Locomotion / NRM L &Y tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Well it really looks the bees knees, a very pretty engine and probably one of teh best lookers of all among the L&Y fleet; mine is already on order as a nice 'enthusiasts' special' machine.

I wonder if Bachmann will add a Wirral Railway version now they have the makings?  (although I suspect the Wirral engines had snap head rivets - must delve out teh pics that lurk in my collection)

A lovely model. As a child during the war (the last one for those with a sense of humour), my mum handed me up to the footplate crew of a tank loco at Royton Station (probably her late father colleages based at Newton Heath). I like to think it was one of these L&Y tanks!  Having seen these images, roll on the Bachmann BR locos! They returned to work Oldham-Greenfield services in 1953 so thank goodness one was of the round-top firebox type.

In case it is of interest, this variant with original front handrail, door and safety valves, No. 10730, appeared in LMS crimson lake livery.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Utterly gorgeous model, now how do I justify it running on North Wales Metals in the pre grouping period when it was LNWR territory?

May just have to be modellers licence!!

Repaint it in Wirral Railway livery (or hope that Bachmann will do a Wirral version) - not exactly 'North Wales' but a bit closer than the L&Y.

Addendum to earlier post - photos indicate that in its later years at leat the ex Wirral loco had tanks with countersunk rivets so the L&Y loco would be an ideal conversion.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Utterly gorgeous model, now how do I justify it running on North Wales Metals in the pre grouping period when it was LNWR territory?

May just have to be modellers licence!!

A teeny bit of modellers licence would do it. The LYR 3F 0-6-0s managed to make it to North Wales sheds at Rhyl and Bangor and a MR 0-4-4T was tried by the LMS on branches off the North Wales coast line. So there you have it.

So many L&Y models .When will we get some decent Southern or GWR.At least the L&Y tested one on the   S&DJR which makes it fine for me to get one .Make a change from all those blue   Stretchford and Daventry Junction Railway :sungum: locos  Bachmann have churned out so far .

Edited by alfsboy

So many L&Y models .When will we get some decent Southern or GWR.At least the L&Y tested one on the   S&DJR which makes it fine for me to get one .Make a change from all those blue   Stretchford and Daventry Junction Railway :sungum: locos  Bachmann have churned out so far .

I think that because the GWR's followers once described it as 'God's Wonderful Railway' seems to imply a sense of elitism which has been assumed by some of it's followers today which demands that the manufacturers produce only the things they want. Happily the manufacturers don't agree and produce superb models which cater to most people, regardless of it's origin! I agree that the Southern has been neglected somewhat in the past, which is at least being addressed in the form of Bachmann's proposed Atlantic and forthcoming C Class 0-6-0. As for 'so many L&Y models' ? As far as I know the RTR offerings consist of.......Bachmann's Aspinall 2-4-2T! I suppose we could - barely - include the Crab 2-6-0 which was at least designed by Hughes (and somewhat blighted by Fowler!). As a modeller of the L&Y I can't wait to get my hands on a couple. After all we've waited long enough!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Gold

Yeah yor reet  Mow an Coach an wot's that bl**dy great space under t' boiler....shood it reelly be there??????

Seprit anrails. dunna seem reet!

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I'm 15 so I can't afford to get many locos and there's a lot of other ones I'd like: J11, B1, P2\ and my current layout is only a shunting one so running a L&Y tank on it takes a lot of justifying!

Sorry...I sincerely hope this silly old dinosaur hasn't put you off ( I'm 71 ) We should cherish and nurture young people like you. You have an impressive shopping list there. I sincerely hope it reaches fulfillment. Meanwhile....more power to your elbow...and may good Gresleys,Thompsons and Aspinalls attend you..As a lad of about your age ,I spotted Thompson's rebuild of theP2 at the buffers at King's Cross and once had a run behind B1 61215 'William Henton Carver'....and that was in 1961....07:35 Birmingham New Street-Newcastle.....she was deputising for a failed 'Peak' ( Class 45 later ) diesel and was a Hull ( 50B ) loco.....an unusual working to say the least. She was still on the train when I left it at Sheffield Midland,anyway. Best wishes,Ian.

• Like 2