Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:19

I have been meaning to start a thread on my good friend John Greenwood's layout for some time. The layout lives in John's loft and is designed so that bits of it can go out to shows on occasions -  the Wenfordbridge section with its Beattie Well tanks and working gantry crane and road vehicles is well known on the exhibition circuit. The Wadebridge section, including the quay, is due to make its first public appearance at the Bodmin show this weekend as a work in progress and will make its full d├ębut at Railex Aylesbury in May.

The complete layout includes Padstow, Wadebridge, Boscarne junction, Bodmin North, Wendfordbridge, St Blazey shed (in the return loop/fiddle yard) and numerous halts, wharfs and dries in between. The layout is fully operable using DCC although only parts are as yet sceniced. I will post a trackplan after the weekend once I work out how the scanner works!!

John has built everything, including a fantastic stud of scratchbuilt locos. My involvement is in the buildings and I have contributed a fair number of wagons over the last few years.

The thread will follow no particular pattern but will hopefully develop into a record of progress on this ambitious project. I will start it off with a selection of pictures to give you a flavour. Taking pictures in the loft is not easy so I apologise for the quality of some of the Wadebridge pictures - I will try to get some better shots this weekend. Those of Wenford were taken last summer at the Stithians show in west Cornwall.

IMG_3469a.jpg

Overall view

IMG_3432a.jpg

The goods shed

SDC12883a.jpg

O2 and N tucked up in the shed

IMG00194-20100917-2143a.jpg

Attempt to emulate the famous Dick Riley shot

IMG_1241a.jpg

IMG_1352a.jpg

IMG_1358a.jpg

Shunting at Wenford

Jerry

Edited by queensquare, 01 November 2013 - 11:35 .

• Like x 31
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 12

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 roundhouse

roundhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:44

Wadebridge is looking superb so far.

Thats a station I have long term plans to model in, if I ever get the space to do it. I have the shed drawn up from back when I was at college ready to build it. The drawing may well have faded by now!!

Ian

#3 cornish trains jez

cornish trains jez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:46

Superb stuff there! Will be following with interest.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Agree x 2

#4 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29,726 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:59

If it's as good as the bit which appears at shows it is a truly top notch layout.

• Agree x 4
  • Thanks x 1

#5 The Fatadder

The Fatadder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationBerkeley

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:03

Fantastic
I hadn't realised that the small section seen at shows was part of a larger layout, very good idea as a concept
  • Agree x 2

#6 Tricky-CRS

Tricky-CRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 01 November 2013 - 16:43

I really do like Johns work it is truly inspirational, that working crane is true genius.

• Agree x 2

#7 Donw

Donw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationMinehead

Posted 01 November 2013 - 18:45

I have admired John's work for years and also admired yours since I first saw Highbury. The two of you working together is a brilliant idea I might have made it to Bodmin if I had known. I look forward to catching this somewhere. Meanwhile keep posting the inspiring photos.

Don

• Agree x 1

#8 nick_bastable

nick_bastable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 20:41

the Adams tank is just wow  

#9 John lewsey

John lewsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 21:01

Very very nice
  • Agree x 1

#10 IanLister

IanLister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationExploring......

Posted 02 November 2013 - 16:44

Hi. I saw this layout at the Bodmin show today and it is much much better even than the excellent pictures suggest. Val and I spent the whole of our 3 hour visit studying it and could have stayed longer. Thanks also to John and Jerry for the very helpful and informative conversations.

Ian

• Thanks x 1

#11 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 04 November 2013 - 17:11

Well the Bodmin show went far better than we expected considering this was the first time out for the layout. It ran well all weekend with a very short snagging list being compiled - mainly to do with a couple of baseboard joints and one section of pointwork in the fiddle yard.

We had a lot of fun with our various guest operators, the real treat was meeting and chatting with numerous locals who remembered the station well - particularly a couple of old drivers and a guard/shunter from Wadebridge.

IMG_3636a.jpg

The complete layout with most of the weekend operators present.

IMG_3653a.jpg

overall view looking east

IMG_3639a.jpg

Maristow street level crossing, West box and the entrance to the quay sidings.

IMG_3658a.jpg

IMG_3659a.jpg

Quay sidings

IMG_3680a.jpg

A very chirpy looking Quay operator

Jerry

• Like x 29
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#12 John lewsey

John lewsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 18:17

Hi the buildings look superb I'd like to see some more photo's of them if that's possible
Regards john

#13 StuartM

StuartM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationSome where inside my head

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:57

Love the slip, any chance of a close up?

Nice model all round

Must be great fun to shunt

#14 Phil Copleston

Phil Copleston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationLaunceston, Cornwall

Posted 05 November 2013 - 00:08

Hi Stuart

The Town Quay section is indeed a delight to shunt. Almost a self-contained sub-layout in its own right and a nice quiet corner to practice shuffling wagons about, in fact. Here is a certain well known S scale modeller (Maurice Hopper) doing just that:

a2013-11-03 13.21.42.jpg

The track layout on Town Quay follows the real thing quite closely, as you can see by comparing this vertical view of the the model and the 1907 edition of the Ordnance Survey 25" map of Town Quay (orientated to match).

a2013-11-03 14.12.09.jpg

a2013-11-04 22.32.01.jpg

The pink lines are the Town Quay tracks plus adjacent main line from Wadebridge station (left) to Padstow (right) in yellow. The solid orange buildings are industrial and quayside structures associated with the railway. The buildings outlined in orange are town buildings iconic to this scene.

You will note that John Greenwood has taken licence and replaced the catchpoint with a very short headshunt (into which you can squeeze a Beattie and two wagons) to make this an almost self-contained operating area. This is apparent in some of Jerry's photos as well. 

Since spending a lot of last weekend operating this 2mm version of Town Quay, I keep thinking this would make a great S scale micro-layout too!

Edited by Phil Copleston, 05 November 2013 - 00:48 .

• Like x 12
  • Thanks x 2
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#15 Maurice Hopper

Maurice Hopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationExeter

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:12

Having been lucky enough to see this (and indeed operate a bit of it) on Sunday I will watch progress with great interest.  

• Like x 1

#16 Donw

Donw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationMinehead

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:28

Now I am really upset at missing the show. Wonderful work.

Don

#17 DLT

DLT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:30

Looking superb! Can't wait to see it.  Do you have any further exhibition appearances lined up yet?  Need any operators???

Wadebridge makes a superb layout, in almost any scale; particularly when the level crossing and quayside sections are included.

I will be following progress with great interest, does the layoiut have its own website?

All the best, dave.T

#18 2mmMark

2mmMark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:14

Looking superb! Can't wait to see it.  Do you have any further exhibition appearances lined up yet?  Need any operators???

Wadebridge makes a superb layout, in almost any scale; particularly when the level crossing and quayside sections are included.

I will be following progress with great interest, does the layoiut have its own website?

All the best, dave.T

As Count Arthur Strong would put it, John's not on the "Ilfracombe". However, I'm sure the layout can be well documented by proxy.

A good few years ago now, I helped operate John's "Bodmine" layout at quite a few shows. This ran impeccably and set me a standard for quality of operation of 2mm models to which I still aspire.

I've seen bits of Wadebridge under construction over the course of time.  It's great to see it now progressing.

Mark

#19 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:05

Hi Dave, I'm afraid there is no website for the layout although I may well add a page to my own site when I get around to updating it. John doesn't do the interweb at all - not even email!

Wadebridge has two more bookings at the moment. A full dress rehearsal at Helston in April - http://www.rmweb.co....on-in-cornwall/

before we take it to Railex in May  http://www.rmweb.co....11-railex-2014/

A few more pictures from the weekend.

IMG_3664a.jpg

Spamcan nearly finished, on ACE, also nearly finished!

IMG_3628a.jpg

45xx and B set from Bodmin General

IMG_3665a.jpg

O2 on a local to Bodmin North

IMG_3669a.jpg

T9 on a Padstow train off the North Cornwall

IMG_3661a.jpg

K11 in the yard

IMG_3662a.jpg

East box, still waiting for its name board.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare, 05 November 2013 - 14:07 .

• Like x 19
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#20 roundhouse

roundhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:08

How did you minaturise the Kernow box? :jester:

Superb modelling  - it would still be superb in OO let alone 2mm.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse, 05 November 2013 - 14:26 .

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 2

#21 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:18

Delicious modelling of a favourite prototype!

At Railex in May, I recall a respected 2mm FS modeller assuring me that there was an element of smoke-and-mirrors about working in this scale. Looking at his work then, and now this, I am convinced he was merely being modest. All modelling requires a degree of sleight of hand - but seeing these S-Scale chaps clearly enjoying the much smaller experience must tell us just how good this layout really is.

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#22 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:35

Delicious modelling of a favourite prototype!

At Railex in May, I recall a respected 2mm FS modeller assuring me that there was an element of smoke-and-mirrors about working in this scale. Looking at his work then, and now this, I am convinced he was merely being modest. All modelling requires a degree of sleight of hand - but seeing these S-Scale chaps clearly enjoying the much smaller experience must tell us just how good this layout really is.

Thanks Ian but I still maintain there is an element of smoke and mirrors in 2mm. John's work, particularly his locos are staggeringly good and are a constant source of inspiration and certainly something for us mere mortals to aim for.  

My little signal box uses pretty everyday techniques and materials - Peco embossed stonework, Ratio embossed slates and a selection of evergreen strip.

Jerry

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 1

#23 DLT

DLT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 15:37

Think the above could be taken as proof that it isnt what you have, it is how you use it :)

And size isnt everything....

• Funny x 4

#24 Donw

Donw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationMinehead

Posted 05 November 2013 - 19:17

I can remember inspirational aticles by John 30 years ago. He was building O2s and Beattie tanks when small motors were very hard to come by. However don't knock yourself Jerry the evidence is on here in the Bath Queensquare thread (and elsewhere) of some superb modelling.

Don

• Agree x 4
  • Like x 1

#25 D869

D869

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:39

Lovely stuff. Can't wait to see it. I especially like the early spec spam can.

Is that the T9 that was on 'Bodmine' or is there a new one now? I seem to remember a mogul too. Is that still around?

Regards, Andy