Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

I like the 56 but what are those funny grey, red and stripy things behind it?!? :laugh:

Best regards,

Jeremy

I like the 56 but what are those funny grey, red and stripy things behind it?!? :laugh:

Best regards,

Jeremy

Its a shame the Intercity liveried Mk2s were not on that service that day as I think approx 6 full rakes were refurbished but finished in Intercity livery and stayed like that till the Voyagers took over.

Cheers

Simon

Its a shame the Intercity liveried Mk2s were not on that service that day as I think approx 6 full rakes were refurbished but finished in Intercity livery and stayed like that till the Voyagers took over.

Cheers

Simon

I do think the Intercity livery was one of the smartest ever applied to rolling stock and actually, still looks good today as does the HST power car that has been repainted into Swallow livery.

Best regards,

Jeremy

The next class 37 for Dallam has been started tonight. This is going to become heavyweight 37710 in Loadhaul livery as seen here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/5759893748/in/photolist-jjbjnf-9QXJY3-jPeLSZ-jDFpiA-datD6J-DMdoF2-dQfpJW-dQwB25-9GnCjk-dQ9NyX-oGEQKy-GKHoke-oYUC98-oGExit-dxzfUo-dEv1aY-dQ9Nqv-9PDGhZ-a9YoSb-aJMYRx-oGFTH2-e9iYkV-amERRc-iRphxs-cfv4TC-DN9EqJ-amHGQA-aKiVKr-iMEvrY-askrXh-bpY7gA-aa6ZiL-bKDBFr-9kcpzJ-f3JNPA-HUEzWr-pkTaLS-bKBZKZ-9LYXJU-bwHZmE-cfvXXA-bwHZeb-cfvY27-bWhigP-HHMwF7-QUUuDg-ALw1XJ-rcqveu-buirp4

The engine room windows next to the access door have both been filled with plasticard, a little bit of green filler will be added. A third 37 will be getting done aswell but that is just changing the RfD sector logos for Transrail logos and a renumber.

post-6834-0-65410000-1503179142_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Bit more progress on 37710 in Loadhaul livery. Following the blanking of the engine room windows, the body was stripped and given a coat of Halfords grey primer.

The body was then given a coat of Rail Black all over.

post-6834-0-44940100-1503353526_thumb.jpg

Once dried, the body was masked up and received an initial coat of rail grey to act as a base for the orange, followed by the orange once dry if that makes sense.

Here it is following removal of the tape and placing on its chassis, standing in Dallam sidings.

Still quite a bit to do and a little tidying up were paint creep has occured but overall quite happy with the result so far.

post-6834-0-18813500-1503353746_thumb.jpg

I have got transfers for the cantrail but may have a go at spraying them on.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

That looks stunning fella.

Cheers Porkie! 

Coming on nicely Simon. I quite like the loadhaul livery on the 37, will this be the only loadhaul liveried loco or are you planning some more?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, this will be it for now, however I would like to do 37698 with its EWS engine room door at somepoint in the future.

Looks good Simon. Surprised that you did the black first. I would have done yellow orange black, rule of light to dark, but seems to have worked for you there!

Thanks Cav, yes you are right regards spraying, thats what I usually follow. However with the Loadhaul livery it looked easier to spray the orange over the black i.e. forming the correct angles for the orange with masking tape. I did spray a thin base coat of rail grey prior to the orange.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Just having my usual weekly catch up Simon. Fantastic work as always my friend. A Loadhaul 'heavyweight' 37 is currently on my list of jobs to do. Although I do have a 37506 body lined up with the ribbed boiler roof section for either 710 or 713. I shall be doing the same, filling the engine room windows at the No. 1 end also filling the centre body side steps either side of centre the engine room door each side.  

This is one project I have been putting off for a while! But since I currently have 3 Europhoenix 37's on the bench for customers, it's not as hard as I had imagined (especially not after tackling this Euro ROG livery!)

Keep up the great work :sungum: 

Cheers

Anthony  

Thanks Anthony, knew about ribbed roof but I have forgot about the foot steps though.... bu#@3r. May see if poss to do a little rework to fill them in or just leave as is and remember next time to check the photographs!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Anthony, knew about ribbed roof but I have forgot about the foot steps though.... bu#@3r. May see if poss to do a little rework to fill them in or just leave as is and remember next time to check the photographs!

Cheers

Simon

Sorry Simon. I didn't mean to come across as 'oh it shouldn't have this or should have that' It's just what I would do, as I have already researched and looked into either 710 or 713 for myself.

Personally I would re work. You have made a grand job, and it would be a shame to spoil it now. It wont take much to fill the steps then lightly rub down and blow over again in black. Once glossed, everything will pull together. Then apply the transfers, final light coats of satin varnish and bobs your uncle as they say.

I note further down the thread you have mentioned 513, 516 & 517...Filled engine room windows would be wrong at this stage for a 37/5 example, and beings you have the flush boiler roof section, none of these would be suitable either. This is the way I would look at it, as I'm a blinking rivet counter!  :scratchhead:

I'm being silly now, but if you have a spare pair of 37/4 ends you could easily do 884. Flush boiler roof section, filled engine room windows, just need the centre steps filling...No, you're like me and want an ex side indicator beast in Loadhaul  :onthequiet:

Cheers

Anthony    

Edited by 37058

I think that I would re-work also. I had a similar issue when I did my 45110. I had forgotten to remove the plated over footsteps on the side. That was a quite extensive re-work but it blew over ok and you would never have known.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

No worries Anthony ;), glad you mentioned it as it would have bugged me if I had noticed once all varnished! I am going to rework and blow over as should not take to long.

Next in line is another 37, not decided on type yet i.e 37/5 or 37/7 but it will be in Transrail livery. Got a few prototypes to pick from, current thinking is 37674 in Transrail with snowploughs, base model is 37406.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Evening all,

Got little bits done today on the Mainline 08 & 37 namely a coat of Klear. Been too busy with house stuff. Anyhow another class 08 (no. 3)arrived thanks to ebay. I already had 2 for a layout that only really needs 1! Picked up RFD 08653, this will be renumbered to 08737 which was seen at Arpley yard in 2001.

Here it is on the trip working.

One part of the layout that has not been properly tested was the yard area. Once the rails had been cleaned 08703 took the 2 VGAs under Folly Lane bridge to the loop to run round then head to Arpley.

Now thinking of getting a 4th class 08 to become 08701 The Sorter in RES livery or 08915 3TG with Longsight eagle on the side.

I should build a small model of Arpley Loco Inspection Point for all these 08's!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

No worries Anthony ;), glad you mentioned it as it would have bugged me if I had noticed once all varnished! I am going to rework and blow over as should not take to long.

Next in line is another 37, not decided on type yet i.e 37/5 or 37/7 but it will be in Transrail livery. Got a few prototypes to pick from, current thinking is 37674 in Transrail with snowploughs, base model is 37406.

Cheers

Simon

Excellent Simon. Looking forward to seeing 710 complete. You have certainly given me a kick up the bum to start mine now! 

674 is a great example for the time. Easily re worked from a 406 model and fill the ETH bracket holes. I have looked into producing those 2 tiny brackets above the marker lights, but in 2mm, I think we can give those a miss.

Cheers

Anthony  

Excellent Simon. Looking forward to seeing 710 complete. You have certainly given me a kick up the bum to start mine now! 

674 is a great example for the time. Easily re worked from a 406 model and fill the ETH bracket holes. I have looked into producing those 2 tiny brackets above the marker lights, but in 2mm, I think we can give those a miss.

Cheers

Anthony

Will try and do some form of brackets if I do 674, like you say not easy, maybe some very small pieces of plasticard held in place with maybe Klear or something similar.

One Tractor that I would like to do but will require some spare ends is 37116 in Transrail blue livery.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Bit more progression on the 2 Mainline liveried locos, 08909 & 37 (number tbc).

Following an application of Klear to both locos, the 08 has had Railtec cantrail striping added followed by a coat of Microsol and also some overhead warning labels.

post-6834-0-49039500-1503611597_thumb.jpg

The 37 has had some of the cantrail striping added. Any little gaps will be touched up with orange paint and it should all blend when varnished.

post-6834-0-48175500-1503611696_thumb.jpg

Also received a class 90 from ebay this morning. Its an old Poole model of 90022 in RfD livery. Although it will require finer wheelsets, the good thing is that the bogie centres are right compared to the China produced models so no messing around making shorter drive shafts.

post-6834-0-25635900-1503611874_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the above pic there is around a few mm difference. This loco will become 90029 in its DB livery from 1992.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Will try and do some form of brackets if I do 674, like you say not easy, maybe some very small pieces of plasticard held in place with maybe Klear or something similar.

One Tractor that I would like to do but will require some spare ends is 37116 in Transrail blue livery.

Cheers

Simon

116 you say...

post-6838-0-99818400-1503696293_thumb.jpg

Yes, I already have her in the fleet. I used a 254 body, removed and filled the horn recesses and used a pair of ends from a spare 514 body. Turned out alright. One niggle is when I modelled her, I totally forgot to join the cantrails from across the nose ends to cab side windows! I shall sort this at some point though. If you need a pair of ends, I will gladly supply you with a pair, as I do have a spare set, but they are minus the PCB light boards. Drop us a PM Simon, I'll sort you out. I'll even throw in a set of round buffers too :sungum:

A detail note: On the other side at the No.2 end, there is a small grill under the engine room window and to the right of that grill there is a raised panel. This needs to be filed down so that the nameplate sits in the correct position. But only if you really want too...

Cheers

Anthony  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are a couple of details differences on mine, but overall I am happy with her for my personal collection. 

Cheers

Anthony 

Edited by 37058
  • Like 1

Cheers Anthony, 37116 looks smart. I think Dallam is going to have quite a large 37 fleet as the 3 so far are not even in EWS livery and there were quite a few of those about in 2001! I think I could easily have 10, maybe more! ;)

Got one side progressed on the Mainline 37 tonight. It is starting to get there at least! Cannot believe how many overhead warning signs are on this livery, 7 on each side.

Here it is tonight.

post-6834-0-02259200-1503700122_thumb.jpg

Hopefully get the other side completed tomorrow. The ends are going to be resprayed but will do these with a few of the other locos on the work bench.

Quickly posed on the layout working the Seaforth to Arpley Cawoods.

post-6834-0-27582800-1503701636_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic Simon. 379 does look a treat on the PFA's, and I remember 379 well. Oh to have a West Coast themed layout :scratchhead: 

I am a WCML fanatic, I just don't have the time to build a large roundy roundy at present. One day though...

If you want those ends for 116, drop me a PM with your address, I'll send them up to you next week plus the buffers. A treat for keeping me entertained watching your wonderful layout grow.

Cheers
Anthony  

P.S. Mainline did go a little OTT with OH warning flashes. I remember seeing 37216 ex works, and seeing the flashes before the rest of the loco  :scratchhead:

Edited by 37058
  • Like 1