Guest Isambarduk

I like the red buffer stocks, Chris :-)  Did you use your recommenced Precision Buffer Beam Red to match the existing colour on the buffer planks, or did you respray the planks along with the stocks to achieve the match?  David

I like the red buffer stocks, Chris :-)  Did you use your recommenced Precision Buffer Beam Red to match the existing colour on the buffer planks, or did you respray the planks along with the stocks to achieve the match?  David

David,

I did not respray the buffer beams. I laid an undercoat of the old Airfix brick red on the buffer stocks and mountings followed by two coats of the Precision Paints red I previously recommended. The match wasn't quite perfect so I experimented and finished off with Revell matt Carmine Red 321-36, which seems to have worked well. The jack and rods were mixed with some white paint to give a faded appearance.

Regards,

Chris

Guest Isambarduk

"The match wasn't quite perfect ..."  Oh well :-(

Very useful to know about the "Airfix brick red" undercoat and the "Revell matt Carmine Red 321-36" topcoat; thanks, Chris. 

I can see that a bit of experimentation is going to be needed to match the buffer stocks to the beams on my GWR Fowler, as I cannot be respraying them.

If anybody else has experimented successfully, I am sure that I would not be the only one wishing to hear about it.

David

• RMweb Premium

Paul (EDM) is at a motorway service area and doesn't have full internet access at the moment but he has asked me to pass on the comments below from one of his customers - not much he can add except that he's rushed off his feet at the moment and is on his way to Boston Lodge (Festiniog) to look at a job that needs doing there . . they say there's no rest for the wicked :nono:

I've just received my Fowler 0-4-0DM with SOUND and 'stay alive' from Paul Martin at EDM Models. ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!!!

It runs incredibly smoothly and as slow as you could ever want. O-4-0's are notorious for poor running due to current interruptions - not this one. The 'stay alive' keeps it going regardless, smooth as silk. I removed mine from the track with the sound still playing and it kept going for something like 20 seconds plus.

It looks great, runs great and sounds great. What more could one want. Worth every penny!

Congratulations to Paul Martin and Paul Chetter for the sound and 'stay alive' addition to the Ixion Model, and also Chris Klein and his Ixion colleagues for another cracking model!

• Like 3

Paul (EDM) is at a motorway service area and doesn't have full internet access at the moment but he has asked me to pass on the comments below from one of his customers - not much he can add except that he's rushed off his feet at the moment and is on his way to Boston Lodge (Festiniog) to look at a job that needs doing there . . they say there's no rest for the wicked :nono:

I've just received my Fowler 0-4-0DM with SOUND and 'stay alive' from Paul Martin at EDM Models. ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!!!

It runs incredibly smoothly and as slow as you could ever want. O-4-0's are notorious for poor running due to current interruptions - not this one. The 'stay alive' keeps it going regardless, smooth as silk. I removed mine from the track with the sound still playing and it kept going for something like 20 seconds plus.

It looks great, runs great and sounds great. What more could one want. Worth every penny!

Congratulations to Paul Martin and Paul Chetter for the sound and 'stay alive' addition to the Ixion Model, and also Chris Klein and his Ixion colleagues for another cracking model!

Thanks very much to whoever said those kind words.

My Fowler sound-fitting 'step by step' guide is featured in the current issue of Hornby Magazine, out now. Coupled with Paul Martin's 'third way' described above, you can now see three different approaches to fitting sound to these models, and so soon after launch.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks very much to whoever said those kind words.

My Fowler sound-fitting 'step by step' guide is featured in the current issue of Hornby Magazine, out now. Coupled with Paul Martin's 'third way' described above, you can now see three different approaches to fitting sound to these models, and so soon after launch.

Kind regards,

Paul

I have just read Paul's 4 page article in the January 2014 edition of Hornby Magazine. It is first class, being clear and comprehensive. There is also a a 2 page review of the Fowler by the editor Mike Wild in the in the same edition. BRM has a 3 page review of the Fowler by Howard Smith in its January 2014 edition and there is a one page review in the January 2014 Railway Modeller. It is always a nervous time for a manufacturer between handing over samples for review and seeing the final article in print, but we are delighted with the coverage and comments. 

• Like 2

Nervous!!??  If the mags had given bad reviews, I am sure you could have recruited a gang of 'heavies' from here to sort them out.... :blackeye:  :tomato:  :triniti:

Well Paul, I was an army officer for 15 years finishing as a major before leaving in 1994 to take up a new opportunity so I do know how to look after myself. . 

• Like 2

Here are some photos taken at the Medstead show in the New Forest today of a GWR Fowler in action on Frogpool, an 0 Gauge GWR layout owned by the Andover Model Railway Club. The layour is wired for DCC and DC, but was being operated in DC mode today. The Fowler performed beautifully. Frogpool has long been a favourite layout of mine and was originally built by Tony Collins, a member of the Andover MRC. Now owned by the club, it is has been extended from its original form in which featured in the first volume of small layouts published by the Gauge 0 Guild.

My thanks go to Steve Rogerson, Barry Donaldson, Dieter Holland and Tony Collins of Andover MRC for allowing me to hijack the layout (again); I fear I will have have to pay a track access charge next time. However, they asked me to state that the Andover MRC operates an 0 Gauge test track on the 4th Monday evening of each month and running sessions are open to the general public. Details can be found on the club's website at www.amrc.hampshire.org.uk

post-13142-0-01798800-1387029707_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-32557900-1387029709_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-62544800-1387029711_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-35083700-1387029714_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-57042800-1387029716_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-77989300-1387029718_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

My sound-fitted Fowler arrived this week from Paul Martin at NG Trains/EDM Models and I've now had the chance to run it although I haven't been able to try all the functions yet.

This is a beautiful model and the sound project developed by Paul Chetter is very good. The sound is really convincing and just what you would expect from a small diesel mechanical loco. The start-up sound is well done and the loco revs up and down realistically on the move. For such a small loco, it has a surprisingly loud engine sound (which can be reduced if necessary) and good tone. Included with the locomotive is a very helpful guide that Paul Chetter has provided to explain the Fowler's prototypical operations and how these translate to the model. This is particularly helpful in using the clutch, changing gears and even whether the loco is under load or light engine.

There are 28 function key operations covering all sort of sounds although the loco is still easily drivable with 8 functions if that is all you have - me included until I upgrade my rather old DCC controller.

It is a smooth runner anyway but Paul Martin's 'Keep Alive' installation means that it will trundle along any variation in track and pointwork without hesitation. I don't attempt to understand the technology behind this but it works really well and any concerns I had about running a short wheelbase 0-4-0 were quickly dispelled as it ran flawlessly at a crawl. Be warned though. Don't count on running it into a dead siding and expect it to stop because it won't!

The combined efforts of Ixion and the two Pauls have produced a remarkably good little loco with a great personality. I love it! Usual disclaimers apply - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

A couple of pictures attached. I asked Paul Martin to paint the wheels and rods on mine but I'll weather it myself. I'll post some pics when I've done that.

Stephen

post-1610-0-16408000-1387042802_thumb.jpg

post-1610-0-86980900-1387042837_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Guest Isambarduk

Nice photos, Chris - and your solution for creating the red buffer stocks to match the buffer planks is shewn to good effect here.  David

Be warned though. Don't count on running it into a dead siding and expect it to stop because it won't!

Stephen

Stephen,

Ha ha. I assume you mean 'will not stop unless you ask it to'.

Thanks for the accolades in the rest of your post. I try to provide as 'complete' an experience as possible with my projects. I feel that the 'User Notes' I prepare for each one helps users to quickly understand how the real loco works (if necessary, especially if it's out of the ordinary) and how to use the controller to achieve the best simulation of the prototype in all circumstances.

After all, sound decoders are not cheap, so a bit of added value is always welcome, especially if it comes without additional cost!

I'm pleased you are enjoying your Fowler and thanks again for taking the trouble to tell us here.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

I believe mine has arrived - but can't be sure until Father Christmas does his stuff later in the month..... But I'm very much looking forward to it! A shame I wasn't able to request rods-and-wheels as well, but that won't take long....

Having had a look at the real thing at Reading, it really does look as delightful as we were all hoping for.

Thank you to all concerned!

• Like 1

I have started the weathering of "Kitchener" shown above. It will be a slow process as I have other things to do. I am hoping the "Kitchener" will become something of a celebrity as I take it around shows. It is mounted on a chassis that has the full DCC sound project supplied by Paul Martin at NG Trains EDM Models http://ixionmodels.blogspot.com.au/

The sound is very convincing. The donkey starting motor is particularly pleasing and kept me in suspense as I waited for the main engine to fire up. Gear changing is done manually from the controller and it is worth revising your double-de-clutching technique. The top speed is set low per the real thing. The "stay alive" facility is particularly impressive. We certainly recommend this product. 

• Like 1

I was thinking of leaving out the "stay alive" feature but the good work it will do while running probably overrides my concerns.  Should it be wanted can it be switched out?

Still a fabulous looking model setting the standard on many fronts for the future of the RTR market.

Great works all round gents.

Regards

I was thinking of leaving out the "stay alive" feature but the good work it will do while running probably overrides my concerns.  Should it be wanted can it be switched out?

Still a fabulous looking model setting the standard on many fronts for the future of the RTR market.

Great works all round gents.

Regards

Not unless a physical switch is fitted, or maybe a relay operated by one of the Function Outputs (Auxs in Lokspeak). Fortunately, with a ZIMO decoder there are 10 of these on the standard MX645 so plenty to chose from!

The main problem there is that all 28 F keys already have either a function or a sound assigned to them. That's one of the drawbacks of a fully populated sound project.

Interesting question though, worthy of some more thoughts.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thinking a bit more on this........

The ZIMO decoder is designed to have "keep alive" and does work better if it has some and a little capacitor is provided. What we have done is replace little with a lot.  That really changes what you want from on/off for the Keep Alive to switching between little and large.

Having had a quick look at components I can see how I could fit a changeover switch but, annoyingly, not the standard capacitor without a lot of troublesome wiring to locate it in the body as the chassis is full.

If it really is a concern to you I could just fit the standard keep alive or possibly doubling it up instead of the unit I do fit. 

• RMweb Premium

Met up with Paul last night with the rest of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn Trent Valley Area Group - It's very big 'area' as Paul came down to Derby from York just for a couple of hours in the pub.

Main topic of conversation was the new baseboard design which he has had laser cut in 4mm ply from his own CAD design but then he set up a yard of Peco track and demonstrated the sound on the Fowler - amazing to hear the starter motor trying to turn over and eventually it gets the main engine to fire. Loco set off down the track, off the end and carried on along the table for about another 3 ft or so until the 'stay alive' expired - we now appreciate why you need careful control of the DCC to prevent accidents - of course once it was travelling across the table it was uncontrollable !!

Mike

Would've been more impressive if Paul had driven it back up the table too.... ;-)

It was definitely easier on my wallet that Paul chose to bring a GWR one rather than a plain green one with him as it's a fantastic model of a strangely attractive loco.

Cheers,

Andrew

Would've been more impressive if Paul had driven it back up the table too.... ;-)

It was definitely easier on my wallet that Paul chose to bring a GWR one rather than a plain green one with him as it's a fantastic model of a strangely attractive loco.

Cheers,

Andrew

Resistance is futile. 

Resistance is futile.

Don't worry, I fully intend having one. Just not the gasworks one!

Seeing as we've just spent two months having our house knocked around by builders, it will probably go down better with management if I wait until we get the bill from the builders.... And I'll be seeing Paul again in a month's time :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

Popped into Antic's warehouse shop last night (conveniently located all of 5 minutes walk from my work...) to grab a (00) Christmas prezzie, they had a plain green one in their display cabinet. I have to say that, good as it looks in the photos, it's even better in the plastic. Lovely looking thing- with the exception of the rods looking a little bling perhaps (about the easiest thing possible to sort!) it looks spot on.

No, I'm not tempted. Honest...

• Like 1