Locomotion / NRM L &Y tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I think that because the GWR's followers once described it as 'God's Wonderful Railway' seems to imply a sense of elitism which has been assumed by some of it's followers today which demands that the manufacturers produce only the things they want. Happily the manufacturers don't agree and produce superb models which cater to most people, regardless of it's origin!

Why would they bother with more GWR locos, they all look the same, anyway!

Only joking & haven't they just had  2-8-0T's & 2-8-2T's recently?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just pre-ordered mine due to the delay in Heljan Beyer Garratt until the new year. Can't believe my luck, I didnt order before as I was expecting to pay out £200 for the Garratt before Christmas. I have never been so happy about the delay in delivery of a model before.

It may not sell out .Its still on the site .Maybe the fast buck guys will not bother as its very esoteric in L&Y livery  .I have one on order as it is a great model in its own right

I hope it doesn't, I'd love one!

I took the plunge and ordered one today…….just couldn't resist. There was 121 left on the pre-order page of the website.

Not my period, prototype or region, but I'm getting a real soft-spot for pre grouping liveries.

Andy.

• Like 1

In case it is of interest, this variant with original front handrail, door and safety valves, No. 10730, appeared in LMS crimson lake livery.

I think we might expect to see Bachmann do that version a bit further down the track ; it would look great in crimson lake. Did it have the full lining ? I assume that Bachmann know of this variant ?

Edited by brian777999

Its interesting how many posts end with words........."but I will buy one anyway " or similar .I now feel the same about the Heljan Sarah Siddons .In  fact most my loco  spending ...ahem,is going on exotic livery locos   and I suspect it applies to quite a few of us .Put aside the 'why have they brought  this out when I need a blah blah (boring) and the even worse  moan 'it doesnt fit my layout which only runs trains that ran from  June 1952 to August 52 and there is a largish market for these  runs .it may not be pure as in the Bachmann 4F in S&D but its producing some brilliant work .

• RMweb Gold

Its interesting how many posts end with words........."but I will buy one anyway " or similar .I now feel the same about the Heljan Sarah Siddons .In  fact most my loco  spending ...ahem,is going on exotic livery locos   and I suspect it applies to quite a few of us .Put aside the 'why have they brought  this out when I need a blah blah (boring) and the even worse  moan 'it doesnt fit my layout which only runs trains that ran from  June 1952 to August 52 and there is a largish market for these  runs .it may not be pure as in the Bachmann 4F in S&D but its producing some brilliant work .

I think it's pretty clear that Bachmann have got themselves onto a pretty good thing here with their NRM association plus their own special livery versions.  Many modellers of us are mugs for this sort of thing and buy if we've got the readies just because the locos are different even if they don't fit our normal modelling aspirations.  And it is probably the sort of market that suits relatively small runs of variant liveries etc.

I think it's pretty clear that Bachmann have got themselves onto a pretty good thing here with their NRM association plus their own special livery versions.  Many modellers of us are mugs for this sort of thing and buy if we've got the readies just because the locos are different even if they don't fit our normal modelling aspirations.  And it is probably the sort of market that suits relatively small runs of variant liveries etc.

I am surprised the Hornby have not realised the untapped potential of the pregrouping era. They have done the GWR Dean Singles with Indian red under frames but not much else. Given the popularity of GWR modelling I would have thought pregrouping GWR locos with red underframes would always be a sure thing when it comes to sales.

NOTE : Locomotion will deduct VAT for overseas sales of locomotives in case anybody was wondering.

I am surprised the Hornby have not realised the untapped potential of the pregrouping era. They have done the GWR Dean Singles with Indian red under frames but not much else. Given the popularity of GWR modelling I would have thought pregrouping GWR locos with red underframes would always be a sure thing when it comes to sales.

I think the problem is Brian, that the 'Dean Single and/or the 'Caledonian Single' and associated coaches are extremely poor models, with lots a 'fresh air' showing under the footplate.  Not a patch on the 'City of Truro' for instance.   Hornby I'm sure would love to have a slice of the NRM pie, but they can't even get their catalogued items out on time and their fidelity is, as mentioned on other threads, declining.

It's sad because extra competition would keep everyone up to scratch I'm sure and perhaps produce even more wonderful linked releases.  Stirling Single for me!  But not based on the Hornby offerings!

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

I think the problem is Brian, that the 'Dean Single and/or the 'Caledonian Single' and associated coaches are extremely poor models, with lots a 'fresh air' showing under the footplate.  Not a patch on the 'City of Truro' for instance.   Hornby I'm sure would love to have a slice of the NRM pie, but they can't even get their catalogued items out on time and their fidelity is, as mentioned on other threads, declining.

It's sad because extra competition would keep everyone up to scratch I'm sure and perhaps produce even more wonderful linked releases.  Stirling Single for me!  But not based on the Hornby offerings!

I quite agree. I only mentioned those models because they have been Hornby's sole attempts at pregrouping. The Dean Singles still sold quite well despite the poor front bogie. The longer clerestory coaches in the Flying Dutchman train pack were quite well done though. It is not beyond Hornby to do a good job on a model but I think they have just gotten lazy and prefer to take the easy route when it comes to new models.

Maybe it is time they set up their own factory in Thailand or Vietnam so that they can get better control of their production.

Edited by brian777999
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I quite agree. I only mentioned those models because they have been Hornby's sole attempts at pregrouping. The Dean Singles still sold quite well despite the poor front bogie. The longer clerestory coaches in the Flying Dutchman train pack were quite well done though. It is not beyond Hornby to do a good job on a model but I think they have just gotten lazy and prefer to take the easy route when it comes to new models.

Maybe it is time they set up their own factory in Thailand or Vietnam so that they can get better control of their production.

..or Margate?

• Like 1

Morning all, 

Showing as "In stock now" on the Locomotion website, so we should all be receiving them in the next week or so as they say they hope to have all orders fulfilled by the 22nd November. There were 107 left in stock (ie not pre-ordered) according to the website when I checked this morning.

Best wishes,

David

Edited by dcroz
  • Like 1

..or Margate?

I think the UK wages would stop that from happening. I suggested Thailand and Vietnam because their wages are cheaper than those of China. There are quite a few companies shifting their production facilities to places other than China.

Edited by brian777999

[ I only mentioned those models because they have been Hornby's sole attempts at pregrouping.

So you missed the Billington E2 LBSC, Caley Pug, GW101, Saint,LBSC brake Van ???

There's a lot there if you look, problem is, most of it is sh 1 t.

Cheers,

Peter C.