Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Could it be a case of picture size being more than the limited 1MB allowance on RMWeb?

My Samsung Android phone takes excellent pictures but at quite some file size, maybe CME, your phone does too, and the RMWeb software isn't coping with the large files.

I've never tried posting from my mobile device, but I use the mobile app, although you cannot 'Like' a post with it, you can do pretty much most other things.

Dave may be right in the fact that the 'Full' version may be better for uploading, etc, than the 'Mobile' one.

Jinty ;)

• Thanks 1

Er, couple of things,

I think they've changed the 1Mb limit to 32Mb

I use the same technique as Dave, using iPhone & iPad, without problems. I do usually edit the photo which makes the file size smaller, sometimes much smaller, in comparison to the edit which might be very minor.

Hope this helps,

Hope the convalescence proceeds rapidly, and you're feeling better soon.

Best

Simon

• Thanks 1

CME

You seem to invariably reply using the 'Reply quoting this post' option which often means that the post becomes huge with photos etc. being unnecessarily attached again. I just used the "Reply to this topic' option using the Full version of RMWeb rather than the Mobile version. I wrote the text, chose the file from my photo album on the iPhone, attached the file and added it to the post before hitting Add Reply.

In my case it has worked fine. What type of phone are you using?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks.

My phone is Android based.

I understand what you are saying re lots of photos, yet in the cases whereby I tried to send photos I used the full fat version of RMW and 'Reply to This Topic' as I was initiating the Post.

I will try again soon-perhaps there was an IT blip and its been sorted by RMW??

Thanks again.

Kindest regards,

CME

Could it be a case of picture size being more than the limited 1MB allowance on RMWeb?

My Samsung Android phone takes excellent pictures but at quite some file size, maybe CME, your phone does too, and the RMWeb software isn't coping with the large files.

I've never tried posting from my mobile device, but I use the mobile app, although you cannot 'Like' a post with it, you can do pretty much most other things.

Dave may be right in the fact that the 'Full' version may be better for uploading, etc, than the 'Mobile' one.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks, good points, with my camera I usually resize havent done so of late with the mobile as its not usually an issue, but you make a very good point.....thanks.... 

Er, couple of things,

I think they've changed the 1Mb limit to 32Mb

I use the same technique as Dave, using iPhone & iPad, without problems. I do usually edit the photo which makes the file size smaller, sometimes much smaller, in comparison to the edit which might be very minor.

Hope this helps,

Hope the convalescence proceeds rapidly, and you're feeling better soon.

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks, yes IIRC the filesize wasnt an issue, I will have another go soon. Thanks re the health front, a case of 3 steps forward and 2-2.5 back, but I think Im getting there.

Kindest regards to all and thanks for the hints and tips.

CME

Hi all,

Got halfway through new Post-ie text, uploaded two photos, went for the third and as soon as I clicked on it in Gallery, RMW dropped out of the Full Version and went to mobile app version and I lost them Post and photos-weird!

I shall leave it for another time, but I have uploaded photos to RMW from this phone-different service provider, but such shouldnt make a difference-all okay before now.

TTFN,

CME.

• 1 month later...

Hi All  :)

Still healing, slowly, and now up to fettling some of my Dapol rolling stock and adding details and weathering. Not yet up to garden rly exploits, so next on the list are loco decoders and weathering, then coaches (again), or maybe coaches first.

I found out that the IT issues were based around Firefox for mobile, mind you Chrome aint much better....I love 'tech.' it always works so flawlessly NOT! :derisive:  :mosking:

Hope to get some photos uploaded soon though, they are not best quality, but they demonstrate what Ive been doing.

Kindest to all,

CME. :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Im still fettling RTR rolling stock....LOL!

Heres the first stages of weathering on a LH 16T VB Mineral. The scenario is a new wagon a few weeks into service, yet has met with substantial accident damage, thus back to the works for repairs....

.....I still have a bit to do and this weathering project is going to challenge me.....Please excuse photo quality, mobile device used for such.....

Paul Bartlett did tell me whether or not these vehicles carried lantern brackets-sadly forgot his answer-so Im going to fit them as its VB stock.

More soon hopefully.

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-97276700-1506977116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A bit more fettling of the 'nearly new but half crushed and repaired' 16T VB Mineral.....also patchwork quilt 12T 1/208....slow progress as Im still playing catch up with life after Op.....my other half was rushed into hospital too (all good now though-fingers crossed)...what a year!

The 16T VB Mineral, requires some weight in the base, TL coupling at one end, and the weathering tying in a little. But I want to look a little incongruous.....part of the fun.

The 1/208 will end up minging!

Hope to Post more soon.

Atvb,

CME

post-11256-0-90772800-1511054782_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-15551100-1511054827_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-81760700-1511054850_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-32653900-1511054878_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-81021500-1511054909_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A couple of shots of the earlier and later 12T VB 1/208s, the later one will remain lightly weathered (still some fettling to do in this photo) the older van will be heavily weathered accordingly, with repaired and 'primed' metal work/door planking.

With a bit of work, these vans look the part, fine buffers & brake gear etc, run well and any anomalies are soon lost/hidden with detailing or paint/weathering.....very pleasing.

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-58502800-1511216907_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-89148800-1511216959_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Happy Christmas Everyone-thanks for following my Thread this year, hopefully it will be more productive in 2018.

A happy, healthy & prosperous New Year to all too.

Kind regards and warm wishes,

M.

Thanks CME, and likewise to you and yours

Jinty ;)

• 2 months later...

Well its been months since Ive posted, life, the weather and one or two articles have taken up what little spare time Ive had.

Im still wagon and van fettling and building up 'loads' for Warwells and Warflats. The weather has delayed PtWay works, besides that there is loco and coach fettling to follow.

Ive built this little fellow, hes a bit out of era (iirc they clung on, in odd corners, until 1968 and were in the likes of the Indian army into the early 1970s), my excuse? Nice fun little kit to build (Ive yet to add aerials and other details to this tiny model) and a pleasure to build by and large. Also with Shrivenham Station closed and gone RAF Down Ampney is the nearest rail-head (along with a train of other vehicles, generators, plant etc for 'RAF DAMP') to the Royal Military College of Science (RMCS), for a short road trip to RMCS, to be used for teaching purposes.

TTFN and kind regards,

CME

post-11256-0-53711300-1521587021_thumb.jpg

Hi Simon,

They started being quite collectable in the 1970s, along with Jeeps, easy to store in a lock-up or a garage, as opposed to a Centurion tank.

They were very reasonably priced, then crept up to the £8k mark, however recently I saw one for sale, careworn, for £26-30k.

My dad drove them from time to time and of course as a 'scout car' they drove as fast forward as they did backwards. Some had smoke and/or a Bren gun fitted.

Interesting little vehicles and although this cracking little Tamiya model is 1:48 scale it's been more like building a 1:72 scale model.

I strive to be accurate in my model-making relative to my 'layout models' philosophy, yet scratch building soft-skin and AFVs in 1:43rd scale isnt for me, so Ive had to settle for 1:48 this time. I always knew for the military aspect of DA that I would have to compromise especially as railway vehicles that carry such are open - open vehicles are always a challenge credibility wise. Making removable - chained down - load for Warwells and Warflats is also a huge challenge.

ATVB

CME

• 4 months later...