BRM - December 2013

SteveCole

Picked up a copy in Tescos earlier today. There is certainly a lot of very nice pictures but it does seem like that there is less actual reading matter than the old BRM (which for me was renowned for a good quality lengthy read).

G.

Here we go again......Tescos have it available before my subs copy arrives.......sorry to moan, but it does infuriate!

Edited by pete55

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived Wednesday (Subs).....bit slow I think? However, I have enjoyed ploughing through the new format even if it is a bit haphazard and 'jazzy'. I actually quite like it; perhaps it is because as one gets older one reverts in many ways to childhood and the comic style entertains?

I shall have to go and get some other MR mags and do some serious comparison reading :mail: . Might I then change my choice of mag?

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Had a quick glance at the mag this morning. Good article on the caravan cameo, would have been nice to mention the prototype inspiration was a scratch-built 'van. Would have been nicer to have mentioned I built it and Chris T set in the scene on DitD.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought my copy in WHS this morning (it was on the shelves yesterday so I was told so better than timely delivery) and it's in a plastic bag!!!!  :O   This worries me not one jot as if I want a mag I buy it however it has been extremely clever down with a facsimile of the contents page on an enclosed card with a header which stands above the top of the mag stating, among other things, 'Turn over to find out' (what's inside).  So I get a nice clean mag which hasn't done the rounds of a few tight fisted folk but they can still easily find out what the contents are from the card insert.  If you are going to have to put the mag in a bag that is definitely an original and truly clever way of doing it - until you are posting sub copies in a standard size envelope?

Haven't got a clue  about the nature of what's inside as I haven't even opened the bag yet - RMweb takes priority this morning. 

Here we go again......Tescos have it available before my subs copy arrives.......sorry to moan, but it does infuriate!

Hang on, isn't the only point of taking up a subscription that you actually are guaranteed to get a copy (assuming the postman doesn't read it first)? Whereas those of us who buy on impulse at Tescos or Smiffs have to rely on the buying decisions and distribution of those companies not to mention the hoards of regular buyers who queue out overnight to be first in line when the doors open (Editor's wish).

• Like 2

• Moderators

There is some good stuff in this issue.  Not that I wish to be seen as crawling but Andy's pics really bring out the best of DitD and there is plenty of best to bring out.  It's good to see Tony Wright back on form as he describes his encounters with the C12 and P2.  Other interesting features are, of course, available.

On the downside, I wasn't too keen on being referred to a website to see how Howard Smith decorated his Smallbrook brake van, particularly as it was not this one.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Our choice to host online the painting of the Smallbrook van was purely due to the extra number of pages that this would have incurred in the issue. Not everybody necessarily needs or wants to know how the van was painted, but, for those that do, we uploaded it to our website so that they are in no way neglected. We could quite easily have kept it as purely a build article, making no mention of any painting of the vehicle whatsoever. This should really be seen as an 'extra' rather than an omission.

Doing this allows us to have extra space for other articles, thus broadening the spectrum of subjects that we cover in any particular issue and are able to offer to our readership.

Regards,

Howard Smith   

• RMweb Gold

.............. Good article on the caravan cameo, would have been nice to mention the prototype inspiration was a scratch-built 'van. Would have been nicer to have mentioned I built it and Chris T set in the scene on DitD.

................ I cant believe that MR Happy Camper  has been ripped off ......

Welcome to the world of commercial publishing.

• RMweb Gold

Well I've opened it - and the content is pretty good although whilst I'm regarded by some as being in my dotage, or getting there shortly, I do object to be told to 'turn over the page'.  And Phil P's constructional guide looks interesting too.

Overall verdict - definitely an improvement on the first 'new' issue although the cover is still a style disaster with all those 'stickers' like a load of coloured pictorial post-it notes splattered around but my views on that are probably a dotage thing as well.  The balance of the contents is - I think - very good and it's not overdone with layouts which s refreshing the way things are going in some other publications.

Oh and I really do like that big 'block' BRM symbol on the cover - as I always have done but it is a great idea and works well even with the 'stickers' trying to detract from it.

Still in two minds about BRM vs MR vs MRJOrdered MRJ 225 for delivery. And I'm in the UK beginning of next month, so if I can get to a WHS I may be able to pick up the other two for a comparison.

Hi Truffy,

Would highly recommend MRJ. I never miss an issue. There is a wealth of modelling knowledge in every issue. Other magazines I buy if the content relates to my areas of interest.

I would recommend picking up BRM when Roy Jackson's Retford or Tony Wright's kit/chassis building articles feature. I also pick up Hornby Magazine just for Tim Shackleton's weathering articles when featured.

• RMweb Gold

Now part way through reading it and a very good issue. One thing I would like to ask is are we meant to be able to read the print on the "Layouts in unusual spaces" item or am I missing a free magnifier with this issue?

Andy, any chance of an article on photographing layouts as your shots are stunning.

Now part way through reading it and a very good issue. One thing I would like to ask is are we meant to be able to read the print on the "Layouts in unusual spaces" item or am I missing a free magnifier with this issue?

Andy, any chance of an article on photographing layouts as your shots are stunning.

Hi Mike, I think you're referring to P41. If so, those images are just 'screenshots' of one of the following and a previous layout article.

Very different animals IMHO.  I have MRJ on subscription, but browse my local shops for any others. BRM, MR, even RM, have upped their game over the past year or so, but I still tend to buy only those which have articles of interest to me in them.   If you want lots of ads and reviews then I guess any one of three are better for you.   I like MRJ for its modelling inspiration, even if it appears a little old fashioned.

Hang on, isn't the only point of taking up a subscription that you actually are guaranteed to get a copy (assuming the postman doesn't read it first)? Whereas those of us who buy on impulse at Tescos or Smiffs have to rely on the buying decisions and distribution of those companies not to mention the hoards of regular buyers who queue out overnight to be first in line when the doors open (Editor's wish).

Hi Truffy,

Would highly recommend MRJ. I never miss an issue. There is a wealth of modelling knowledge in every issue. Other magazines I buy if the content relates to my areas of interest.

I would recommend picking up BRM when Roy Jackson's Retford or Tony Wright's kit/chassis building articles feature. I also pick up Hornby Magazine just for Tim Shackleton's weathering articles when featured.

The limitation of living outside the UK is that buying off-the-shelf is not realistic, and buying single issues online can get expensive (even then you can only get a dim feeling for what's in the issue). So even though it's more expensive to subscribe here than in the UK, it could work out cheaper in the long run.

That all said, it might be worth a punt on this month's BRM simply for the supplement. Can't say diesels do anything for me, whether they're in a duchy or not.

• Administrators

Had a quick glance at the mag this morning. Good article on the caravan cameo, would have been nice to mention the prototype inspiration was a scratch-built 'van. Would have been nicer to have mentioned I built it and Chris T set in the scene on DitD.

its on the doormat and ther it may stay cos I cant believe that MR Happy Camper  has been ripped off ......

wont look as good though 

The idea with both the caravan and the diesel fuelling point articles was to try and use inspiration from layouts in the magazine for modelling projects. We're not ripping anyone off, and we've made it clear where the inspiration came from in the first place.

To quote the caravan article:

Usually our 'inspiration' comes from a real life location, but this month it comes from the stunning Diesels in the Duchy layout that you've seen featured on pages 14-26 of this very issue. In the front corner of the layout you'll see a small static caravan scene, which is what we've attempted to recreate here. Judge for yourself whether we've achieved this by looking at the picture of the same scene on the DitD layout!

The intention in this case was to provide a simple way of recreating a scene using off-the-shelf parts. Telling people to scratch build a caravan means providing them with a plan and more than the 4 pages of instruction available. There's nothing to stop anyone deciding to do this of course, it's just not the level of modeller the piece was aimed at. You might not consider it looks as good - that's fine, what I did certainly can't replicate the excellent burnt out van shown in the main articles photographs. What it does is give people an idea which they might chose to use, ignore or develop. If you don't think it's as good, you've got a good argument that high-quality scratch building trumps ready-to-plonk modelling if you needed one.

The thing is, there will be modelling articles in the mag. They don't have to be related to a subject elsewhere in the issue, it just seems sensible. We've even dicussed giving issue a theme with several related pieces in each instead of the more common collection of unrelated subjects. There's one in the next issue and we've planned a few more but if it's problem, the subjects can be switched for less contentious ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil,
Thanks for your reply. I think the idea of recreating scenes from elsewhere in the same issue is a really good one. Even if the original one is a kit or scratchbuilt, using a r-t-p similar item, with a touch of personalisation, gives a less experienced modeller the chance to replicate the same a lot easier.

I don't feel I've been ripped off, far from it, I'm really pleased to think any of my modelling is worth including in a magazine, let alone the subject of a replication article - I was just a little bit miffed my name wasn't mentioned in either article.
Stu

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• Administrators

I don't feel I've been ripped off, far from it, I'm really pleased to think any of my modelling is worth including in a magazine, let alone the subject of a replication article - I was just a little bit miffed my name wasn't mentioned in either article.

Stu

Stu - Sorry about that. I don't see the main articles before publication and I'd assumed all the builders get a mention and even mugshots in there. My bit is very much a supporting act to the main star, the layout itself. Watson to the DitD Holmes or Little to Large for 1970s readers...

Must be 20-25 year since I last bought a model rail mag and will only be buying this copy for the Ditd  feature. I couldn't  find a copy in any shop within 2 miles so tomorrow Leeds city centre here I come, unless tomorrows predicted weather forecast turns in to an arctic blizzard.  Who trust`s what the weathermen say he he.

But I do agree if a publication paper or electronic means is covering a subject with other peoples work as inspiration, then it`s only courtesy and politeness to  state the person or group behind the subject matter in hand whether it be a basic or advanced level item.

I think a definite round of applause for the team- an excellent edition of the "new look" BRM, that subscription looms closer. Sorry to say, I have just cancelled a sub to a competitor, which IMHO has become rather "tired", just leaves RM and soon "BRM".

The Ditd feature cover was brilliant reading with Andy Y`s pictures again highlighting all the detail crafted into this layout, and found the whole issue a real good read and I also like the separate how to for building detailing of all types etc.