RMweb commission Hunslet 'Austerity' through DJModels

Andy Y

Great to see all the initial reservations coming in after the initial announcement, currently around 15% of the available models have been reserved.

I'd like to re-affirm the point that it is a substantially different tooling for any previously available RTR J94/Austerity with the Kylpor chimey and attention to the lesser visual details, it's great to be able to cater for such variations and yes I believe there is a market for such in addition to kits/parts for the more gifted modellers. ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I have to wait for a non-underfeed stoker version, I just can't abide that chimney!  I live in hope of an NCB Backworth version...and as several of those are preserved....oh yes.....plenty of versions there!  So I have pre-ordered a DJM BR version to be de-BR'd instead!

edit: I should have added my best wishes to RMWeb/DJM with this venture, any chance of a chimney that is removable/plain one in the box????

Edited by New Haven Neil

My apologies, I'm surprised no-one had spotted it, but I'd originally put the wrong works number (3851) in the ad; it should, of course, be 3889 - too many pieces of paper on the desk at the same time.

Cheers,

A

Great news. Not my era or region but it is good to see RM Web producing something slightly different. Hopefully this will be the starting point for some more left field ideas.

Best of luck Andy and Dave

Nik

P.S Is it time to start an RM Web commissions wishlist. ;-)

• RMweb Gold

My apologies, I'm surprised no-one had spotted it, but I'd originally put the wrong works number (3851) in the ad; it should, of course, be 3889 - too many pieces of paper on the desk at the same time.

Cheers,

A

well thats a good start, all that guff about attention to detail and you cant get the ad right, how dare you! next up you will be telling us the roof profile is all wrong, the actual model only has 4 wheels to suit radius 1 curves, there will be a non prototypical gap between the running plate and chassis to allow the wheels to turn, and you have done market research and the most popular livery requested is nankang blue with full yellow ends.......

.......and its clockwork!

on reading of your mistake i put my foot through the screen and sent rmweb the bill!

its just corruption at the highest level in andy y's little empire!

on a serious note though it does go to show how far both the forum and hobby has come in the last 3 or so years, if you remember there there have been suggestions of RMWeb limited editions in the past, from wagons to locos even buildings that were simply not viable back then the downside being limited runs of 500 models, expendature, differing views on what to produce, marketing etc

move on to today and the changing face of the model business/technology etc means small runs can be produced at a realistic price for what is in effect a 'niche' on line market, i hope that the gamble will prove sucessful, its not just the RMWeb ltd edition which shows how far the forum has progressed, take the 2012 scratchbuild challenge for example, off the back of that we have a 3D printed/lazer cut/etched tamper kit being released to the market, even little things like PH Designs class 172 window etches that he produced for me that are available purely from the seeds of an idea i had in one of my threads

long may it continue

Edited by big jim

Have put my name down for one, despite having an unbuilt kit and several other variations from Dapol & Hornby. To my mind the biggest mistake on the Dapol/Hornby version is incorrect pattern wheels as the cast ones are quite distinctive.

• RMweb Gold

Before I sign up, is there any chance of the same body style (specifically chimney/smokebx detail), appearing in any other guises later, or will it be unique to this limited edition? The reason I ask is that I want to find the best starting point for a model of 3883, the Hunslet austerity which was used for dynamometer trials around Oxford in 1963.

Thanks

Dave

I hope it's a big success, both as a venture for BRM/RMweb and DJModels and further confirmation that commissions are an effective way to produce quality, highly detailed, railway models.

May it be followed by many more!

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Before I sign up, is there any chance of the same body style (specifically chimney/smokebx detail), appearing in any other guises later, or will it be unique to this limited edition? The reason I ask is that I want to find the best starting point for a model of 3883, the Hunslet austerity which was used for dynamometer trials around Oxford in 1963.

Thanks

Dave

I'll be honest and say it could lead to others either as commissions or within the main range but it's unlikely the tooling would differ too much from this edition. A quick look at 3883 shows it to be the same (at least on one side at that time!) so it's probably just a repaint job.

I'm afraid I have to wait for a non-underfeed stoker version, I just can't abide that chimney!  I live in hope of an NCB Backworth version...and as several of those are preserved....oh yes.....plenty of versions there!  So I have pre-ordered a DJM BR version to be de-BR'd instead!

edit: I should have added my best wishes to RMWeb/DJM with this venture, any chance of a chimney that is removable/plain one in the box????

I don't know your tastes as well as I thought I did Mister Neil- I reckoned you'd be a dead cert for this one! Fussy old git :P

3883 was identical to 3889 with the possible exception of the ladder to the water tank. Photo of 3883 with the Hawksworth Dynamometer car and a description of the modifications to standard austerities can be found here http://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/austerity/portaausterity.htm

A brave and interesting choice. Should get a few people modelling colliery systems - or at least exchange sidings with the main line. Dare I say 'modern image steam'? A lot newer than many diesels, anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info. I think I'll order this, but use it as is for a while, in case 3883 materialises. I've plenty of things to do before I need to convert it, like build a layout.

This is what I want to model (eventually)...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6902-0-21253800-1382304348.jpg

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks for that info. I think I'll order this, but use it as is for a while, in case 3883 materialises. I've plenty of things to do before I need to convert it, like build a layout.

This is what I want to model (eventually)...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6902-0-21253800-1382304348.jpg

Thanks again

Dave

I'd only seen the other side so the only difference as Nigel says is the ladder on the tank plus a maker's plate for the bunker. What colour was 3883?

With their rather special-spoked wheels, there will be no chance of P4-ing this. Might it be possible for the 00 wheel to be designed in such a way that its tyre can be knocked off without too much problem and a replacement P4-profile tyre substituted?

And needless to say, no 2.14mm axles please...

(Am just trying to think ahead for the likes of Brassmasters (no connection) who might fancy doing an easi-chass conversion.)

• RMweb Premium

I don't know your tastes as well as I thought I did Mister Neil- I reckoned you'd be a dead cert for this one! Fussy old git :P

Who are you calling old, young whippersnapper! :blackeye:

Funnily enough, I saw the livery 'and thought of you'.  I'm afraid the underfeed stoker chimney is a curve too much for me, as it curves the wrong way.  Austerities are supposed to be blue, Laura should agree, IIRC her preferred choice in hair colour...... :spruceup:

(to innocent bystanders - Matt and myself are great 'e-pals', it's not a trolling spat!).

• RMweb Premium

Great innit? ;)

I used to think so highly of you! :tomato:

I recall seeing one for the first time at Keighley, on 'Fred' when it was there (may still be?) in blue (aaahhhh!) KWVR livery.  I was shocked at it's appearance, nay, stunned.  I just can;t get used to them, and as Matt will testify I'm an industrial-oholic.

Anyway, it's great to see the model being released, especially as it will have the all-important correct dished wheels, which as mentioned by someone above are so distinctive.  I wish you both well on this project, I'll stick to repainting a BR one blue as Backworth 9.