free supply of metal (galvanised) supports - dad welded a couple of bars to the bottom of each (his welding skills are more current than mine) for grip and each post was then cemented in place with Postcrete and ballast etc.

We did face a few challenges with a poor quality/faulty batch of ply (2/3rds of the boards had to be rebuilt) - perhaps more on that another time.

We also had two established hedges die off - through a new disease - and a fence blow down, so we were sidetracked a little, yet thanks to family, friends and a contractor that is all sorted with the garden having been remodelled at the same time!

ATB

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2005-2013

post-11256-0-12560300-1381931175.jpg

post-11256-0-12655000-1381931202.jpg

post-11256-0-05099300-1381931326_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-72190100-1381931363_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-37978800-1381931376_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looks pretty sturdy. I have used 3/4in shuttering ply outside. It needs felt on top. For post I have used the square plastic downpipe filled with concrete or where particular strength is required 4in drainpipe again filled with concrete.

Don

Looks pretty sturdy. I have used 3/4in shuttering ply outside. It needs felt on top. For post I have used the square plastic downpipe filled with concrete or where particular strength is required 4in drainpipe again filled with concrete.

Don

Yep, looks sturdy enough CME

Shame you had to re-build those baseboards :(

You'd think that given that it was exterior grade ply,

and all the correct treatment it had it should have been OK.......

Keep us posted with progress

Cheers

Marc

Hi Don and Marc, :imsohappy:

Thanks for the replies and to all of those who clicked 'Like' too.

Yes Don, shuttering ply is another option, and like you we have used felt atop (sorry forgot to mention that). If we hadnt had the galv pipes then we would have used waste/down pipes ala Cyril Freezer's methods for such (I think that that system would last a life time). We used 18mm WBP ply on dad's layout and that's been up for 11 years - all okay, touch wood <chuckles>

We had to replace, as I mentioned, a large portion of the ply, as the glue failed - in other words it was sold to us as an exterior quality ply and yet the glue wasnt water proof. This was from a reputable supplier - yet many local tradespeople got caught out the same way too and were not best pleased. Luckily we had stocks of virtually buckshee 18mm hardwood birch ply (from one of my dad's contacts who had over-ordered/made a mistake and it was a case of 'use it or loose it, as we are gonna scrap it', so dad loaded up the trailer with the stuff!). One of my dad's neighbours wanted some 18mm birch hardwood ply, he had an order to place with his regular timber supplier too and that covered (with a few sheets of our 12mm ply) the £100 minium order/delivery charge and, a long story short, we did a swap, he was happy (as he got the 18mm ply a lot cheaper than normal) and so were we as we did a swap. So we had no additional costs (ie labour) involved, yet it took a long time to get the layout back to square one and I am indebted to family and friends for their help in this regard. Under normal circumstances I would have flagged the problem up with our timber supplier and asked them to sort us new timber but as it turned out so well in the end, the route of least resistance was taken.

When we started Filcris were in their infancy in terms of garden railways, yet they now seem well underway and I would consider their system if doing it all again, pricier yet almost bomb proof.

http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/garden-railway-products

As you say Marc, it was indeed a shame, yet even with all the treatments the weakest link was the glue.

I understand that the guys who build boats from ply are having a real tough time of it as there are now three grades of marine-ply - all with waterproof glue. Having said this there is, so I am told, is only one Lloyds acreditted marine-ply (which has waterproof glue and anti-parasitic additives etc.).

Seems like weather/climate, timber stocks, and the recession have had a big impact on the industry - also many hardwoods are now restricted in sales/use due to rainforest issues.

Here's a photo of my 'super-detailed' Skytrex van, which aint perfect I know, but was fun to do.

Thanks for the interest - I hope to Post more soon.

Kind regards,

CME :)

Photograph copyright of the Author/Photographer 2005-2013

post-11256-0-12925500-1382027343_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi All,

Just a few photos of some of the Pt Way equipment we are using (we also have some track - curvature - setting tools etc.), which, as the winter sets in may get used less iin/on the garden section (although we may get some work done on the indoors pointwork).

By and large the double track section of the line - using such tools for alignment etc. - will be just outside of the garage and used as storage/extra sidings and in terms of the mythology the line, an off-stage RAF Base, or perhaps an offstage aviation fuel depot, or whatever else we fancy....

Both of these helpful tools are very well made and by Peatree Engineering. In fact the twin track alignment tool/gauge was, so it appears, the outcome of a conversation I had with Peartree - and a week or two later I had a phone call saying '....is this the sort of thing that you are after?...' Superb service indeed.

When I use them more I shall report further.

Kind regards,

CME

Photographs are copyright of the author/photographer 2012-2013

post-11256-0-98992900-1382191925_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-28130800-1382191937_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-46078800-1382191948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Here is a photo of a rotting Buffer-stop on Down Ampney Sidings - I am fascinated by similar locations and photos from the 1960's and 1970's and I always wonder what else there is 'just up the line'.

Also a few photos of the first building for Down Ampney - LOL!

Many thanks.

ATB

CME

Photographs copyright of the author and photographer 2012-2013

post-11256-0-24630100-1382294793_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-84276600-1382294811_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-18030800-1382295169_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Love the door on that shed :)
Great job on the Skytrex van too
Smashing weathering

Marc

EDIT: I often wonder why I like grubby weathering, rust, grime & dirt!
And I always say, I don't know what psychologists would make of those of us attracted to such things in model form? ;)
..... but if a liking for good weathering is a sign of some sort of disorder.......... lock me up!

Edited by marc smith

Love the door on that shed :)

Great job on the Skytrex van too

Smashing weathering

Marc

EDIT: I often wonder why I like grubby weathering, rust, grime & dirt!

And I always say, I don't know what psychologists would make of those of us attracted to such things in model form? ;)

..... but if a liking for good weathering is a sign of some sort of disorder.......... lock me up!

My sentiments exactly. I would have been locked up years ago. It is all to do with realism. I find bright, shiny new objects jarring and ex-works locos even look unrealistic on the real thing. That said, it takes a lot of courage and stiffening of the sinews to weather an expensive 0 Gauge locomotive or carriage.

CK

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Indeed there is a level of psychology when weathering models in the larger scales, I have even weathered - subtly as they are not mine - live steam locos in SM32 (plus stock too - more robustly).

Jack, thanks for the kind words, glad that you like my weathering, I have written a few articles on super detailing and weathering in the past. By and large a mixture of enamels (or acrylics) washes and dry-brushing followed up with MIG powders and lacquer coat. The Peco Lineside Hut was painted and weathered in a similar way as my wagons. I try to observe the real thing as much as possible, take/use photos of the real thing (or anything similar eg 'rusting metal'), with a little modellers licence thrown in for fun. In simple terms my art master taught me to '....paint what you see and not what you think you see...' (I think that the great Martyn Welch's art master said much the same to him), which is a real challenge as the mind tries to overrule the MK1 eyeball, that's because our eyes dont 'see' everything and the brain then fills in the gaps (ie we all have a 'blindspot').

Marc, many thanks again - your weathering is superb so your comments are most welcome.

The Peco LS Hut was firstly spray painted with Halfords acrylic white primer (for plastics) which gave a base for the mortar (I also applied a wash for the mortar colour) then the brickwork was given several applications of Humbrol 'brick colours', in real life there is more definition on the model in terms of the brickwork (yet my photography does show such up all that well). I painted the brickwork in such a way so as to replicate 'Swindon Brick' (which is, aloing with Purton, close to Down Ampney), which is quite uniform and darkish in colour. I have to say that Swindon Brick was made from the local clay and by and large pretty poor quality all the way round. The door was painted using Games Workshop acrylics, with a smatering of Humbrol and Life Colour acrylics for good measure (once again the effect - to my eyes at least - looks better in real life than in the photo). A far bit of dry-brushing went on too (metalics around the hinges), I also used a fibre glass pen to distress it yet further. All finished off with a very light dusting of MIG powders (I then also tend to finish with Testors Dulcote from EDM Models et al.). I feel like am teaching granny to suck eggs - sorry LOL!

As Marc and Chris say, bright and shiney has to be kept to a minium in my book (it has it's place though), unless, as with artists, one wants the viewer (of the layout) to look at a specific area/draw the eye to the area of the layout, using whites, yellows or reds (many of which are to the human mind 'danger' colours). I remember when dad would take me to Salisbury or Bournemouth stations and I was shocked to see how messy and grubby everything was, especially the locos and track - when compared to my 'trainset' - then the penny dropped why Messrs Shepherd and Cuneo painted locos in such a way. So from the age of 8 or 10 I started weathering my models. Local opinion was very divided at the time - as the main viewpoint in the 1970's was that one doesnt ruin a good model in such a way. But my dad, and one or two of his railway modeller friends, thought that it was great and one or two fellows, even asked me to weather their stock and such things as militray (Tank) loads et al...

I hope that helps guys.

Herewith a cruel close-up of a Parksdide 16T Mineral I built, painted and weathered. Also some red - albeit satin/worn

Kind regards,

CME

Photos are the copyright of the author/photographer 2009-2013

post-11256-0-47323500-1382530113.jpg

post-11256-0-41460300-1382530982.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Indeed there is a level of psychology when weathering models in the larger scales, I have even weathered - subtly as they are not mine - live steam locos in SM32 (plus stock too - more robustly).

Jack, thanks for the kind words, glad that you like my weathering, I have written a few articles on super detailing and weathering in the past. By and large a mixture of enamels (or acrylics) washes and dry-brushing followed up with MIG powders and lacquer coat. The Peco Lineside Hut was painted and weathered in a similar way as my wagons. I try to observe the real thing as much as possible, take/use photos of the real thing (or anything similar eg 'rusting metal'), with a little modellers licence thrown in for fun. In simple terms my art master taught me to '....paint what you see and not what you think you see...' (I think that the great Martyn Welch's art master said much the same to him), which is a real challenge as the mind tries to overrule the MK1 eyeball, that's because our eyes dont 'see' everything and the brain then fills in the gaps (ie we all have a 'blindspot').

Marc, many thanks again - your weathering is superb so your comments are most welcome.

The Peco LS Hut was firstly spray painted with Halfords acrylic white primer (for plastics) which gave a base for the mortar (I also applied a wash for the mortar colour) then the brickwork was given several applications of Humbrol 'brick colours', in real life there is more definition on the model in terms of the brickwork (yet my photography does show such up all that well). I painted the brickwork in such a way so as to replicate 'Swindon Brick' (which is, aloing with Purton, close to Down Ampney), which is quite uniform and darkish in colour. I have to say that Swindon Brick was made from the local clay and by and large pretty poor quality all the way round. The door was painted using Games Workshop acrylics, with a smatering of Humbrol and Life Colour acrylics for good measure (once again the effect - to my eyes at least - looks better in real life than in the photo). A far bit of dry-brushing went on too (metalics around the hinges), I also used a fibre glass pen to distress it yet further. All finished off with a very light dusting of MIG powders (I then also tend to finish with Testors Dulcote from EDM Models et al.). I feel like am teaching granny to suck eggs - sorry LOL!

As Marc and Chris say, bright and shiney has to be kept to a minium in my book (it has it's place though), unless, as with artists, one wants the viewer (of the layout) to look at a specific area/draw the eye to the area of the layout, using whites, yellows or reds (many of which are to the human mind 'danger' colours). I remember when dad would take me to Salisbury or Bournemouth stations and I was shocked to see how messy and grubby everything was, especially the locos and track - when compared to my 'trainset' - then the penny dropped why Messrs Shepherd and Cuneo painted locos in such a way. So from the age of 8 or 10 I started weathering my models. Local opinion was very divided at the time - as the main viewpoint in the 1970's was that one doesnt ruin a good model in such a way. But my dad, and one or two of his railway modeller friends, thought that it was great and one or two fellows, even asked me to weather their stock and such things as militray (Tank) loads et al...

I hope that helps guys.

Herewith a cruel close-up of a Parksdide 16T Mineral I built, painted and weathered. Also some red - albeit satin/worn

Kind regards,

CME

That ivy to the top right of the barrels looks very convincing. How did you do it?

That ivy to the top right of the barrels looks very convincing. How did you do it?

Hi Chris,

Thanks, that's a product from International Models - with a couple of tweeks - its for 4mm scale really, yet how does one 'scale' ivy.

I also use the Little Leaf Company's products as well as condiments (the latter for such things as sand/sandite on or around the running rails).

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Ivy.html

http://www.squirestools.com/

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

CME

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks, that's a product from International Models - with a couple of tweeks - its for 4mm scale really, yet how does one 'scale' ivy.

I also use the Little Leaf Company's products as well as condiments (the latter for such things as sand/sandite on or around the running rails).

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Ivy.html

http://www.squirestools.com/

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

CME

Yes, I used some too

And I thought it looked a bit large in 4mm scale

Suitable for either, I suppose

But IMO it looks better in 7mm

Yes, I used some too

And I thought it looked a bit large in 4mm scale

Suitable for either, I suppose

But IMO it looks better in 7mm

Hi Marc,

I couldnt agree more - I think that you used it to good effect on the end of the Goods Shed (sorry photos on other PC) on 'Draycott' (Clarbeston Nth.).

There are lots of instances like that where one can make good use of 4mm scale items for 7mm - you are a good exponent with your bridges on Poynton and Clarbeston.

I tend to get into 'modes' ie baseboard, electrics etc etc., yet when I am in scenic mode, I try to keep an open mind and use what feels and looks right.

That's why I sometimes use herbs and condiments for ground cover/scenic effect - I am toying with the idea of making Down Ampney 'autumnal' (the jury is still out on that one). Looking around at the moment, with the mild autumn, only this last week have the trees started to turn and there is still a lot of green about.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi All,

One of the areas open to much consideration - for Down Ampney - is Cotswold dry-stone walling, there are a few 'ready to plant' versions - yet none, to date, have had the 'Cotswold' feel for me.

The closest (to date) is photographed herewith and from Skytrex (painted and weathered by me).

I hope to steer clear of the 'chocolate box' look for Down Ampney because the way that dad, family, friends and I remember the Cotswolds (in the 1960's and 1970's) was as being a lot less chocolate-box than it is now (with planning permission being granted for many 'inappropriate' structures back then). Also, rather than going Cotswold stone mad the station building will be timber. This is in line with the 'history' of the line - and the slight nature of Down Ampney village - that being this particular branch starting life as a 'light railway' having been, very quickly, taken over by the M&SWJR and then the GWR. Hopefully this approach will achieve the feel of the Cotswolds, yet without overdoing it. Having said this, Cotswold stone walling is a real scene setter and I understand that the likes of Allan Downes has used things such as cat/reptile litter for stone walling in the past (that takes dedication!). I may resort to that if nothing else can be used.

I really like the idea of the juxtaposition of a grimy 1960's/1970's railway within Cotswold environs.

The Skytrex product comes out nicely, yet it takes a fair bit of effort to align the pieces with each other and the fronts and backs (with one side never being quite as good as the other - even with careful fettling).

Kind regards,

CME

post-11256-0-66146000-1382911620_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-51967600-1382911636_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-23837300-1382913987_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The walls look like they have been mortared somewhat not quite drystone. These in 4mm by Jeff look more drystone but are individually laid

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-enough-walling-for-now/page-372

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the Link, Jeff's work must have taken an age - very nice too!

With the Skytrex walling (above) one has to remember that the photo has been magnified ie is a cruel close-up.

What I like about the Skytrex version is the shape of the stones - which is very akin to many walls in the Down Ampney area, in that they are very tightly laid, almost like slates, with little or no gap (at least not when modelled in 7mm). I am doubtful if I could emulate such by using individual 'stones' as the gaps would, I suspect, be too large.

I hope that these photos can demo my thoughts and dilemmas....

Kind regards,

CME

post-11256-0-71168200-1382960512.jpg

post-11256-0-83329200-1382960521.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What I like about the Skytrex version is the shape of the stones - which is very akin to many walls in the Down Ampney area, in that they are very tightly laid, almost like slates, with little or no gap (at least not when modelled in 7mm). I am doubtful if I could emulate such by using individual 'stones' as the gaps would, I suspect, be too large.

I hope that these photos can demo my thoughts and dilemmas....

Kind regards,

CME

True you neeed to take into account the nature of the stone. Those walls in the pictures look like quality walls costly work. I have seen some elsewhere in the cotswold that are more open. Alot may depend on the local quarry.

Don

True you neeed to take into account the nature of the stone. Those walls in the pictures look like quality walls costly work. I have seen some elsewhere in the cotswold that are more open. Alot may depend on the local quarry.

Don

Hi Don,

Indeed. I need to do more research, yet in the Down Ampney, Kemble and local area the stone walling is very much like those in the photos.

You are right such walling in real life costs a fortune, per yard/chain/metre....the railways/local authorities/local land owners et al., in the 1980's and 1990's used to have one guy who was the master builder and then train up YTS youngsters alongside and that kept the price/labour rates down, when that system stopped the price sky-rocketed (perhaps the YTS kids are now making good money at it?!). When privatisation for the railways came, with those lines running through the Cotswolds - ie bordering the Bathhurst Estate et al. - costs were a real problem, when it came to repairing and maintaining dry-stone walls, because of the newer bylaws, building Regs, National Trust, English Heriatge etc.

It is nice to see, at long last, that such things are maintained along with the character of the area - along with many of the once near derelict buildings being re-used and restored etc.- yet it is, to my mind, a matter of that of a double-edged sword. One down side is that although many of the local cottages, which were very basic or almost falling down, were lived in by local tenant farmers, farm workers, locals in general, these buidlings, are now, in the main, fully 'restored' (ie better than when new a sort of 'concours condition' if you will) and owned now by the nouveau riche, film and rock stars et al. and the locals cant afford to live in them anymore. Of course the buildings now look very 'pretty', but I am not sure if this is 'progress' or not though, to my mind the buidlings are about the local indigenous population and not being made to look overly pretty (although I have to admit the workmanship is superb and the 'look of the Cotswolds is much better - apart from some awful 1980's 'barn conversions'), in other words, the people are more important than the architecture, because without the people there would be no 'local' architecture.

I am also not sure how the railways afford to maintain - bordering - dry-stone walls nowadays, yet it was a problem certainly up to the late 1990's....

As I mentioned in the late 1960's to early 1970's things were very ramshackle and not always quite so 'chocolate box'.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Hi again CME
I can see where Donw is coming from re the "mortar"
as you say though, it's a cruel enlargement and probably a view you wouldn't see from a normal viewpoint / distance

You could always try running some thinned black acrylic paint into the gaps between stones
- maybe just in some areas?
I's also be tempted to introduce some moss or ivy growing along the gaps too....

I always used to build my buildings using plasticard with plenty of relief
i.e. Slaters or Wills - I still use these materials, but I do look at buildings and sometimes think
"Do we really need that much relief?"

I often use this relief as part of my painting - 
using the mortar courses to run diluted paint into,
or applying excess black or white/grey mortar, then wiping the excess paint away etc..

However, I think we don't usually perceive much relief when looking at say,
a brick wall - we know the mortar is at a lower relief than the brick faces
but can we actually see this from any other position except really close to it?

On another point. I always thought the Wills stone walling would be too small for 7mm
but a few years back, at Telford, there was a really nice O gauge layout called "Y Cae"
This layout used a lot of the Wills material, and it looked great
It didn't appear under scale at all

Looks spot on for Down Ampney too

Marc

Edited by marc smith