Ah well, looks like I have to start all over. :(

I have deliberately left the topic title open for anyone to post their sound videos here. It may get a little long-winded but it seems to me that rather than having everyone posting the videos in their own separate threads it would be a sort of repository where anyone looking to buy the Howes / SWD / Olivias / etc. or Bachmann / Hornby factory-fitted sound decoders can look and listen to help make up their minds before parting with their hard-earned dollar-pounds. (Of course, there may also be US and European sounds here as well but I am not qualified or experienced enough to comment on those myself.

OK, so to start off, here, at long last, is the vid of my Hornby class 73 with Howes' beta version of the diesel sounds. Bryan of Howes has not yet released this for general consumption as he wants feedback before finalising it.

I have put two versions here one of 5.8MB and one of 18.5MB - both are the same movie just that one is higher quality but may tax some people's download bandwidth.

Other modifications include fitting a bass-reflex speaker and reversing one of the driving axles so that the unobstructed electrical pickups are on three wheels on each side while there is now only one traction tyre per side, as opposed to having two on one side and none on the other as it comes from Hornby's factory.

Video was courtesy of Neil S Wood and his skills, camera and tripod - thanks again, Neil. (thumbs up smiley goes here when available) All editing and effects were done by me using Pinnacle Studio 12.

The smaller one:

th_HowesClass73beta-movie_medium_4-3.jpg

The larger one:

th_HowesClass73beta-movie_full_4-3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

right here we go:

all this lot are HOWES sounds running on 250bob's layout in uttoxeter

class 50

th_class50.jpg

class 60

th_class60.jpg

britannia, super d and standard 5 passing each other

th_3kettles.jpg

class 25

th_class25.jpg

class 20's wth dual start up

th_class20s.jpg

class 31

th_class31.jpg

class 33

th_class33.jpg

unrefurbished class 37

th_class37.jpg

class 121

th_class121.jpg

class 40

th_class40.jpg

warship

th_warship.jpg

class 30 (mirlees engined 31)

th_class30vid1.jpg

britannia

th_britannia.jpg

super D

th_superd.jpg

class 58

th_class58.jpg

class 56

th_class56.jpg

class 47

th_class47-1.jpg

class 86

th_class86.jpg

standard 5

th_standard5.jpg

western

th_02062009038.jpg

class 66

th_02062009039.jpg

class 08

th_02062009040.jpg

class 153

th_02062009042.jpg

royal scot

th_24062009063.jpg

class 57

th_24062009067.jpg

class 92

th_24062009068.jpg

britannia and royal scot double header

th_24062009066.jpg

standard 5 being banked by the class 25

th_10062009044.jpg

britannia being banked by the super D

th_10062009045.jpg

there are another load of videos on you tube too, taken on my layout, see the link in my signature below

• Like 2

Here are some more videos taken by Neil S Wood last Sunday. Again I have put a larger, clearer file (around the 15 to 20 MB mark) and a smaller version (approximately 5 to 8 MB in size) to cater for those with lower Internet bandwidth.

Larger files first:

The Heljan Western, D1007 Western Talisman, now reblown with Howes' sounds. This still has the same speaker set up as before, ie a larger rectangular one at one end and a standard ESU 23mm round one at the other, both pointing down through the bogie openings. The Western has modified cab roof profiles and etched plates fitted.

th_HowesClass52Western-movie_full_4-3.jpg

Two Bachmann class 20 locomotives semi-permanently coupled, with Howes sounds and a twin start programmed in. The green one has had the motor removed and a jumper cable feeds power to a second speaker in that locomotive. At this stage the speakers are the standard Bachmann rectangular one in the blue loco (D8056) and a standard 23mm round one in the second loco, which I intend changing to a bass-enhanced speaker later. The blue loco has the original Bachmann sound issue chassis and bonnet but the cab from another locomotive which has the earlier stye side windows (The sound-fitted one came with the larger Scottish windows). I have yet to weather the body to match the cab.

th_HowesTwinClass20-movie_full_4-3.jpg

The standard issue Hornby class 31, 31 233. I have done absolutely nothing to this locomotive ... yet! If I can find a way, I will disable the fan roar that starts up as soon as one drives the engine in eithger direction. I suspect Hornby did this deliberately to match the fact that the roof fan does start to turn as soon as the engine moves.

th_HornbyClass31-movie_full_4-3.jpg

The smaller files:

th_HowesClass52Western-movie_medium_4-.jpg

th_HowesTwinClass20-movie_medium_4-3.jpg

th_HornbyClass31-movie_medium_4-3.jpg

Hello 43179,

It may be me, or it may be the time of day, or it may be gremlins, but your two links to Photobucket come back with Photobucket browser exception window that says "The action your were trying to perform has failed", and no pictures. At the same time I can see the Photobucket sequences posted by SRman before you.

Do they work for other people?

Cheers

(Apologies for the plain message: I am one of the 15% of ids that did not survive the crossing from the old web, so now I am floating around in electronic limbo, like someone in Dr.Who)

Hello 43179,

It may be me, or it may be the time of day, or it may be gremlins, but your two links to Photobucket come back with Photobucket browser exception window that says "The action your were trying to perform has failed", and no pictures. At the same time I can see the Photobucket sequences posted by SRman before you.

Do they work for other people?

Cheers

(Apologies for the plain message: I am one of the 15% of ids that did not survive the crossing from the old web, so now I am floating around in electronic limbo, like someone in Dr.Who)

no , sorry my fault there - would help if i pasted the correct link rolleyes.gif they should work now.

tfn

'179

• RMweb Gold

ive just uploaded 9 videos to youtube taken last night on bobs layout again, this time we blacktacked my nokia to a well wagon and added a stanley knife to counter balance it before sending the it off behind a loco in front of the sound chipped loco!

Some good results and a chance to see and hear the locos in some close up action

A link to my youtube site is in my signature below

Reposting my earlier links from the old RMweb ... second attempt after accidentally closing the tab I was working in. icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif

I have edited some text but much of it remains as before, so apologies if you think you have seen and heard it all before, you probably have!! icon_rolleyes.gif

WARNING: some of these clips are quite large (20MB to30MB) so may not suit dial-up speeds.

This one is of my Heljan class 33/2 fitted with the Howes sound decoder and two speakers, one in the body of the locomotive (opposite end to the radiator) and the other in the fuel tank. Volume level is set at 30 (out of a possible 64). The layout is my own High Cross and Middlehurst, with only High Cross showing in the videos. There is much still unfinished so please ignore all the rough spots. Also, please ignore the laughter audible in the background in a few places - we had a rather giggly (but very nice) friend drop in unexpectedly at the same time!

th_HowesClass33-movie_medium.jpg

Continuing on, in no particular order:

The Bachmann Standard Class 5MT with BR1B tender, fitted with the Howes sound decoder with SR N15 whistle. The decoder and standard speaker are in the tender. The speaker points down through holes drilled in the tender floor. The wires from locomotive to tender will be tidied up now I'm happy with the set up, although not before I pull the tender apart to fit extra pickups.

th_HowesStandard5-movie_medium.jpg

A Heljan Hymek fitted with Howes sound decoder, still with only one speaker under the roof fan grille but pointing downwards (Heljan's grille is solid!). A second speaker has subsequently been fitted in the fuel tank.

th_HowesClass35-movie_medium.jpg

Heljan class 58 (parts 1 & 2) with Howes sound decoder and two speakers, one under the roof fan grilles pointing upwards, and one in the fuel tanks

th_HowesClass58-movie1_converted.jpg

[

th_HowesClass58-movie2_converted.jpg

A Hornby class 50 with Howes decoder and two speakers, both pointing downwards but mounted above the chassis block.

th_HowesClass50-movie_medium.jpg

Same caveat as before: some of these files are a bit on the large side so may cause you problems on dial-up.

Here are the latest videos of my sound-fitted locomotives, taken by Neil S Wood and edited by me.

Two sound-equipped Bachmann class 37 locomotives, 37 693 and 37 698, double heading. These have been consisted under DCC control but if you observe closely you will see that 37 693 has fallen out of sync, even though I carefully matched them initially. This shows up particularly on stopping where 693 seems to have lost its momentum setting. I have subsequently fixed this but didn't have time when Neil Wood took the video. We may yet redo this one in the future.

37 693 (leading) is as it left the factory, with no modifications to the sound or speaker - it is set at near maximum volume. 37 698 is modified as shown elsewhere in an earlier post, with the Bachmann speaker "boxed" in and an additional 20mm speaker and chamber mounted in one of the noses. Volume is set around 40 (out of 64) - the sound quality is better with more bass showing up the exhaust bark better.

th_Bachmannclass37doubleheaded-movie.jpg

Next is the Bachmann 37 reblown with Howes unrefurbished class 37 sounds. This locomotive is the result of swapping chassis and bodies between 37 057 "Viking" and 37 035 in Dutch livery. This also involved swapping bogie frames and buffers. The now non-sound-fitted Viking may be seen in the foreground in some parts of this video. Note the difference in behaviour of 37 035 between the first circuit and the second: opening the throttle gently means it doesn't "thrash" too much, where the second time round I opened the throttle wide from the standing start and it "thrashes" noticeably more. The sounds make an interesting contrast with the Bachmann (South West Digital-based) sounds. Note also the much better volume from the Bachmann original speaker setup, albeit "boxed" in as per above, suggesting that the volume is as much dependent on the original sound project as on the speaker fitting.

th_BachmannClass37HowesReblown-movie.jpg

Next is the Hornby Brush Type 2, class 30, with Mirrlees engine sounds from Howes. This one has a large rectangular speaker mounted beneath the radiator fan grille but pointing downwards (the working fan was removed). Bryan, the Howes' sound engineer, took some existing Mirrlees sounds and matched them to some archive footage of original Mirrlees equiped Brush Type 2s, retaining things like horn, buffing and compressor sounds as these would not have changed when the locomotives were re-engined by English Electric to become the later class 31.

th_HowesClass30-movie.jpg

The Heljan class 47 was fitted with Howes sound when the earlier videos were done but we ran out of time to take this one. It now has two speakers, both 23mm standard ESU ones, one under the roof at the non-radiator end (the fan grille is solid anyway!), pointing downwards, and one in the fuel tanks.

th_HowesClass47-movie_medium.jpg

The Bachmann class 66 as it left the factory has the rather annoying "yinging" noise. This one, 66 522 in Freightliner/Shanks livery, has the standard Bachmann speaker setup but the decoder has been reblown by Howes with their own class 66 sounds. The Howes sounds include rather a nice turbocharger whistle but I'm not sure it can be heard well in the video. The "yinging" is still present but rather more muted.

th_BachmannClass66HowesReblown-movie_m.jpg

The Bachmann class 24 sounds reasonably good as it comes but seems to lack a little depth. I "boxed" in the original Bachmann speaker as per the class 37s shown earlier, and also added a 20mm speaker with severely cut down chamber, which just squeezed in under the roof at the other end.

th_BachmannClass24-movie.jpg

Finally, one that was shown in the earlier clips but I have now fitted a bass-reflex speaker under the roof fan grilles, pointing upwards, together with the second standard speaker in the fuel tanks. In this case I think the bass reflex speaker has added noticeable depth to the sound. I also added a bass reflex speaker to the class 50 featured earlier but I think the difference from before is barely noticeable.

th_HowesClass58BassReflexSpkr-movie_me.jpg

I hope you enjoy these clips. I have tweaked them to get better sound quality at the expense of video quality, since the sound is really what these are about.

EDIT 19-04-2009: I have done a few more videos of my various sound locomotives. Again a warning as the files are quite large (in the 20 to 30 MB range).

First up, a Bachmann Class 37 reblown with Howes' refurbished class 37 sounds. Not demonstrated here, function 13 gives the sound of seagulls!

th_BachmannClass37refurbHowesReblown-m.jpg

Next, The Bachmann class 24, reblown with Howes' class 24 sounds and also having undergone a body swap since the previous video. The green body required a minor modification inside, with the removal of a spigot, plus the cab interiors of the blue one as the lights and their contacts are a part of the interior mouldings.

th_HowesClass24-movie_16-9.jpg

And finally for this session, a Hornby class 60, with the unsullied Hornby sound set (just with the volume turned down a bit!). I have, however, swapped bodies, substituting my weathered Mainline liveried 60 078 body (and cab interiors) for the original EWS liveried one.

th_HornbyClass60-movie_16-9.jpg

I took these last three videos myself, so forgive any shaky camera work as I was also operating the trains at the same time!

OK. Officially NOT HAPPY!!!!! I have been editing andd posting for a while and the browser has crashed on me twice and photobucket has crashed independently as well. I'll try again later to finish the back-dated entries.

Here are some later video clips of sound-fitted locomotives. Neil Wood kindly operated the camera again, although we used my camera and tripod; the tripod was a bit sticky in the rotational plane and caused the jolts and clicks and thumps evident in these vids, so sorry about that (definitely not Neil's fault!). Nevertheless, I'm reasonably happy that the sounds are represented quite well.

First up is a standard factory sound-fitted Bachmann class 20, no 20 034, with 21-pin decoder. Frankly, I don't like the sounds at all on this but I wanted it recorded for posterity. this one is now on its way to Howes to get Bryan's double class 20 sounds.

th_BachmannClass20-movie.jpg

Next, a Bachmann class 20 bought off eBay already fitted with Howes' sounds (with an 8-pin decoder). This uses a standard ESU 23mm round speaker in the cab. Initially the sound volume was poor but I turned the speaker round and sealed up the sound chamber and that improved things dramatically. This one is also now on its way to be reblown (I don't need two sound-fitted class 20s!) with something new and rather special - I'll reveal more soon.

th_HowesClass20-movie.jpg

And for something different again, the Howes-fitted Hornby West Country ("unrebuilt" or original), no. 34041 "Wilton. This was a hard-wire job but the decoder and speaker fitted neatly in the locomotive after swapping to a 20mm round speaker - this fitted right behind the smokebox door. There was still enough room to retain an extra 75 grams of lead I fitted some time back.

th_HowesWestCountryClass-movie.jpg

At the same time I acquired a Howes Class 108 DMU sound decoder to fit into my Network SouthEast Bachmann model. The speaker is only tacked to the seat backs currently but I will be experimenting with better speakers and mounting methods soon.

th_HowesClass108-movie.jpg

Finally for this occasion, a South West Digital Class 52 Western sound decoder fitted into my Heljan 1007 "Western Talisman". While the sounds are good I don't think much of the driveability of the locomotive as SWD make you drive to match the sounds whereas Howes let the sounds match your driving to a greater degree. Needless to say, this one is on its way to Howes to get Bryan's new Western sounds blown onto it. There are two speakers in the Western: a standard round 23mm one and a larger rectanglar bass reflex one from DCC Supplies, both pointing down over the bogies.

th_SWDClass52.jpg

I have done some further videoing, using a different tripod, so some of these are retakes of previous vids that had odd creaks and clunks from the tripod superimposed on the sounds. Except where stated otherwise, I was driving and videoing at the same time, so there are still imperfections!! icon_lol.gif

For starters, here is a Bachmann class 37, 37 057 "Viking", which was originally fitted with sound but I swapped bodies with the Dutch liveried 37 035 (subsequently reblown with Howes' unrefurbished sounds and shown earlier). 37 057 has now been refitted with a standard Bachmann sound decoder and speaker, although the speaker is simply mounted in a chamber formed from Blu-Tac.

th_Bachmannclass37-movie_medium.jpg

The next two are both of a standard non-sound Bachmann class 47, D1764, retro-fitted with a standard Bachmann sound decoder and speaker - the standard pcb allows for a straight forward installation as it has provision for the speaker connections. Just for something different, i have included the short sequence on the Middlehurst branch - Mrs SRman was driving for this vid.

th_BachmannClass47-movie_medium.jpg

th_BachmannClass47onMiddlehurstBranch-.jpg

I decided to redo the Hornby class 50 with Howes' sound video with the newer wide-screen format. Speakers are a large rectangular (oval??) one and a standard 23mm round one, both facing downwards through the bogies. I tried a bass reflex speaker in this one and decided there was precious little difference to the sound, so took it out again for re-use elsewhere.

th_HowesClass50take2-movie.jpg

The Hornby sound class 60 with Mainline liveried body fitted (as shown before) and now a large bass reflex speaker from DCC Supplies fitted. I have done further weathering since the previous video of this locomotive was taken. Mrs SRman was driving - this was her first attempt so there was a bit of a learning curve involved.

th_HornbyClass60BassReflex-movie_mediu.jpg

This is a retake of the Hornby West Country with Howes' sunds - no changes from before, just fewer clunks in the video sound. Mrs SRman was driving and it took several takes to get this footage right!

th_HowesWestCountryClasstake2-movie.jpg

Here is the Bachmann class 24, now fitted with a bass enhanced speaker from DCC Supplies, sited where the original Bachmann speaker was, plus an additional ESU 20mm round speaker fitted into the fuel tanks underneath. I think this now sounds really good - I love it!

th_HowesClass24BassEnhanced-movie_medi.jpg

Here is the Bachmann class 108 with Howes' sounds again but this time with a larger bass reflex speaker fitted, sitting where I have removed some seats and facing upwards. I will try to improve the somewhat intrusive speaker and decoder locations in the near future. Another one with Mrs SRman driving - again many takes to get this looking and sounding right (according to my script).

th_HowesClass108BassReflex-movie.jpg

And that just about brings me back up to date ... until the next round of re-blows, updates or purchases!! wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Dear SRman

Your video clips of DCC Sound are great.

I am interested to fit a 2nd speaker to a class 20 as you have done. What should I watch for? Are they wired in series and do I need two 50ohm speakers or 100ohm types.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Alan

OK, so to start off, here, at long last, is the vid of my Hornby class 73 with Howes' beta version of the diesel sounds. Bryan of Howes has not yet released this for general consumption as he wants feedback before finalising it.

I have put two versions here one of 5.8MB and one of 18.5MB - both are the same movie just that one is higher quality but may tax some people's download bandwidth.

Other modifications include fitting a bass-reflex speaker and reversing one of the driving axles so that the unobstructed electrical pickups are on three wheels on each side while there is now only one traction tyre per side, as opposed to having two on one side and none on the other as it comes from Hornby's factory.

Video was courtesy of Neil S Wood and his skills, camera and tripod - thanks again, Neil. (thumbs up smiley goes here when available) All editing and effects were done by me using Pinnacle Studio 12.

The smaller one:

th_HowesClass73beta-movie_medium_4-3.jpg

The larger one:

th_HowesClass73beta-movie_full_4-3.jpg

Hi Graham, i would suggest on the 37 you try fitting 2 x 23 ml speakers in the tanks, its by far the best sound in most peoples experience.

Or even better a DCC Supplies bass reflex in the tanks,the notes just go a little lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsF_pbX1O0

And another video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FmbhBZWCo

Or even better a DCC Supplies bass reflex in the tanks,the notes just go a little lower.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MSsF_pbX1O0

when comparing the two side by side at shows / club, i have found people still prefered the 2 x 23 over base. I have a base fitted 37 and although a bit deeper, it does not punch through at shows as wel as the twin set up.

when comparing the two side by side at shows / club, i have found people still prefered the 2 x 23 over base. I have a base fitted 37 and although a bit deeper, it does not punch through at shows as wel as the twin set up.

I have a SWD mk 4 with that set up as well, and i still prefer the reflex in the tanks it just sounds more natural, like the real thing, although my layout room only has a 6' 3'' ceiling -maybe that has something to do with it.

Large rooms and sound does get lost, unless your stood over the loco.

The 23mm speakers are not low end/bass capable speakers and in my opinion, tend to sound 'tinny' on their own.

I suspect that the reason 'people still prefer the 2 x 23 over base' is because they haven't recognised the purpose of the bass. It isn't meant to be used on its own because it only handles the lower end sounds. It should be used with a secondary speaker such as the 23mm so that the two different speakers handle different frequencies at different ends of the range. A bass definitely does sound 'dumbed down' on its own, but supplemented with a 23mm, sounds _really_ good.

I have fitted both a DCC Supplies Bass-reflex and 20x40 or 23mm to my diesels and the results are far superior to just a pair of 23mm speakers. It became very apparent to me that the bass renders sounds which were not even audible with 23mm's on their own (various 'hums', motors and fans etc) - because they are not designed for those frequencies.

This is why hi-fi systems use multiple different speaker sizes. We should do the same.