The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

I really do think this is a cracking layout, I've seen it a couple of times at exhibitions. Out of interest how much compression has taken place?

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick, overall, not too much as Wadebridge was a pretty compact little station - ideal for modelling. The main station area is scale length but compressed a little in width. I'm sure John said overall it should be almost 15' and he's squeezed it in to 12' the bulk being cut from the up side of the station although the section between the platforms and the level crossing has also lost several inches as I discovered when I selectively compressed the buildings there.

Jerry

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John, just read MRJ 235. Cracking article on your 2mm NCR empire, really enjoyed it. Thanks for the Diesels in the Duchy mention.

I thought Jerry's editorial was good too. I never knew he could write...

Thanks Chris.......I can do colouring in too - I also did the trackplan :paint:

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

John, just read MRJ 235. Cracking article on your 2mm NCR empire, really enjoyed it. Thanks for the Diesels in the Duchy mention.

I thought Jerry's editorial was good too. I never knew he could write...

Yep.  Jerry's proved that erudite isn't just a type of glue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always found John Greenwood's seemingly casual confidence inspiring. Not much theorising, just getting on and doing it.

During the mid to late 1980s, I got the chance to help John operate Bodmine at various shows. Invariably, it worked very reliably & smoothly. John's beer-can controllers were always a talking point. To the casual observer, it looked like the trains were running themselves while we took "refreshment"...

• Like 4

The beer can controllers are still up in the loft but no longer of use since the conversion to DCC. I will try to remember to get a snap when I'm down there in the new year.

Jerry, I suspect the beer in those cans is a bit flat by now, which expains John's move to DCC. Now his locos have a lot more zip! (No kidding. I'm not pulling your ring-pull!)  :sarcastic:

Hi Jerry,

I loved edition 235 - one of the few that I read from cover to cover in a single sitting - then perhaps I would say that!

John's matter-of-fact approach to 2mmFS modelling is a breath of fresh air and an example to us all. The NCR is superb; I've played with Wenford Bridge several times. It is a joy to operate and one day, I'd love to see the rest in the flesh. Congratulations John.

I loved the idiosyncrasies of Quai:87; modelling of the highest standard, the operation of which must make a Rubik's Cube seem child's play.

Gordon's baseboard construction method was very informative, as were the "Eye in the Sky" and "Gauge One" articles. But I have no idea how you persuaded Laurie to venture into 2mmFS, with such terrific results. Perhaps he will do it again.

All in all, a brilliant edition - well done Mr Editor and well done all the contributors.

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jerry,

I loved edition 235 - one of the few that I read from cover to cover in a single sitting - then perhaps I would say that!

...But I have no idea how you persuaded Laurie to venture into 2mmFS, with such terrific results. Perhaps he will do it again.

I found it difficult to tell how good Laurie Griffin's 4F actually was (I'm sure it is good).  The 3 photos of a finished (but unpainted) loco just confirmed that Jerry has done a great job with his!

I'd love to see more on constructing the body.

Sorry, veering off topic.

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

John, Phil Coplestone and myself took Wadebridge to the small but delightful Hayle show over the Bank Holiday weekend and below is a small selection of pictures.

post-1074-0-00348100-1441045126_thumb.jpg

First up we have the latest stunning creation to roll off John's bench. She's still not quite finished but we couldn't resist pressing her into service and she proved to be a powerful and silky smooth performer.

We know Arthur's never made it west of Exeter but they are a favourite of John's and when they they look and perform this well who is to argue with a bit of modellers licence.

post-1074-0-36874600-1441045177_thumb.jpg

Next we have the new Farish N with the wheels skimmed and new 2FS rims attached. The valve gear is a bit clunky and it needs a bit of work with the paintbrush but another silky performer which took a fraction of the time to do compared with the scratch built N on the line.

post-1074-0-14560000-1441045193_thumb.jpg

007, ' Wadebridge', still awaiting nameplates rolls into the station from Padstow.

post-1074-0-80966700-1441045219_thumb.jpg

Finally an interloper, my MR 1F for Bath which I chipped and took down for running trials. I'm pleased to say she performed faultlessly At various times shunting the yards, working a three coach local to Bodmin and return and taking a twenty five wagon freight up the North Cornwall line with traction to spare - very gratifying. Phil will hopefully post a picture off her leaving Wadebridge with the freight in tow.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

John, Phil Coplestone and myself took Wadebridge to the small but delightful Hayle show over the Bank Holiday weekend and below is a small selection of pictures.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

First up we have the latest stunning creation to roll off John's bench. She's still not quite finished but we couldn't resist pressing her into service and she proved to be a powerful and silky smooth performer.

We know Arthur's never made it west of Exeter but they are a favourite of John's and when they they look and perform this well who is to argue with a bit of modellers licence.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Next we have the new Farish N with the wheels skimmed and new 2FS rims attached. The valve gear is a bit clunky and it needs a bit of work with the paintbrush but another silky performer which took a fraction of the time to do compared with the scratch built N on the line.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

007, ' Wadebridge', still awaiting nameplates rolls into the station from Padstow.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Finally an interloper, my MR 1F for Bath which I chipped and took down for running trials. I'm pleased to say she performed faultlessly At various times shunting the yards, working a three coach local to Bodmin and return and taking a twenty five wagon freight up the North Cornwall line with traction to spare - very gratifying. Phil will hopefully post a picture off her leaving Wadebridge with the freight in tow.

Jerry

Eight months since the previous update! We don't see enough of this amazing layout.

My abject apologies to Jerry & the crew for my mother who stood in front of this layout at Hayle on Saturday and asked if it was N Gauge... :O :nono: :blush:

I tried to put her right asap, and hope no offense was caused.... ;)

From my own point of view, it was nice to see a layout with an extensive freight yard that was actually being shunted! :yes: Too often with layouts that have a through-Station, the goods yards might as well be scenic afterthoughts! :mad:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My abject apologies to Jerry & the crew for my mother who stood in front of this layout at Hayle on Saturday and asked if it was N Gauge... :O :nono: :blush:

I tried to put her right asap, and hope no offense was caused.... ;)

From my own point of view, it was nice to see a layout with an extensive freight yard that was actually being shunted! :yes: Too often with layouts that have a through-Station, the goods yards might as well be scenic afterthoughts! :mad:

Certainly no offence :-)) Was your mum the absolute charmer who lives just outside Truro and wanted a working turntable so that regular steam could return to Cornwall? If so she was an absolute delight and a real treat to chat to.

We like shunting, hence reliable locos and automatic couplings are essential - John is the G in DG couplings. Wadebridge is great to operate. As well as the variety of movements in both directions on the main line, Bodmin and Wenford lines there are also two goods yards and the Town quay sidings with all the subsequent trip workings along with loco changes and other movements around the shed. Add in tail traffic which is added or removed from through trains and you are never short of something to do.

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Eight months since the previous update! We don't see enough of this amazing layout.

The layout is operational all year round but pictures are very difficult in the loft. We take it out twice a year and I try to get some pictures and report any progress then. It's next trip out is to Trainwest in March 2016 and I have some more buildings in the High Street, replacement of some of the mock up buildings on the quay and some much needed vans as my target.

John has some locos to finish, the terrace behind the goods sidings and more work at the east of the station. Then of course there is Padstow. John has already made the pointwork and I'm hoping to get the baseboards done over the winter...........

Jerry

• Like 3

Certainly no offence :-)) Was your mum the absolute charmer who lives just outside Truro and wanted a working turntable so that regular steam could return to Cornwall? If so she was an absolute delight and a real treat to chat to.

Only kidding about the offence of course, it was good to say hello! No, sorry, that wasn't my mother; we all live in the Midlands. Truro I wish!! ;)