Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Just a quick note to say love the layout - I've been lurking in the background and watching your videos for a while, but love this.  Spent a number of hours on Bank Quay and out at Winnick in my time, when in the area, and its great to see. Also nice to see full length trains running at realistic speeds through some superb modelling, scenery looks great too.  

All round - well done!  Great to see and thanks for sharing to let us all enjoy it.  Im not really one for exhibitions, so its great to see it in action on here.  Have you thought about doing any longer videos at all?

Rich

• RMweb Premium

As you may have noticed, I seem to always have 2-3 projects on the go at once, probably like alot of people. 

Only 2-3?

Call yourself a proper modeller - pah!

Seriously though, great work.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Simon,

Just a quick note to say love the layout - I've been lurking in the background and watching your videos for a while, but love this.  Spent a number of hours on Bank Quay and out at Winnick in my time, when in the area, and its great to see. Also nice to see full length trains running at realistic speeds through some superb modelling, scenery looks great too.  

All round - well done!  Great to see and thanks for sharing to let us all enjoy it.  Im not really one for exhibitions, so its great to see it in action on here.  Have you thought about doing any longer videos at all?

Rich

Hi Rich, Thanks for the comments and glad you like it! Just got to get the signals done hopefully in time for Stafford in February. ;)

Only 2-3?

Call yourself a proper modeller - pah!

Seriously though, great work.

Cheers,

Mick

Ha Ha, Cheers Mick, thats not including the MMP O gauge class 56 which was started in 2009 (not finished) or the Slaters O gauge Brake van started in 2002 (not finished), MMP O gauge class 47 started in 2002 (not finished)  and the ................ etc, etc  :jester:

Cheers

Simon

Hi Rich, Thanks for the comments and glad you like it! Just got to get the signals done hopefully in time for Stafford in February. ;)

Ha Ha, Cheers Mick, thats not including the MMP O gauge class 56 which was started in 2009 (not finished) or the Slaters O gauge Brake van started in 2002 (not finished), MMP O gauge class 47 started in 2002 (not finished)  and the ................ etc, etc  :jester:

Cheers

Simon

Got a few things all ongoing on my workbench too! It’s good to have variety.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last weeks Wigan Exhibition I managed to pick up another 10 C Rail PFA kits which will take the rake upto 25. This spurred me on to apply the transfers to the ones which were already built.

Here is one with transfers applied to wagon frame. The Transfers are C Rail with a Fox overhead warning flash at the right end. The axleboxes have also been picked out in yellow and the handbrake lever in white.

post-6834-0-05211100-1507493759_thumb.jpg

Once the extra 10 are completed, they will all get weathered and coal loads made. Here is a rake of 15 which have been numbered. The blue containers are 4 of the new ones which were quickly knocked together and blasted over with a Humbrol blue mix through the airbrush. These will need some RJB mining logos which will need to be homemade I think.

post-6834-0-81883000-1507493947_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Bit more work on the recently purchased PFAs has seen 10 running frames built and also 10 containers which have been sprayed Cawoods yellow with the airbrush. There is still some small parts to attach to the frames but thought I would give them a run to get an idea what the completed train will look like.

Here is 37710 working 6P55 Seaforth to Walton Old Junction slowing for signal WN174.

And here is a picture of the same working.

post-6834-0-75064600-1507901098_thumb.jpg

Although the Cawoods rake has managed 2 circuits of layout without derailments, there have been quite a times one or two wagons have come off. This is expected as no weight has been added yet.

Ps there is only 24 wagons shown above as one pack of kits had a different sized wheelset so left out as would ruin effect.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments Rich & Trevor.

Since my last update in October, I have only managed to adjust the running of the Cawoods PFAs up till the last few days when a start was made on checking the locos ready for Stafford.

I had 3 defective class 86's which had issues with the PCBs. One got quite hot and part melted the roof of the RES 86, its mentioned quite a few posts back.

Tonight all 3 have been repaired by cleaning all the rubbery type varnish from the PCBs. The badly damaged PCB was replaced with one from a dummy 86 which oddly enough was not coated in said substance!

Here are 4 of the powered 86's with 2 dummy locos after tonights repairs.

post-6834-0-23687900-1515021676_thumb.jpg

The damaged area of the roof on the RES loco will get repaired at somepoint. Its not too noticeable from barrier viewing distance.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Thanks Stephen.

Tonight I made a start on fitting the Dapol close couplings to the HST rake along with removing the steps from opposite corners. I intended to do this prior to the first show at Wigan in 2016 but it soon went down the list of things to do.

Step removed and coupling fitted.

post-6834-0-14358200-1515104344_thumb.jpg

With regards to the close couplings, I did try using just short couplings but these derailed straight away when being propelled around the return curves in the fiddleyard. I have settled on using one long and one short between each pair of vehicles. This closes the gap from the standard Rapido couplers and also don't derail when pushed.

Here is the HST with couplers fitted on test around the layout.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Like a previous poster said, I'm not an N gauge fan, but really do enjoy your updates.  Was hoping to get to Stafford to see Dallam Sidings, but I don't think its going to happen unfortunately.  Keep plodding on tho!  Love the updates and videos.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Shame you cannot get to Stafford, I intended to get to Manchester before Christmas to see Banbury but last minute things etc and had give it a miss unfortunately. Hopefully will get to Preston show in March to see it.

More testing, here is a clip of the 86's in action on Dallam.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 17

Thanks Jeremy, yes it is nice to see the Intercity liveried stock. The speed limit through Dallam on the fast lines is around 80-90 mph (need to check my drawings on computor to confirm)so certainly not full line speed of 110.

Tonight made a start on renumbering 2 class 66's. I have 2 Farish 66135 and 2 Dapol 66115. So one of each to be renumbered. Using a mix of thinners and a little T Cut, the numbers were removed but some of the EWS gold was too which I expected. This will be dusted over with the airbrush before numbers are applied. I could not decide on numbers and my daughters asked what I was doing, so once I had told them, I asked them to pick numbers between 1-250. So 66123 & 66226 were the numbers picked and neither done by either manufacturer I think!

Here is progress so far, spare buffers have been ordered for the Dapol loco.

post-6834-0-25902200-1515188490_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Another clip this morning of 08784 working the trip to Dallam and return. Using the down fast from Bank Quay and crossovers to access the slow line and then return via the slow.

And here is a video showing a similar working departing Bank Quay on the down fast. The 08 is towards the end of the clip.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Another clip this morning of 08784 working the trip to Dallam and return. Using the down fast from Bank Quay and crossovers to access the slow line and then return via the slow.

Cheers

Simon

My god - have a look and see if that shunter is still active on the network today ... if so somebody needs to buy it - must be unique in fitted with speed enhancing turbos!  For something limited to 20mph, that was shifting across those crossovers!!! :)

:jester:

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I know, it was only after I posted I realised! Used to operating the 86/87's!

Cheers

Simon

Will redo at proper speed!

Well this is what happens when you down grade 'Top Link' Warrington drivers to the local shunt duties!  Liked the 86 video the other evening btw Simon - nice to see a couple of trains following each other.

Rich

Finally got the last few class 90's modified with regards to the bogie centres on the China made chassis block. This has involved cutting and splicing the drive shafts as shown very early in this thread. With these done all were tested on a full length push pull rake.

Following the testing of Virgin liveried 90004, 87019 was added to the rear with 90004 DIT as often seen on the WCML to move locos for repair etc between depots.

Here it is passing a Northbound XC HST accelerating hard away from its booked stop at WBQ. This is taken from Bewsey Road bridge looking South.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Looks great!

Still my favourite layout on the forum

Thanks Christian!

Tonights task has been to focus on trying to get 90028 complete for Stafford. The replacement Dapol pantograph got knocked and required repairing. Took the opportunity to reduce the length of the arms as mentioned by Cav (RBE) and relocate the mounting point to the frame.

Here is the shortened pantograph alongside an unmodified version fitted to the 86.

post-6834-0-49979700-1515451140_thumb.jpg

The drive shafts have also been adjusted as mentioned a few posts above so just got to glue the skirt in position and add a few details and should be nearly done.

And posed on the layout. It should look better once its been suitably weathered and the skirt is glued on and not held with blutac!

post-6834-0-71952100-1515451979_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Hi Simon,

Great video as always. Love 90028 with its shortened pantograph. I've been adjusting mine and also a heavily modified one for my class 91.

I had to do a double take on that last photo of 90028 as it looks like a photo of the real location!

Keep up the good work matey!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for that! Yes definately worth modifying the pans and glad Cav highlighted it. Not sure how long they will last on the exhibition circuit, may look if possible to replace the arms with brass section.

May look at getting a 91 and a short Mk4 rake, one did run up the WCML on a demonstration run in Intercity days or did I imagine that?

Edit, just found it 1993

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6208464965/in/photolist-s7WeRm-asC1kp-rmNpYV-pcJTiG-QVQfSG-pvk79q-qsF6oy-jcXewp-qCZc8v-pvHDXy-dgbGW7-mGsCW7-rnvscj-SdmmN6-aTpZwg-qbUNE9-Sw4mxE-q7rSF7-p214i5-CjbaqT-arBWmk-5t2D5t-q9F4Cf-SdmQ2e-SQHoHN

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity