Need help starting off with 009/HOe

Earl Bathurst

Hi

I have modelled 00 for years and have also had a go at other e.g n, On30, G Scale, EM to name a few but I am looking to start a winter project in 009/HOe and I am after some help. Done want to build a big layout something manageable and that I can put a lot of detail into. Biggest problem is Locomotives don't seem as readily available as in the other gauges I have modelled, I am not to bothered if its steam or diesel just don't want to spend a small fortune. The new Peco wagons have spurred me on to have a go as the standards are superb. Saying that as for locomotives don't mind continental just adds something different to the layout.

If anyone has any advice or help it would be much appreciated

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I'm a 009 newcomer myself.

Theres not really much available in British ready to run, yet!

Heljan are releasing a loco http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68054-ready-to-run-oo9-loco-from-Heljan/

Minitrains and roco make some rtr stuff but are US and european outline.

You can get quite a few loco body kits that fit Arnold, Farish, Minitrix etc chassis.

Its worth joining the 009 Society, the 2nd hand shop have some kit built locos and there might be an area group near you for meets.

Scott,

As well as those mentioned by Richard there are Lilliput RTR locos in HOe which are very good although Continental outline.

I very much agree you should join the 009 Society if only because of the members sales. They have quite a few new items but lots and lots of secondhand. If you want to get started without spending too much this is a great help. They have second hand kit-built locos and also second hand chassis if you want to build a kit, also some new chassis (mainly Kato and similar) and new n gauge donor locos. You get 10% discount as a member and an excellent postal service. Parkside Dundas also give discount on their kits to 009 members.

Other stock is much less of a problem, there are lots of good kits for wagons and coaches, ranging from plastic ones that are easy to build to etched brass ones for the more experienced.

It's a great scale to work in, welcome aboard!

Frank

Thanks Richard and Frank

I have worked in quiet a few scales but never 009 and the more I see it the more I like. The new peco wagons are superb, I haven't seen the coach yet although I read it has been released. Im not to fussed on it having to be pure British outline. I want to set the layout somewhere in wales but use British wagons and coaches with maybe British and continental locos. small diesels and steam. I am thinking of joining the society and the second hand stock sounds helpful :) 

Track plans any idea the best place to look?

Scott

Hi

I want to build something small about 4ftx 20-23 inches wide small trains and as you say oozing character. There have been some beautiful layouts which are small and full of character which is something I fancy reproducing. I will have a look at those railways you mentioned. I really don't mind freelance as I could mix up a rolling stock from Britain and the continent.

Archived