Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

The blue one looks better than the b/g version, not sure why. Need to see in the flesh but still excited by the model. Hoping Harburn commission a strathclyde orange variant from the 1980s to go with their 107 ltd edition as the Hornby one is out of date and overpriced.

I suspect it is because the window frames are painted grey to match the sides on the blue/grey unit while they stand out in unpainted aluminium on the blue version. While the painted frames are quite correct, they serve to make the windows look smaller on the b/g model. They will probably look better on the final product in normal lighting conditions.

I'd say that is correct. I took a good look at them yesterday and they look great. The lighting on the stand and in the hall itself often accentuates raised relief to a distracting extent.

Personally, I think they look like good, solid models. Besides, they're still pre-production examples. They impressed me, anyway. 

Incidentally, for those who are interested, the destinations on the Blue unit are Newcastle and (I think) Carlisle. The B/G example has Norwich on one end. 

There does seem to be a lot of daylight between the body and bogies.

That was the one thing that stood out for me.  Hopefully it's just down to it still being pre-production.

There's a video clip briefly showing the 101s in entry #103 here.  Get ready to pause from 0:25 seconds: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74710-warley-national-2013/page-5

Pause the video at 0:29 and it captures the look of a 101 to me!

The blue one looks better than the b/g version, not sure why. Need to see in the flesh but still excited by the model. Hoping Harburn commission a strathclyde orange variant from the 1980s to go with their 107 ltd edition as the Hornby one is out of date and overpriced.

I notice (from Flickr) that the blue and grey car 51435 found itself in Devon in the early 1990s paired with a  108 car

before turning Strathclyde orange as part of 101 690 

cheers

Some comments being made elsewhere about the height of the windows. Real thing http://www.freefoto.com/preview/24-60-2/Class-101-DMU--Mid-Norfolk-Railway--Wymondham

Now that's been pointed out they do look a tad shallow. Probably not a show stopper but moulded on handrails - tut, tut...............

Stu

Looking very promising, but doesn't that red buffer beam on the Blue/Grey version rather limit the model in time and place? Or were there lost like that?

A quick search of Flickr shows red bufferbeamed 101s (2 and 3 cars) between 1986 and 1990 at Dawlish, Cambridge, Oxford, Hebden Bridge, Tonbridge, Braintree and Reading.  There's one in August 1983 on the Leeds to Skipton route and one in 1979 at Huddersfield.

I saw them at Warley NEC as well and thought the all blue one was the better.  The front ends are superb - a major improvement over the Lima/Hornby ones, the under frames are vastly superior and of course running quality will be excellent.

Maybe it's just me, but the sides of the blue/grey one looked wrong.  Shouldn't the windows sit slightly lower down in the grey band?

It's little more than conjecture for me, not actually having a model to measure, but on first sight I thought the main windows to look a bit small.  The photos other members are posting would seem to support that view.  I think it might be compounded by having the driver's door window very slightly too large.  Again, guesswork without a model to measure- all I can go on is the relative positions of various details.  The depth of the sliding vents also looks out.  

The roof looks nice, which is something that let down the 108 in my opinion.

Archived