Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Guys,

Whilst awaiting a new fence in the garden - thus delaying track-laying in that part of the garden (fencing and timber supplies in this part of the world are in short supply and prices have sky-rocketed over the past 3 months).

So, over a protracted, yet enjoyable period, I have completed the weathering on the SBLC Grain Store/Shed, looking a little like a patchwork quilt and better - to my mind - looking to the MK1 eyeball than in the cruel close up digital photos, this little kit and it's weathering hasnt turned out quite as expected, yet as the second structure for Down Ampney I have done enough weathering for now (it will now go back in it's box, until the baseboards are up). In the photos it looks a little like a fish out of water, yet I hope that you enjoy it.

All done with acrylics, MIG powders etc, rust, detritus, algae, mould, oxidised 'galv.' etc.

The photo of the roof shows the 'galv tin and the reason why I didnt adopt Marc's superb idea (sorry Marc)..

Kindest to one and all,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2014

post-11256-0-62483100-1402259546_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-81289600-1402259561_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-02266900-1402259582_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-58032700-1402259599_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-86219600-1402259616_thumb.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 17

Hi All,

With a few minutes to spare - literally - I mocked up the bridge.

Much needs doing on the railway outside and the bridge needs aligning and a method putting up and taking down needs devising before we can add the viaduct sections.

A deck needs adding - which for time and practicality reasons wont be prototypical - and that's the next job.

At least we are slowly moving forward.

Kind regards,

CME

post-11256-0-79448100-1402752710_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-70420100-1402752731_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi All,

With a few minutes to spare - literally - I mocked up the bridge.

Much needs doing on the railway outside and the bridge needs aligning and a method putting up and taking down needs devising before we can add the viaduct sections.

A deck needs adding - which for time and practicality reasons wont be prototypical - and that's the next job.

At least we are slowly moving forward.

Kind regards,

CME

Impressive. I bet the trains will sound good rumbling over the finished bridge. 

Really like the grounded van body
I don't know what it is, but these are new fave of mine....
and I know I tend to like all sorts of oddities these days ;)

Of course, there are still quite a number of BR van bodies around the place,
being used as sheds etc etc

Really like the corrugated panels on this one

And that bridge in your garden
I'm showing that pic to the wife - to support my argument for a garden railway!
Not much chance of that though - I'm filling the house with double basses at the moment lol

Cheers
Marc

Impressive. I bet the trains will sound good rumbling over the finished bridge. 

Hi Chris,

Yes, it is, thanks for the kind words, we built one for dad's H&BLR - I say we, I did the designs/drawings and dad built it with a little help from yours truly (to a similar design to this one), it came from Brandbright and came ready-to-plant to my spec/measurements. It was a joint birthday present a year or two back, lucky me (to help speed the layout build <laughs, sighs and then shakes head!>). It's for SM32/SM45 scale, yet with the size of the gap to be bridged (the path) I think that it scales out okay for 7mm in the garden - as the master says ' ...one's eye is very forgiving of scale and gauge in the garden..' (Bob Symes).

Sound - mmm - I agree, I need to experiment so as to get it just right though - may strike lucky first time!?

Really like the grounded van body

I don't know what it is, but these are new fave of mine....

and I know I tend to like all sorts of oddities these days ;)

Of course, there are still quite a number of BR van bodies around the place,

being used as sheds etc etc

Really like the corrugated panels on this one

And that bridge in your garden

I'm showing that pic to the wife - to support my argument for a garden railway!

Not much chance of that though - I'm filling the house with double basses at the moment lol

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks - it has some lovely castings and many a happy hour has been spent weathering it. Did I come to the conclusion that it was an ex GWR design or at worst an early BR design based on such (sorry I have forgotten which)?

I can think of two grounded van bodies alongside the old M&SWJR - one in better condition than the other.

Some of our 'patio' planking is from old M&SWJR sleepers - most had rotted out though :-(

Oddities :- As I have mentioned, somewhere before, I could have gone all 'chocolate box' with Down Ampney and if being built now - in the Cotswolds - then the station and it's environs would be (prototypically) very 'chocolate box' due to planning policy etc. - indeed I have seen some cracking work by Allan Downes, in this, Cotswold, vein, and very nice it is too. But I remember the area being rather more down at heel (rather like the rear aspect of the old railway workers' cottages at Toddington on the 'GWR'), so the station building will be wooden (based on a local prototype) as will the Goods Shed and Engine Shed, if there isnt enough room for either of the latter, then there will be room for a Provender Store (perhaps even alongside a very small Goods Shed). I also remember run down tythe farmers cottages and gravel pits with Morris Marina's sticking out of them, then, when royalty moved in - along with their Entourage and then the Entourages' Entourage etc etc., coupled with the roll out of better planning policy, using the likes of Broadway, Bourton-on-the-Water, Burford et al. as a basis, rock stars et al. moving in, things started to change. Even crass 1980's barn conversions succumbed. I must say that the Cotswolds' architecture is now looking better than ever - I wonder if some occupants realise how lucky they are to live in such a wonderful part of the world in relative luxury? - yet in some ways it now lacks it's essential character (as I remember it). I suppose it's all a little like what Roy England had noted with the Vale-of-the-White-Horse. I remember the tail end of the old ways of farming - and thus living - in the Cotswolds, at the end of the 1970's and early 1980's.

It is envisaged that the Down Ampney branch would have been part of a light railway company (taken over by the M&SWJR and then GWR, then BRWR) - perhaps in conjunction with Cricklade and Fairford - of course the old M&SWJR and Highworth Branch also had similar beginnings. Taking this idea through to a logical conclusion, we therefore have cheap and cheerful architecture, drystone walls, make-do and and mend, all in disrepair by the time of our era (1965-76).

The Grain-Store encapsulates what I am hoping to achieve.

Garden railways? - well they do have a charm all of their own ;-) - GO FOR IT LOL!!

Double Bases - great stuff! I had a blast on the system one contemporary strat (with SD pickups) the other day, I could remember a few licks, riffs and songs, just enough that the neighbours thought that I knew what I was doing LOL!!

Thanks for the kind words chaps - and all the 'Likes' too - all are very much appreciated.

Kindest,

CME

Hi All,

AN UPDATE

Some of you may have noted the issues that we had last year with the premature delamination and rot issues with our exterior quality plywood (see Post No. 33)

The Issue This Year;

The remainder of the - original - outdoor boards appear rotten (from two sources, including the supplier who let us down with the other half of the plywood on the layout).

This evening, whilst pottering in the garden, I noticed a sag in the roofing felt on one of the the older sections (which we thought was okay) of the baseboards and, with a little prodding the sound of rotten boards - due to glue failure - could be heard. Then further investigation revealed that the rot had indeed set in.

I feel philosophical about the matter - other members of the team are less so (with expletives added as and when I spoke to them about the subject). I am now taking the Buddhist's philosophy of (which is a challenge for me) that of a 'compassionate observer' as I now know that many things to do with business, post recession (are we really out of it?), will be more likely to be FUBAR now more than ever before (if I am not allowed to use that phrase then please let me know <Mods and anyone offended by such> and I shall, of course remove it). In simple terms the word greed springs to mind. I am sure there is enough to go around for everyone 'ooh err missus a little bit of politics for you' <said in a Ben Elton kinda way>, yet as an ex-student of business I well know the score. In short in several market sectors' prices have increased when quality has fallen at the same time.

I know one or two - in open forum - may think of me as being somewhat morose, when I have, in the past, highlighted certain 'consumer issues' (in dedicated Threads), that isnt my tack (neither am a rivet counter - each to their own as no value judgements are made), in brief, all I want is better prices and quality for us all (the punters) and for manufacturers and retailers to be better understood by those punters with little or no business acumen (again only and observation and no value judgements are made)....

Suffice to say - since last summer - I have encountered others with similar track and baseboard problems (to those that we had experienced last year) - sad but true. I am also aware of yet more traders who are having problems with the quality and supply of timber products - in short it's now rife in the SW and boating circles.

I shall stay realistic (with a positive bias) as I can see that the world has changed during and post the recession and sadly there is little that I can do about that.

The Solution?;

I always think it's worth mentioning the disasters - as well as the triumphs - in the hope that in doing so I can help others avoid the problems and pitfalls and so make their model-making path a happier and more cost effective one.

The new boards seem okay - I shall have a better look tomorrow as a double-check - and we hope that the existing frames, as before, can be salvaged and reused with better quality ply atop (with a lot of help from family and friends - which is the most challenging part, as far as I am concerned, in us having to revisit this matter once again).

Another massive missive LOL!

Kindest to you all,

CMEsmile.png

Thanks Chris and 2ManySpams. :-)

New ply sourced from our friendly new - localish - timber supplier, suffice to say some sheets of hardwood exterior birch ply (white), which will be treated with SBR et al too.

Only one section of track will need taking up, yet it was one of the most challenging to lay - dooh!

Still worse happens at sea - onwards and upwards <sighs then chuckles>.

Friends and family are helping out and the use of a fully equipped woodworking workshop will help ease the job, so I am grateful for that as remedial work 'on-site' would be problematic to say the least. Hopefully the pressure treated frames can be reused as we did last year.

If building another GR or GR section I think that - as now more readily available than when I first enquired - I would seriously consider Filcris' system/products

http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/garden-railway-products

TTFN,

CME

CME some great work there and very useful tips from yourself and Marc.

Great read.

Regards

Hi Barnaby,

Thanks for looking and for the kind words too, they are very much appreciated.

The rotten boards are up now - and without exception all had failed (in the same way as before in that the adhesive between the ply layers had failed - so the product was never fit for purpose from the off) and I am grateful to my family (especially my Dad) and friends for all of their help to date.

Still staying philosophical about it all and still doing bits and bobs to help with other aspects of the railway and its slow progression - although there are times when I feel like hanging, drawing and quartering the timber supplier in question (my other half tells me that such deeds are no longer well thought of or indeed permissible in this day and age - LOL!) :-)

One fellow in the trade, told me, that with falling quality and rising timber costs, he believes (as do some of his colleagues and competitors), that the - original - local timber supplier/wholesaler has just gotten 'greedy and mean', because, as the quality has fallen and prices have risen, the timber supplier/wholesaler has made their T&C's more onerous with clauses phrased along the lines of; 'timber is a natural product and no guarantee is given.....' and so on and so forth (thus it is his belief that the supplier/wholesaler knows what they are doing/supplying is not fit for purpose or of a satisfactory quality). I feel sorry for him and those like him as such will impact upon their livelihoods, it is bad enough for us but we're only playing trains! (I agree with his assessment of the situation in hand as I have seen elements of this with fencing and other timber products over the last 2 years or so).

Anyway - I am staying optimistic that we will be able to progress the railway a bit further this summer, even with the set-backs :-)

As an aside friends came down on the weekend and took us out to lunch in the Cotswolds (the pub is about 15-20 mins away), which was a very welcome treat on an quid pro quo basis ;-) and it was nice to see, when driving around, that whilst there is a high level of high quality restoration work going on in the Cotswolds there are still one or two old sheds, garages, outbuildings and Lean-Tos etc., that still capture the look of the the old run-down Cotswolds as I remember the place being, indeed just like the, SBLC Grain Store. Enough of the more ancient ramshackle drystone type buildings to still inspire, with rotten - jagged edged - planked door bases, what a wonderful model-making opportunity!

Anyway as far as I am concerned and to coin a phrase, 'this is a local Grain Store for local people - twelvety Edward, twelvety!' LOL!

More photos soon hopefully.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Hi Allsmile.png

I came across this little gem when I was researching Nissen Huts et al. and as Draycott/Chiseldon (our other layout, thanks to Marc Smith) are almost interchangeable (in my mind anywaysmile.pngwink.png) and with D-Day and grandparents et al in mind it seemed poignant.

Down Ampney and Draycott are, for me, about capturing the post war (ie in living memory) aspects of the area, if not overtly, then sub-textually, if you will.

For instance when researching Nissen Huts - the reason being is that my dad once had a very rudimentary workshop in one end of a Nissen Hut, partitioned off, with the other end full of chickens and I got filthy (much to my mum's dismay no doubt) when playing there, whilst dad worked on various projects - during the research I then remembered that my Grandmother, my dad and his siblings, spent some time living in a Nissen Hut during WWII!

Even with all of the modern day challenges we face, living through either of the two World Wars is almost unimaginable these days, so let us not forget, for the sakes of those who gave their lives, so that we could live ours.

The plaque (below) is more than likely dedicated to prisoners of war (I shall research more as time permits) - yet it encompasses what, is for me, a thought for today.

chiseldon_camp_swindon_stone_2.jpg

(I couldnt see any copyright related to the photo - and I tried to seek such out but to no avail - if anyone knows the photographer then please let me know and I shall amend the Post accordingly.smile.png)

BTW the repaired - garden baseboards are ready for relaying - which may take some time as there is a lot on at the moment.

Kindest,

CMEsmile.png

Hi Allsmile.png

I came across this little gem when I was researching Nissen Huts et al. and as Draycott/Chiseldon (our other layout, thanks to Marc Smith) are almost interchangeable (in my mind anywaysmile.pngwink.png) and with D-Day and grandparents et al in mind it seemed poignant.

Down Ampney and Draycott are, for me, about capturing the post war (ie in living memory) aspects of the area, if not overtly, then sub-textually, if you will.

For instance when researching Nissen Huts - the reason being is that my dad once had a very rudimentary workshop in one end of a Nissen Hut, partitioned off, with the other end full of chickens and I got filthy (much to my mum's dismay no doubt) when playing there, whilst dad worked on various projects - during the research I then remembered that my Grandmother, my dad and his siblings, spent some time living in a Nissen Hut during WWII!

Even with all of the modern day challenges we face, living through either of the two World Wars is almost unimaginable these days, so let us not forget, for the sakes of those who gave their lives, so that we could live ours.

The plaque (below) is more than likely dedicated to prisoners of war (I shall research more as time permits) - yet it encompasses what, is for me, a thought for today.chiseldon_camp_swindon_stone_2.jpg

(I couldnt see any copyright related to the photo - and I tried to seek such out but to no avail - if anyone knows the photographer then please let me know and I shall amend the Post accordingly.smile.png)

BTW the repaired - garden baseboards are ready for relaying - which may take some time as there is a lot on at the moment.

Kindest,

CMEsmile.png

The Nissen hut. I have many memories of them from my army days. They were the staple accommodation of many training camps scattered around the country. There were some particularly fine specimens at Wretham Camp on the Stanford Training Area near Thetford. I remember the officers' mess being in an oversized version during training for South Armargh in 1983. They were freezing in winter and the coal burning stoves were never very effective.

They were invented by Major Nissen of the Royal Engineers (Re) during WW1. He is one if a select group of British Army officers whose names are in everyday usage including Lieutenant Henry Shrapnel (later Lt Gen) of the Royal Artillery and Colonel Holman Frederick Stephens RE. Donald Bailey was a civil servant who invented the portable bridging used extensively in WW2.

• Like 1

The Nissen hut. I have many memories of them from my army days. They were the staple accommodation of many training camps scattered around the country. There were some particularly fine specimens at Wretham Camp on the Stanford Training Area near Thetford. I remember the officers' mess being in an oversized version during training for South Armargh in 1983. They were freezing in winter and the coal burning stoves were never very effective.

They were invented by Major Nissen of the Royal Engineers (Re) during WW1. He is one if a select group of British Army officers whose names are in everyday usage including Lieutenant Henry Shrapnel (later Lt Gen) of the Royal Artillery and Colonel Holman Frederick Stephens RE. Donald Bailey was a civil servant who invented the portable bridging used extensively in WW2.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that - very - informed Post.

Dad said that NH's were very cold and the heating of the day was wholly inadequate. I suspect Dad spent more time in them when in the 7th Queen's Own Hussars too!

With Dad's NH workshop we had lots of different heaters and types of heaters and would toast shriveled up old sarnies and marshmallows on them - delicious! When young (and as a motorcycling 'teen) I didn't seem to have a problem with the cold - now it's a different story LOL!

I learned about 'Shrapnel' at RMCS/DA as I had friends and family that worked there and an old lecturer of mine also worked there too.

Thanks again.

ATVB

CME

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been fairly manic here - my apologies for not Posting much of late.

Plus we had a nice week away - and we got to visit the superb Ramchester (what a cracking layout built and run by lovely folk) I wish Down Ampney was at that level of completion in a lovely well insulated space.

Well a new fence is in - one or two issues that need fettling (timber quality is still poor here at the moment) with suppliers rushing through, what is in effect, wet timber - and despite my sourcing a new supplier our contractor  was 'loathed' to switch timber supplier at this point in time. I have to say after all of the let downs we have had at the hands of the local wholesaler - and the great service from our, new, further afield, supplier - I may specify such in future, regardless of what contractors tell me (no arrogance intended, just lesson learned from bitter experience). Our contractor is considering becoming a wholesaler himself, yet is a challenging move. Onwards and upwards though.

Another new fence looms too as - we knew it was coming - the back fence is hanging on by a thread. Due to the fact that my preferred - aesthetically speaking - Larch-lap fencing, is by and large defunct due to timber quality issues, many, ourselves included, have little choice but to plump for Feather-Edge/Close Board fencing, which is, in effect a commercial type of fencing, yet when coupled with concrete posts and gravel boards it is strong and hopefully offers longevity too. There are issues to do with placing such on boundary lines/within easement strips etc. as the replacement fencing is so bulky (more head scratching and compromise). Boy oh boy - to my mind - isnt fencing of this type expensive? Yet one pays their money and takes the choice and hopefully quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten! Time will tell.

The remaining outdoor baseboards have been refurbished (thanks Dad!) Dad turned those around in 3 days flat (all re-treated with SBR and Wickes wax based preservative)!

We havnt re-laid them yet because if the back fence is replaced (within the next month or two) they may well be in the way of the contractors size 12's!

Also the remaining Leylandii cypress hedge was trimmed down so as to allow the new fence space to breath etc. - yet as that hedge was 6' tall and never faired well, and after looking at/living with the trimmed hedge (which would put out new 'soft' growth and yet have smaller diameter branches than previously) I really didnt like the look of it - neither did the management, so, slowly, we are pruning it down with the end result being total removal. After the contractor had trimmed it right back for a reasonable £40.00 it has made further pruning - and thus removal - easy and light work for the old crew here (we wont need to dig the roots out)! I think that the roots will stay and slowly rot out and we will, as with the other side of the garden, plant a privet hedge (easier maintenance and semi evergreen).

The patio needs relaying (on clay), but cost wise, that will have to wait until next year - but we have a cunning plan.

So lots going on - yet slow progress railway wise (again), but the new fencing and hedge will make the garden and railway easier to maintain and look better for years to come.

I have, whilst away, of an evening - and a couple afternoons with warm sun, sea breeze and a wonderful sea view - been working on a Parkside ex LMS BV and the ex GWR Horse box and I shall start tinkering with coaching stock too. I also have 3 SM32 models to complete, never a dull moment.

Photos to follow when Igetaroundtuit.

Kindest to you all and thanks for the continued interest.

CME.

Sounds like you got enough work on to keep you busy for some time CME.  

I too have some out side fence work to do but my design consultant [sWMBO] wants some outlandishly shaped panels that the fund raiser aint so keen on.

I have need of a run of 18 panels down the back garden side so for cost and TELFORD reasons I'm going for batches of 6 at a time.  Oh and I'll be relaying some turf with paved inserts to site a seated arbour on.  Then there's the ornamental pots and Vaux statues etc.  Then I got .........................

Looking forward to viewing your photos.

Regards

Hi All,

It's been fairly manic here - my apologies for not Posting much of late.

Plus we had a nice week away - and we got to visit the superb Ramchester (what a cracking layout built and run by lovely folk) I wish Down Ampney was at that level of completion in a lovely well insulted space.

CME.

I want to know who has insulted our space so we can go and sort them out! :angry:  :aggressive_mini:  :hunter:

Edited by HSB

Sounds like you got enough work on to keep you busy for some time CME.  

I too have some out side fence work to do but my design consultant [sWMBO] wants some outlandishly shaped panels that the fund raiser aint so keen on.

I have need of a run of 18 panels down the back garden side so for cost and TELFORD reasons I'm going for batches of 6 at a time.  Oh and I'll be relaying some turf with paved inserts to site a seated arbour on.  Then there's the ornamental pots and Vaux statues etc.  Then I got .........................

Looking forward to viewing your photos.

Regards

Hi Barnaby,

Yes a lot on - not much time for model-making. We did some more work in tidying up the garage (seems to be a constant state of limbo as everything is WIP).

18 panels! wow! that's a lot to think about - just check and double check the timber quality (many of the old style panels are non viable these days).

I know what you mean, the new JLTRT Cl22 is due out soon, then there's the DJH 'Teddy Bear' etc etc. I really empathise!

Kindest,

CME

I want to know who has insulted our space so we can go and sort them out! :angry:  :aggressive_mini:  :hunter:

Ha ha - LOL - all amended now Howard, thanks for Posting - my dyslexia strikes again!

Kindest,

CME

It was nice to see you both during your recent visit to Ramchester. As you will see from our thread Howard and I have made some progress since your visit and I have been getting on with the BG.

My outdoor railway has not progressed since you came but so far all seems to be well with the timber work - well treated legs and runners and a 12mm ply top covered with roofing felt. This is the same arrangement that I used on my earlier outdoor railway which lasted for well over 20 years. If the new one lasts as long I will be 91 and at that stage I don't suppose I will worry too much if it has to come down!

I too have looked at filcris recycled plastic for a track bed and supports but I have not made up my mind whether to complete the circuit in ply or go for the RC plastic. Keep up the good work your thread is interesting.

Railwayrod

• Like 1

It was nice to see you both during your recent visit to Ramchester. As you will see from our thread Howard and I have made some progress since your visit and I have been getting on with the BG.

My outdoor railway has not progressed since you came but so far all seems to be well with the timber work - well treated legs and runners and a 12mm ply top covered with roofing felt. This is the same arrangement that I used on my earlier outdoor railway which lasted for well over 20 years. If the new one lasts as long I will be 91 and at that stage I don't suppose I will worry too much if it has to come down!

I too have looked at filcris recycled plastic for a track bed and supports but I have not made up my mind whether to complete the circuit in ply or go for the RC plastic. Keep up the good work your thread is interesting.

Railwayrod

Hi Rod,

Thanks - it was nice to see you guys too, thanks for making us so welcome, Ramchester does you proud and is a fantastic layout, I wish it were mine ;-).

Thanks for the kind words too.

The timber work for our H&BLR is merely 18mm WBP and was treated with 3 coats of Wickes wax based preservative and has been down - without problems - for 12-13 years now.

Sadly since the 'recession' many companies/suppliers seem to have a default of position of not always telling the truth, increasing costs, all whilst timber (insert of materials as appropriate) quality has fallen - sad but true and especially so with local timber supplies (but we have a new supplier now who seems, thankfully, to be bucking this unsavoury trend :-))

The new timber for Down Ampney has been treated with 2 x coasts of SBR and 3 x Coats of Wickes wax based preservative.

The faulty timber was treated with 3 x coats of Wickes wax based preservative (ala our H&BLR), yet still failed as the glue used between the ply wasnt fit for purpose and in hindsight the timber quality was very poor.

As well as another new fence to the rear of the property, we need that patio relaying (financially that will have to wait until next year) and although more expensive the wooden sleepers and decking maybe replaced with recycled plastic 'wood' which is very durable and very realistic - pricey too, but should last forever (or nigh on).

Thanks for Posting - keep in touch.

Kindest,

CME

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

A quick update - which is more like war and peace really LOL!

Fencing and Outdoor Boards

The replacement boards are done and awaiting refitting, yet we await news from the fencing contractors for the second new fence, so at this time, still not sure whether or not to relay the boards - they may be in the way. Having said this they would have been in the way anyway and one contractor wont be able to get to us for 3-4 months.

Discovered that many pressure treated fencing products have had several 'nasties' removed from the proofing mix, this now means they wont last as long. Call me cynical, yet a friend on mine predicted the rise of more 'planned obsolescence' over 20 years ago and it's here - most electronics such as PVR's and TV's are now only designed to last 5 years and boilers 10 years! I am have no sociopolitical bias yet economic theory seems to be true for capitalism in that business must keeping selling and expanding whatever the cost. So although much of these so called improvements are made for the benefit of the environment and future generations, I have the feeling that they are made for the benefit of big business instead - time will tell, 'heavy' conversation over LOL!!.

Brake Tender

In the meantime I have been, when time permits, revisiting and fettling my Brake Tender (BT) again.

I purchased this charming model from a nice fellow from The MRC (Happisburgh) it came nicely finished and lightly weathered. It's a GJH kit and a nice model can be had with a little time and effort (I have one of my own to build - fettle and paint really as it's a one piece resin moulding) - I really like GJH products - sadly the GJH bogies are not really up to spec and are only a 'get by' solution (see the last photo for the original bogies - and some additional weathering by yours truly). The issue with Down Ampney is that it's small and will be quite 'in yer face' so although I am no rivet counter some aspects have to focused on in terms of detail.

As some of you may know I initially fettled and tweaked the BT with a re-number, it was numbered as a Dia 1/555 or 1/558 (I forget which now) suffice to say these are the rarer squared/angular BT's. This numbering issue confused me for a while, yet for some reason the main 'Diesel Brake Tender' transfer in the Fox set comes with this number imbedded in it - bizarre. So I renumbered it to something more appropriate to the diagram modelled (Dia 1/556) and then added small details such as the correct pattern lantern brackets (although the bolts are the wrong orientation they are so minute they can hardly bee seen) and an emergency chain box cover etc. etc. I also built and fitted some ABS (with Peartree wheels) 9' 0" riveted bogies - very nice they are too. These went together well, the top hat bearings needed very careful reaming out as the Peartree wheels, although to 7mm FS were to a very fine tolerance, akin to Scale7, which meant that they would have been very tight with, little of the 7mm FS slop, that we are all used to.

The model sat for awhile, whilst we got on with mundane household stuff and the like, but after some additional weathering and a little Trompe-l'œil (the weld seams) etc it then dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to fit my chosen Winterley auto-couplings. In the early part of their career BT's were propelled with guard irons etc. fitted, latterly they were hauled. As Happisburgh is an earlier era layout the BT was set up with a KD at one end for propelling etc. So much thinking was done and the model put to one side.

In the meantime, I came across Ramchester and those smashing chaps Rod, Howard and Mike of Reely Grate fame, and although, many years back, I considered using tension locks (TL's) for 7mm nothing came of it as I thought that Winterleys would be fine and carried on - the Winterleys work very well. With layout changes etc. and the realization the my 03 and BT wouldn't be able to have Winterleys fitted to them I then I knew a change of direction was required in terms of couplings. I have to say, that on 4mm ('OO') stock I am not a lover of the way TL's look and I have to agree with Tony Wright's philosophy on the subject. Each to their own of course though, so I may no value judgements. As well as KD's work, they also seem to jar to my mind an eyes too. So I followed the leaders and started experimenting with TL's on my 7mm stock (with wisdom from Howard and Rod - thanks guys). The Winterleys are a great coupling, ended of course, yet I feel they are best suited to steam era models and not as easily fitted to our 1965-1976 era models (with their deeper headstocks and numerous 'bagpipes').

Then with the BT and the ABS bogies I soon realized that I would have to fit the TL's to the bogies and not to the headstocks - oh darn said I (with more expletives). I didnt want to cut about the ABS bogies as they were 'open framed' and whitemetal....... So I wondered if I could use them on my MTH stock - and in mock up they looked great (I may even still have working lights but as it's NPCS I am not too worried). Then I wondered if I could take a set or two of Shawn's (Easybuild) LMS 9' 0" 'welded' bogies and make them into 9' 0" riveted bogies and so that's what I have been doing. The Easybuild's are easier to modify (as they are plastic and due to their method of construction) for the TL's and I have been adding one or two more details too (photos to follow).

As I mentioned I have opted, for the time being, not to fit the Guard Irons and end steps, one reason being that I will need to fit the TL's and the other is that I cannot ascertain the correct size, shape and fittings for the 1/556 diagram's (with LMS 9' riveted Bogies) Guard Irons - there is also to issue of propelling and hauling (perhaps I could have green and blue version fitted out appropriately and accordingly?)

The more I research I do on these elusive little beasties the more I have come to see that there are several anomalies with the prototype and indeed the models/kits in 7mm. The rounded types look the same, yet there are a myriad of differences.

General things to watch for are;-

Bufferbeams/Headstocks, type and shape;
Length and inclusion of Handrails;
Lantern Brackets;
Length and width of BT body (too short on the GJH kit?);
Tumblehome or lack of and many more besides!

I do like the look of this GJH 1/556 version even though the body hasnt enough over-hang at each end, I like it as is, from a visual point of view, the model looks better than the prototype in this regard (to my eyes anyway), like something from a Gerry Anderson film LOL! I know that the purists will cringe at such but for the time-being this will have to do as major surgery would be required to correct such - perhaps on the next one I can move the stretcher bars.

When I get around to building my GJH kit - I may look to buy a JLTRT kit in due course - I have a number of mods I plan to do, yet as this was ready built, to a very good standard, I have taken the middle ground and as mentioned added the better lantern brackets, the cover for the spare coupling and a few other detail mods.

Here are a few early photos with the ABS bogies - I had painted and weathered them and they looked a treat - to fit the ABS bogies I had to cut and invert the stretcher bar bogie mounts.

ATVB

CMEsmile.png

Copyright the author/photographer 2013-2014

post-11256-0-17727500-1410993691_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-06519100-1410993716_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-33654200-1410993764_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-49570700-1410993777_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-99636500-1410993795_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-47615900-1410993819_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi All,

A little bit of eye-candy for wagon enthusiasts.

The photos were taken for an article written to fly the flag for 7mm in the garden environment.

I have used just a little modellers' license with the PIG Iron conversion to the COIL C - yet it's not too wide of the mark.

Hope that you enjoy them.

Kind regards,

CME

Photos are the copyright of the author/photographer 2012-2014

post-11256-0-52582700-1410993361_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-38373100-1410993379_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Whilst I am still fiddling, fettling and generally far...about....err waiting for fencing contractors et al. here is an amusing little bit of additional eye-candy.

I have the chassis kit and wheels ready for assembly, the loco will need some bearings, motor and gearbox next.

Not for the purists I know and the Cab/Cab roof will need modifying and I shall do my best to add a little finesse to the model with added/removed details as well as a few mods to the running plate etc. For me a relatively cheap 4-6-0. I would love a Black Five but this will have to do, after all, it is the precursor for that loco <waits for something to be thrown at me>.

The model is to O gauge 'modern' coarse standards (similar to the detailed and fettled models that Jack Ray ran on Crewchester).

I first saw this make/model in the shop on the WHR - which wasnt for sale at the time (I asked), but later was sold to my buddy Ross Peacock (a very skilled fettler of models/modeller) - in fact the guy in the shop told me that it was an expensive non working shelf queen (or words to that effect). Anyway when Ross posted his work on such I decided to purchase one and purchased mine sometime later via the Interweb for very very reasonable money indeed (I believe that Ross also got his for a great price in the end). Overall, dimensionally, Ross and I believe this to be quite an accurate model. It's made in the usual US stylee with a good use of die-cast, plastic etc (I just hope that the die-cast lasts as there have been problems with Chinese die-cast over the past few years). The construction methods are interesting and make me wonder if accurate, cost effective, RTR models could be made this way for British Outline - of course this model has a world-wide appeal and has, although rare in the UK, been turned out in the thousands(?) for the USA market et al, thus being cost effective/profitable. Food for thought nevertheless.

It has a very thick coat of paint which doesn't help the cause any - I seem to remember Ross stating that a lot of detail was hidden because of such (he has already paint stripped his). Removing the - nicely - heavily applied paint will add some finesse to the loco as will a decent paint job in the correct livery.

SWMBO - my sweet better half - would like to see it running in the Hogwarts livery ......it will be repainted. I may even run it as RC and I may even, number and name it - with a lot of modellers' license thrown in - as 'Down Ampney Hall', time will tell.

Am I expecting greatness from the this model? Not at the cost of diminishing returns, no. But I do think that a good model can be had, one which will, by and large, fool the average onlooker into thinking that it is something better than what it really is (I shall adopt the same approach as used on my Lima 33's and that used by Richard Dockerill and Phill Dyson et al.) - time will tell though.

Apologies for the quality of the photo - it was quite hard to photo the model in it's entirety - note how the 'cheese grater' wheels wont sit on the FS rails LOL! :mosking:

Kindest to you all.

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2012-2014

post-11256-0-17207600-1411212034_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi All,

A brief trip out <smirks> and I found a couple of 'Halls' so decided - whilst nearly missing the train - to photograph them both, my better 'alf was having kittens at the time.

Here is a photo of 4936 Kinlet Hall (unmodified) which gives me a little inspiration.

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the Copyright of the Author/Photographer 2014

post-11256-0-36835300-1411393854_thumb.jpg

• Like 2