The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely superb rendition of one of my all time favourite railway locations. Having researched the location myself I'm familiar with Wadebridge that was and really think the team have done it great justice.

Lovely signals <G>, but with all these UQ arms appearing with the Southern Rly stock I'm getting a bit confused about what era is being modelled - could someone remind me please?

A word (or two) on terminology, if I may...

In post 158 the ringed arm under the Down Advanced Starting at West box was NOT a calling-on arm, but a normal SR goods line signal (WW No 4 'To Up Sidings Signal').

Just to confuse the issues, at the East box in the Up direction there were Home (at the ends of the platforms) and Starting signals only, the latter being the 2-doll bracket (WE Nos 36 and 38) shown in post 157 (NOT Advanced Starting). By contrast, in the Down direction at West box there were Starting and Advanced Starting signals only! Don't ask me why.....tho' I suspect that perhaps the two box had alterations at different times, when different terminologies applied.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely signals <G>, but with all these UQ arms appearing with the Southern Rly stock I'm getting a bit confused about what era is being modelled - could someone remind me please?

In post 158 the ringed arm under the Down Advanced Starting at West box was NOT a calling-on arm, but a normal SR goods line signal (WW No 4 'To Up Sidings Signal').

Just to confuse the issues, at the East box in the Up direction there were Home (at the ends of the platforms) and Starting signals only, the latter being the 2-doll bracket (WE Nos 36 and 38) shown in post 157 (NOT Advanced Starting). By contrast, in the Down direction at West box there were Starting and Advanced Starting signals only! Don't ask me why.....tho' I suspect that perhaps the two box had alterations at different times, when different terminologies applied.

A post that starts 'lovely signals but....' has me nervous

Period modelled is somewhat flexible, it's broadly immediate post war so John can run a spam can but He prefers pre war livery so that predominates. There are other anomalies due to aesthetic changes being made due to some compression.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

Up until the recent re-signalling at Stirling there was, IRC, a Stevens lattice post with an upper quadrant signal, carrying a bracket with a CR lower quadrant subsidiary signal and at its base were a modern disc signal alongside which was a Stevens drop-flap ground signal.

Jim

Would it be this one on the left?

post-4474-0-87430600-1460580753_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif100841 STIR 31:7:85.jpg

It might be -  but that one went well before the 'recent resignalling'.  Checking my April 2003 Stirling pictures it had gone by then as can be seen from my picture below - albeit taken looking in the opposite direction.  So judging by my earlier Stirling pictures in which it was included the one in that picture went sometime between 1993 and 2003.   

post-6859-0-10553700-1460583307_thumb.jpg

Lovely signals <G>, but with all these UQ arms appearing with the Southern Rly stock I'm getting a bit confused about what era is being modelled - could someone remind me please?

In post 158 the ringed arm under the Down Advanced Starting at West box was NOT a calling-on arm, but a normal SR goods line signal (WW No 4 'To Up Sidings Signal').

Hi RailWest,

Thanks for the signalling info. You may be right. In the Down direction I accept the correct SR terminology for the Down 'calling-on arm' is perhaps a 'goods line signal' and have amended my caption accordingly.

But I have left my description of the Up advanced starters (next to the overbridge) unaltered because at that end of the layout John has not strictly followed the original track layout, it being very compressed between the signal box and the overbridge. On John's layout this pair of signals thus serve as advanced starters.

Hope this clarifies.     

Edited by Phil Copleston

It was indeed.  You can see the CR miniature arm on the bracket.

It might be -  but that one went well before the 'recent resignalling'.  Checking my April 2003 Stirling pictures it had gone by then as can be seen from my picture below - albeit taken looking in the opposite direction.  So judging by my earlier Stirling pictures in which it was included the one in that picture went sometime between 1993 and 2003.   

You are probably correct.  I first saw it when waiting to board a MotorRail service to Brockenhurst in c1972.    I hadn't been around Stirling much between then and now, but have passed through by train a few times recently and noticed that it had gone.

Jim

Phil Copleston, on 13 Apr 2016 - 22:37, said:

Hi RailWest,

Thanks for the signalling info. You may be right. In the Down direction I accept the correct SR terminology for the Down 'calling-on arm' is perhaps a 'goods line signal' and have amended my caption accordingly.

But I have left my description of the Up advanced starters (next to the overbridge) unaltered because at that end of the layout John has not strictly followed the original track layout, it being very compressed between the signal box and the overbridge. On John's layout this pair of signals thus serve as advanced starters.

Hope this clarifies.     

Thanks for the various replies - actually, Jerry, I thought any mention of signals made you nervous....:-)

As regarding a 'theorist' approach - not so, I was merely quoting direct from the 'official' descriptions in the respective Locking Tables for the two boxes. The irony is that the East box descriptions in the Table do correspond with the accepted theory, whereas those at the West box do not!  (Compression of the layout is irrelevant, as it has not affected the relative positions of the signals to their boxes.) It just goes to show that there are always exceptions to the rules! Anyway, ultimately it is up to the builders to describe their models as they see fit - the main thing is that the signals like nice, appear to be in the right place, and (hopefully) get used properly :-) 

• Like 1

And finally... some pics of the folks who made our appearance with 'Wadebridge' at Trainwest such a cracking weekend!

Especial thanks go to John and Edna Greenwood for kindly allowing us to play with their wonderful trainset, of course. And thanks to Jerry (queensquare) and Kim Clifford for their ever-welcoming hospitality over the weekend. Guest operators were Tom (TomE), Josh (SRfanJV), Laurie Griffin, Jerry and me. And what a jolly and inspiring time we all had!

attachicon.gif01. 20160410_161023 (1500).jpg

For most of the two days of the show the visitors were packed in front of the layout, as can be seen here. TomE is on the left, operating, while John Greenwood is sorting things out in the fiddleyard (St Blazey Shed). In front of the layout is Jim Allwood (far end) - former Chairman of the 2mm Scale Association.  

attachicon.gif02. 20160410_161057 (1500).jpg

TomE and John G behind the layout (with Laurie Griffin obscured behind John), while Edna Greenwood is out front chatting to visitors and Jim Allwood (extreme left).

attachicon.gif03. 20160410_161227 (1600).jpg

TomE and John keeping the trains busy and the visitors (and picture-takers) happy!

attachicon.gif04. 20160410_160853 (1500).jpg

TomE having a fun time! What a stalwart - Tom put in many hours operating over the weekend. Behind the layout (with their backs to us) are Laurie Griffin and John G deep in conversation (over Laurie's scratchbuilt 7mm Beattie Well Tank chassis, I seem to remember). 

attachicon.gif05. 20160410_161635 (1300).jpg

Jerry (queesquare) and John G busy operating.

attachicon.gif06. 20160410_161718 (1500).jpg

TomE and Jerry still at it - although Jerry appears to be distracted by a modelling question from Kyra Field (daughter of mutual modelling friends Eddie and Rachael Field) at the far end!

attachicon.gif07. 20160410_161809 (1500).jpg

The back of the layout - the bit you don't normally see! Left to right are John Greenwood and TomE, and out front is Edna Greenwood talking to Kim Clifford ("Mrs Queensquare"!). 

That's it for now folks. Next outing for 'Wadebridge' will be the Uckfield show in October http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib16nf.html (a photo of John's 2mm T9 4-4-0 No.119 is on their website's headline banner). So be sure to catch up with it there and see for yourself - it's quite breath-taking in both quality of execution and the vision of what John Greenwood is attempting - to model the whole of the Bodmin & Wadebridge railway in 2mm finescale (see earlier post #32 for overall layout grand plan).

Phil and others, thanks for all those brilliant photos - almost as if I had been there. Great stuff and a wonderful layout; one day I may get to drive it!

Best wishes to you all. John

Wadebridge has come on a very long way since I had the privilege of operating the quay at Bodmin a while back. It really is looking very good. Congratulation to all those involved, especially John, with his ability to keep a focus on a single long-term project. Excellent... Maurice

Edited by Maurice Hopper
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I made a brief visit to the Model Railway Exhibition in Wadebridge today and although I do not model in 2mm scale I must say how very impressed I was with the whole concept of this project. The modelling is wonderful.

Such layouts even if not in an individual's preferred scale, time or region etc can provide so much inspiration to us all.

What a treat it would be to see the whole system in operation.

Thanks to Jerry for answering my questions.

Best wishes

• Like 2

'WADEBRIDGE' AT WADEBRIDGE, Saturday 17th September - Wadebridge exhibition, Wadebridge School, Cornwall.

Here are some pics of John Greenwood's wonderful layout taken at last Saturday's show - the first time it has been exhibited in its home town! Included are some photos showing latest developments.

First, some general shots:

post-14107-0-13549000-1474281828_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-09924300-1474281852_thumb.jpg

These previous two views ably demonstrates how the railway is constrained between the tidal River Camel and the town of Wadebridge.

post-14107-0-63266500-1474281878_thumb.jpg

'Spam Can' 21C07 'Wadebridge' (currently minus nameplates) pauses at its namesake town with the remaining three-coach portion of the Atlantic Coast Express, plus van, before proceeding to Padstow. 

post-14107-0-12773800-1474281925_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-93055800-1474281950_thumb.jpg

GWR 'Large Prairie' (scratchbuilt chassis, Farish body) and unpainted etched B-set depart for Bodmin North.

post-14107-0-69816500-1474281971_thumb.jpg

SR N Class Mogul No.1837 with a three-coach local to Halwill Junction approaches the station.

post-14107-0-75292200-1474281991_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-86413400-1474282013_thumb.jpg

At the moment there are some sketched-in temporary house flats based on the real ones (there is some compression) to help get the mix right and the feel of the urban setting behind the railway. The proper ones will be based on these and coloured in.  

Now for some of the improvements. Jerry has built some more of the buildings that constitute the town scene:

post-14107-0-46496100-1474282115_thumb.jpg

Jerry has produced a temporary card mock-up of the Town Hall and adjacent buildings (the orangy-coloured buildings). Before the show opened Jerry placed it in its allotted space and after some consideration felt it was too dominant and thus reduced its height by a few millimetres by cutting a portion out of the middle. The permanent model will consequently sit better towards the back of the townscene without dominating its setting.      

post-14107-0-57765600-1474282137_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-28777600-1474282204_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-01857100-1474282231_thumb.jpg

Several more lower buildings are still to go in to the left of the Town Hall.

post-14107-0-79691400-1474282310_thumb.jpg

Jerry has also been finishing off some of the warehouses on Town Quay - this one with roof advertising.

post-14107-0-74437200-1474282474_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-06588700-1474282509_thumb.jpg

Towards the end of the day, Jerry sneeked on his 'Bubble Car' and North British Class 22 diesel-hydraulic on a demolition train!

post-14107-0-85813700-1474282532_thumb.jpg

And finally...

post-14107-0-81807400-1474282632_thumb.jpg

This is John's absolutely superb GWR 45xx 'Small Prairie' No.4569 - it is scratchbuilt, with the body partially utilising a 2mm test-etch. John is a true master of his art. This model is so good you can't really tell what scale it is, let alone that it is 2mm finescale - just as finescale modelling should be.

So there we are. I hope you enjoyed that sample from the Wadebridge show. Next outing for the 'Wadebridge' layout will be the forthcoming Uckfield exhibition on 15th/16th October http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib16nf.html Don't miss it!

My thanks go to John for again kindly inviting me to help operate. And to Jerry Clifford for his encouragement and jolly banter!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for posting the pictures Phil. Taking Wadebridge out and back for a one day show is exhausting and I don't think we would contemplate it except in its home town. That said, exhibiting Wadebridge in Wadebridge is extremely rewarding as such a high proportion of the audience remember the station and know the area well.

Looking at the pictures we did have rather a lot of visiting locos - not just my diseasels! I see the 'tanner-onner' made it out on the as yet unpainted B set which will eventually replace the Dapol one.

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I made a brief visit to the Model Railway Exhibition in Wadebridge today and although I do not model in 2mm scale I must say how very impressed I was with the whole concept of this project. The modelling is wonderful.

Such layouts even if not in an individual's preferred scale, time or region etc can provide so much inspiration to us all.

What a treat it would be to see the whole system in operation.

Thanks to Jerry for answering my questions.

Best wishes

Was good to meet up and have a chat. I'm glad you enjoyed the layout.

Jerry

<<Jerry has produced a temporary card mock-up of the Town Hall and adjacent buildings (the orangy-coloured buildings). Before the show opened Jerry placed it in its allotted space and after some consideration felt it was too dominant and thus reduced its height by a few millimetres by cutting a portion out of the middle. The permanent model will consequently sit better towards the back of the townscene without dominating its setting. >>

More Town Hall cuts!

:stinker: :stinker:  :stinker: 

Kevin!

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for posting the pictures Phil. Taking Wadebridge out and back for a one day show is exhausting and I don't think we would contemplate it except in its home town. That said, exhibiting Wadebridge in Wadebridge is extremely rewarding as such a high proportion of the audience remember the station and know the area well.

Looking at the pictures we did have rather a lot of visiting locos - not just my diseasels! I see the 'tanner-onner' made it out on the as yet unpainted B set which will eventually replace the Dapol one.

Jerry

Taking Treneglos to Wadebridge show was one, if not the, highlight of our exhibition tour. Not the biggest show or best attended but can't be beaten for NCR atmosphere. Wish I'd been down there with you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Phil Copleston, on 19 Sept 2016 - 11:59, said:Phil Copleston, on 19 Sept 2016 - 11:59, said:

'WADEBRIDGE' AT WADEBRIDGE, Saturday 17th September - Wadebridge exhibition, Wadebridge School, Cornwall.

Here are some pics of John Greenwood's wonderful layout taken at last Saturday's show - the first time it has been exhibited in its home town! Included are some photos showing latest developments.

First, some general shots:

attachicon.gif01-20160917_161328 (1300).jpg

attachicon.gif02-20160917_161342 (1300).jpg

These previous two views ably demonstrates how the railway is constrained between the tidal River Camel and the town of Wadebridge.

attachicon.gif03-20160917_155806_001 (1500).jpg

'Spam Can' 21C07 'Wadebridge' (currently minus nameplates) pauses at its namesake town with the remaining three-coach portion of the Atlantic Coast Express, plus van, before proceeding to Padstow. 

attachicon.gif04-20160917_155935_002 (1500).jpg

attachicon.gif05-20160917_161315 (1300).jpg

GWR 'Large Prairie' (scratchbuilt chassis, Farish body) and unpainted etched B-set depart for Bodmin North.

attachicon.gif06-20160917_161939 (1500).jpg

SR N Class Mogul No.1837 with a three-coach local to Halwill Junction approaches the station.

attachicon.gif07-20160917_155817 (1400).jpg

attachicon.gif08-20160917_161906 (1500).jpg

At the moment there are some sketched-in temporary house flats based on the real ones (there is some compression) to help get the mix right and the feel of the urban setting behind the railway. The proper ones will be based on these and coloured in.  

Now for some of the improvements. Jerry has built some more of the buildings that constitute the town scene:

attachicon.gif09-20160917_161223 (1400).jpg

Jerry has produced a temporary card mock-up of the Town Hall and adjacent buildings (the orangy-coloured buildings). Before the show opened Jerry placed it in its allotted space and after some consideration felt it was too dominant and thus reduced its height by a few millimetres by cutting a portion out of the middle. The permanent model will consequently sit better towards the back of the townscene without dominating its setting.      

attachicon.gif11-20160917_161450 (1500).jpg

attachicon.gif12-20160917_161737_001 (1500).jpg

attachicon.gif13-20160917_161704 (1500).jpg

Several more lower buildings are still to go in to the left of the Town Hall.

attachicon.gif14-20160917_155843_001 (1400).jpg

Jerry has also been finishing off some of the warehouses on Town Quay - this one with roof advertising.

attachicon.gif15-20160917_155914 (1400).jpg

attachicon.gif16-20160917_161256 (1500).jpg

Towards the end of the day, Jerry sneeked on his 'Bubble Car' and North British Class 22 diesel-hydraulic on a demolition train!

attachicon.gif17-20160917_161207 (1200).jpg

And finally...

attachicon.gif18-20160917_155302 (1800).jpg

This is John's absolutely superb GWR 45xx 'Small Prairie' No.4569 - it is scratchbuilt, with the body partially utilising a 2mm test-etch. John is a true master of his art. This model is so good you can't really tell what scale it is, let alone that it is 2mm finescale - just as finescale modelling should be.

So there we are. I hope you enjoyed that sample from the Wadebridge show. Next outing for the 'Wadebridge' layout will be the forthcoming Uckfield exhibition on 15th/16th October http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib16nf.html Don't miss it!

My thanks go to John for again kindly inviting me to help operate. And to Jerry Clifford for his encouragement and jolly banter!

A Bubble Car and a Class 22! Proper motive power at last. Not too sure about the historical accuracy of the 'whiskered' Bubble Car and the BFYP Class 22 :no:

Nonetheless, 'Wadebridge' looking as fine as ever :sungum:

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Gold

A Bubble Car and a Class 22! Proper motive power at last. Not too sure about the historical accuracy of the 'whiskered' Bubble Car and the BFYP Class 22 :no:

Nonetheless, 'Wadebridge' looking as fine as ever :sungum:

David

Thanks David. The Bubble car and 22 in those liveries are both dubious but much more believable than the Shay!!

The Bubble will get a SYP at some time but the 22 will stay blue, they fit my not so small late 60s, early 70s collection. I may invest in a green 22 at some point.

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks David. The Bubble car and 22 in those liveries are both dubious but much more believable than the Shay!!

The Bubble will get a SYP at some time but the 22 will stay blue, they fit my not so small late 60s, early 70s collection. I may invest in a green 22 at some point.

Jerry

Be-whiskered 'bubble cars' did use Bodmin/Wadebridge see this web link (it's a photo on ebay - but I've seen it elsewhere too - in my pile of books!) Might be the other type of single car unit - I can never tell which is which!

* can't seem to paste the link. Suggest google Boscarne Junction and look at 'images'​

edit: actually you must search on 'Boscarne Junction Railway Station" or check E-Bay of course.

Edited by RichardS

• RMweb Premium
RichardS, on 21 Sept 2016 - 21:09, said:

Be-whiskered 'bubble cars' did use Bodmin/Wadebridge see this web link (it's a photo on ebay - but I've seen it elsewhere too - in my pile of books!) Might be the other type of single car unit - I can never tell which is which!

* can't seem to paste the link. Suggest google Boscarne Junction and look at 'images'​

edit: actually you must search on 'Boscarne Junction Railway Station" or check E-Bay of course.

I found the photo, Richard. Thanks. Interesting photo. Includes the Bodmin North railbus as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boscarne-Junction-Railway-Station-Photo-Wadebridge-Bodmin-GWR-LSWR-1-/251867254747

It is a Class 122 unit, the Gloucester RC & W version of the single units. The one on Wadebridge is the Pressed Steel or Class 121 variety. Two ways to tell them apart are that the 121 has a four character roof indicator box and the 'bendy out' type exhausts. The Class 122 has a two character headcode box and straight exhausts which used to join over the cab but this connection was later removed. Both green versions of Dapol's 122 are incorrect as they don't have the two character headcode panel but it would have meant having two body mouldings. The blue versions are pretty much ok as the headcode panels were removed/plated over during the 1970s.

David (a DMU gricer!)

Edited by DavidLong