The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

Wadebridge remained open for freight into the early to mid 70s. I've seen a (John Vaughan?) pic of a blue class 25, not sure if this was the last train.

So I suspect the BFY class 22 is probably fine.

You really need some powdered slate Presflos though.

There are some interesting late photos (including the Presflos) on the CRS web site - you need to scroll down a long way though.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/bodmin-to-padstow.html

Regards, Andy

• Like 2

Wadebridge remained open for freight into the early to mid 70s. I've seen a (John Vaughan?) pic of a blue class 25, not sure if this was the last train.

Andy,

Wadebridge station officially closed for all traffic 2nd September 1978. But, to quote Wikipedia, "The last loco-hauled passenger train, a 12-coach special from the midlands hauled by Class 25 number 25 080, ran on 30 September 1978; a DMU shuttle from Bodmin, organised for charity, was the last passenger train of all on 17 December 1978." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadebridge_railway_station

I found the photo, Richard. Thanks. Interesting photo. Includes the Bodmin North railbus as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boscarne-Junction-Railway-Station-Photo-Wadebridge-Bodmin-GWR-LSWR-1-/251867254747

It is a Class 122 unit, the Gloucester RC & W version of the single units. The one on Wadebridge is the Pressed Steel or Class 121 variety. Two ways to tell them apart are that the 121 has a four character roof indicator box and the 'bendy out' type exhausts. The Class 121 has a two character headcode box and straight exhausts which used to join over the cab but this connection was later removed. Both green versions of Dapol's 122 are incorrect as they don't have the two character headcode panel but it would have meant having two body mouldings. The blue versions are pretty much ok as the headcode panels were removed/plated over during the 1970s.

David (a DMU gricer!)

David,

Especialy for you: Here is Wadebridge with DMU Single Units and an AC Railbus galore! The last North Cornwall train is on the right, 1st October 1966 (photo Roger Joanes):

post-14107-0-11500800-1474560950_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

When we were kids our parents used to park in the station car park in the late 60s and early 70s where we often used to have to wait in the car whilst our parents went shopping. We normally ended up fighting. Just wish that I had a camera to get out and take photos of the then closed station. I still remember he foot bridge and track down across the high street.

Nice to see one of Rogers photos. I last met him back in the 80's when he lived in Filleigh station n North Devon.

• RMweb Premium
Phil Copleston, on 22 Sept 2016 - 17:19, said:

Andy,

Wadebridge station officially closed for all traffic 2nd September 1978. But, to quote Wikipedia, "The last loco-hauled passenger train, a 12-coach special from the midlands hauled by Class 25 number 25 080, ran on 30 September 1978; a DMU shuttle from Bodmin, organised for charity, was the last passenger train of all on 17 December 1978." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadebridge_railway_station

David,

Especialy for you: Here is Wadebridge with DMU Single Units and an AC Railbus galore! The last North Cornwall train is on the right, 1st October 1966 (photo Roger Joanes):

attachicon.gifWadebridge - diesels galore. Three trains - last North Cornwall train on the right, 1st October 1966 (enhanced crop).jpg

Swoon :)

David

I found the photo, Richard. Thanks. Interesting photo. Includes the Bodmin North railbus as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boscarne-Junction-Railway-Station-Photo-Wadebridge-Bodmin-GWR-LSWR-1-/251867254747

It is a Class 122 unit, the Gloucester RC & W version of the single units. The one on Wadebridge is the Pressed Steel or Class 121 variety. Two ways to tell them apart are that the 121 has a four character roof indicator box and the 'bendy out' type exhausts. The Class 121 has a two character headcode box and straight exhausts which used to join over the cab but this connection was later removed. Both green versions of Dapol's 122 are incorrect as they don't have the two character headcode panel but it would have meant having two body mouldings. The blue versions are pretty much ok as the headcode panels were removed/plated over during the 1970s.

David (a DMU gricer!)

Thanks David, I guess this is the 2mm version you are referring too?  

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant.

Not sure how I have missed this to date, but brilliant.  Hope it comes to a show near me!

Where are you based Edwardian. We are at Uckfield in a couple of weeks. Our trip up country next year is to the Farnham clubs show in October 2017.

Jerry

It is a Class 122 unit, the Gloucester RC & W version of the single units. The one on Wadebridge is the Pressed Steel or Class 121 variety. Two ways to tell them apart are that the 121 has a four character roof indicator box and the 'bendy out' type exhausts. The Class 121 has a two character headcode box and straight exhausts which used to join over the cab but this connection was later removed. ...............

David (a DMU gricer!)

umm, 121 or 121?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David, I guess this is the 2mm version you are referring too?  

Yes indeed, Richard, these are the Dapol N Gauge models. I have also corrected a typing error that Sam Kennion spotted. If you read back my corrected post it now makes more sense!

David

I'm so looking forward to being the guest operator on this layout at our show (Uckfield exhibition), John and Jerry have both let me have a turn or 2 on their other layouts that have attended, namely "Highbury Colliery", "Tucking Mill" and "Wenfordbridge Goods Depot".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm so looking forward to being the guest operator on this layout at our show (Uckfield exhibition), John and Jerry have both let me have a turn or 2 on their other layouts that have attended, namely "Highbury Colliery", "Tucking Mill" and "Wenfordbridge Goods Depot".

You will be very welcome Kevin, particularly as Phil who is a key part of the usual crew will be absent. The layout is very straightforward to operate despite being fairly complex with huge play value.

Jerry

• Like 1

You will be very welcome Kevin, particularly as Phil who is a key part of the usual crew will be absent. The layout is very straightforward to operate despite being fairly complex with huge play value.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, ol' bean! I would love to have joined you and John to help operate 'Wadebridge' at Uckfield on 15/16th October, but unfortunately I'm busy that weekend. I do love playing with this wonderful layout and enjoying your good company, and I shall miss that. So I'm glad to hear others' have stepped in to help instead! 

With my own exhibition commitment looming at Expo-NG on 29th October http://expong.org with my emerging American Nn3 micro-layout as part of the 2mm Scale Narrow Gauge Group stand https://www.facebook.com/2mmScaleNarrowGaugeGroup I thought it best to spend my spare time tracklaying on the bare baseboard! Need to get things running. Mark Fielder will be there too at Expo-NG with either of his 2mmNG layouts 'The 'Pizza' or 'An Clár'. Maybe see some of you there?

Thereafter I'm available to resume my normal 'Wadebridge' duties, if you'll have me!   :locomotive:   :derisive:

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry

I can confirm this layout is an absolute belter to operate, even if I don't exactly go at the Cornwall slow pace of life :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks for posting these Adrian. I took a few at Uckfield, unfortunately our official recorder and photographer couldn't make it, some excuse about nailing some narrow gauge track down in a circle:-) I will post some when I get a minute although evidently decorating the spare bedroom takes priority this week.

The spam can in the first picture looks fantastic and even though the backscene is still biro on cereal packet it really looks like a station crammed in between the town and the river - which of course is exactly what it is!

Have a look at the same loco and coaches, in roughly the same spot three years ago on page one of this thread. It's really is coming on!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Who knew playing trains could be so serious??!! I'm clearly concentrating hard in the third picture, while Richard and Kevin seem to be enjoying themselves in pic 2. A great set of photos on the club website Adrian, and another extremely enjoyable high quality exhibition. Wadebridge was great to operate, even if I still didn't know north from south, left and right lines, Bodmin and Padstow by the end. It was a privilege to run my stuff on such a magnificent layout.

Nigel

Many thanks for posting these Adrian. I took a few at Uckfield, unfortunately our official recorder and photographer couldn't make it, some excuse about nailing some narrow gauge track down in a circle:-) I will post some when I get a minute although evidently decorating the spare bedroom takes priority this week.

The spam can in the first picture looks fantastic and even though the backscene is still biro on cereal packet it really looks like a station crammed in between the town and the river - which of course is exactly what it is!

Have a look at the same loco and coaches, in roughly the same spot three years ago on page one of this thread. It's really is coming on!

Jerry

John, Jerry,

Looks like you had a great time at Uckfield; Wadebridge looks beautiful and I bet is a joy to operate. Hope to see it sometime soon.

Adrian, excellent photos here and on the Uckfield website - thank you.

Best wishes,

John

• 2 months later...

Here's a 'heads-up' for a rather unique 2mm finescale 'fix' next Saturday 21st January 2017:

For one day only - John Greenwood's superb 2mm finescale layout 'Wadebridge' will be appearing at The John Betjeman Centre (the original Wadebridge station building), Southern Way, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27 7BX. http://www.wadebridge-concern-for-the-aged.co.uk

Not a model railway exhibition, but part of The John Betjeman Centre's event, "Remembering 50 years since the Last Passenger Train from Wadebridge Station" - the last regular passenger train left on 28th January 1967. The Bodmin & Wenford Railway will also be presenting a display, so other railway interest will be there too.

Open 10am - 3pm. Admission will be FREE!

So if you're in the area next Saturday (or travelling from afar) - please call in and see us (John, Jerry and me) and make yourselves known. You will be very welcome!

post-14107-0-53093900-1484410931_thumb.jpg

West Country class No.21C107 (later 34007) 'Wadebridge' at Wadebridge (minus nameplates) on the Down Atlantic Coast Express (ACE). This one-day event will be held in the real station buildings, as seen here on John's 2mm rendition of this station and famous train! 

And for the Wadebridge station gricers... 

post-14107-0-86541400-1484412598_thumb.jpg

This is Wadebridge station looking east from the footbridge on Molesworth Street, September 1968 (Douglas Nicholls, Cornwall Railway Society)

[Edit. to correct No.34007 'Wadebridge' to 21C107, as per David Long's post #215. Oops!]

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Here's a 'heads-up' for a rather unique 2mm finescale 'fix' next Saturday 21st January 2017:

For one day only - John Greenwood's superb 2mm finescale layout 'Wadebridge' will be appearing at The John Betjeman Centre (the original Wadebridge station building), Southern Way, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27 7BX. http://www.wadebridge-concern-for-the-aged.co.uk

Not a model railway exhibition, but part of The John Betjeman Centre's event, "Remembering 50-Years Since Closure of the Wadebridge-Padstow Line" - the last regular passenger train left on 28th January 1967. The Bodmin & Wenford Railway will also be presenting a display, so other railway interest will be there too.

Open 10am - 3pm. Admission will be FREE!

So if you're in the area next Saturday (or travelling from afar) - please call in and see us (John, Jerry and me) and make yourselves known. You will be very welcome!

]

Too good a chance to miss! Hotel booked!
  • Like 1