Simond

Clockmaker? - there’s skill in that trade, and it’s pretty unusual. I guess the skills & experience of metalworking shows in your modelmaking. How did you get into that?

I’ve got quite a bit of cad experience, but I’m not at all sure it’s hugely relevant - still, if I can help, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Simond

I guess to a certain degree programs become more operator friendly, plus the hardware to do the cutting becomes both cheaper to buy and easier to use. So for anyone interested it is easier to get involved in the design and or manufacture of items. Then of course many have restricted time on their hands, so many things we would like to do with so little time available

Having said this the ability to put these sequences into operation from an idea in the mind to a set of usable parts does in my mind take a lot of special skills coming together

Hi John,

It’s certainly true that CAD & CAM have become hugely more accessible over the last decade or so, I guess the increase in availability of PCs as their cost came down, boosts the market potential, and businesses see the opportunity.

I recently employed a young engineer, he’s very interested in 3D printing, and occasionally makes bits for me, alongside some pretty technical stuff to improve his own printer. It cost around £300. Lasers are in the range of £500, Silhouette cutters are a couple of hundred, even NC milling & engraving at a few hundred, none of which was mainstream 10 years ago. I remember being utterly captivated by an NC miller at a Model Engineering exhibition some years back, and it was utterly unaffordable - £’000’s.

So it’s exciting times for those of us who enjoy such toys!

Regarding bringing it all together - I guess it’s my profession, so I’m not at all sure why I do it for fun too!

Best

Simon

• Like 3

Simon

I have always thought of myself as a Jack of All Trades, Master of None. I have dabbled in this and that and learned and forgotten a lot along the way. When I retired I was thinking of doing what Alan Buttler is doing so successfully. I even thought his choice of 3D printer was the way to go, but I am glad I didn’t because Alan has taken his business model way beyond my ken and I am a much better customer than competitor.

I can’t remember my first CAD program, it was for an 8086 CPU! But then I found myself the owner of a Mac IIfx when a potential business partner declared bankruptcy and I had to buy the damned thing for thousands of dollars. Actually, it was a turning point and although I wanted to pursue CAD, as a geologist it was not the ideal machine (all the major oil companies dropped Macs around 1986 because the Mac threatened their IT job security). Sometimes being different actually helps one’s career. I became good at economics thanks to an industry downturn and Excel on the Mac worked really well. Then it was desktop publishing and the Mac came into its own though my employer at the time, who knew nothing about computers, could not understand why I used my own Mac at work. i made him a wealthy man and then he fired me. True!

I am rambling but the point is that when you cast around with a fishing rod you never know what you might catch. The odd old boot one day, 50 mackerel the next.

I remember a saying when starting out in America. It’s not true you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, he’s fed up with the old ones.

So true, Paul

• Like 3

Well, after some though, and measurement, and head scratching, the floor and pits of the #1 model have been consigned to the bin, and a complete new floor cut. Call it a prototype. The issue was to do with chairing the rails. I’m going to Didcot on Castle’s tour in a few weeks so there’s an opportunity for more photos, and they’re required, but I now have the “shelf” along the sides of the pit a bit wider, and the pit a bit narrower. I’ve gone for 25mm, which is a shade over 3’6”, which is a “believable number”, but of course the track is 43mm further apart in reality! I suppose I could have made the shed track to 33mm, I don’t suppose anything would have fallen down the gap...

The whole floor has now been cut, pre-painted, and the first quadrants are glued together. The laser will accept pieces up to 9”x12”, which is what I now cut from the 3’x4’ sheets, but I had a stock of A4 originally, and designed the floor panels around that.

Effectively the floor is 8 sheets each a bit less than A4, each cut to a horseshoe, to drop the inspection pit in. The open ends are glued together, and drying as I type. Photos later today I hope.

The pits are slot-and-tab and are now made. I probably won’t glue them in til they’re weathered.

I had a pot of pale grey emulsion from my daughter’s bedroom redecoration, which I took some of, and thinned. Two coats, with a bit of brushing out here & there forms a reasonable base for a bit of specking, and a good helping of dirt. Not too much, the shed is supposed to be no more than a few years old, but locos are grubby, oily beasts at the best of times.

More later,

Best

Simon

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

In between jigs & reels and lithium & Duchesses, ive been making small steps on PD.

The floor & pits for the shed are now done, and partially painted, and the shallower outdoor pits have been fitted to the apron, which has been fixed down. I’ll have to cover over the screws, which I used because I may need to get the turntable out at some point.

The curves leading into the turntable are 1800mm on the gauge face of the inside rail, according to the CAD. The jury’s out regarding my track laying! Anyway, in order to get as close as possible to this, I mad3 a couple of gauges from 2mm Perspex, which lasers like a dream. These allow me to lay the sleepers accurately to start with, and then I can lay the rails smoothly on top. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s easier to glue the sleepers to a bit of cornflake packet, and then glue that down, so that’s what I’ve done. It’ll be hidden under the ballast anyway.

Some photos for your amusement

post-20369-0-77767400-1535198728_thumb.jpeg

Gauges & sleepers on card

post-20369-0-13681700-1535198749_thumb.jpeg

Sleepers loosely in place, and card ramp to get the height down from the 3.6mm cork underlay to the apron height.

post-20369-0-04066700-1535198791_thumb.jpg

Overview of shed entry.

Best

Simon

• Like 7

Well, I didn’t make a template or jig to centralise the rails over the sleepers, and I regret it, as some of the sleepers are a bit offset. Not sure much can be done short of a major rip up, jury’s out, as it’s not obvious, but it might annoy me enough to do it.

On a much more positive note, the track is wired and works, and, as you can see, I’ve been assembling part of my loco shed. Temporarily!

Lots of work to do, not least weathering the concrete, and revising the design of the roof trusses. I’ve started designing the roof itself.

The outbuilding is the boiler house. The boiler will be a semi-clad Dean goods, with an absurdly tall chimney. I haven’t scaled it, but I think it’s over a foot high, which is going to be a challenge.

Once I’ve made my mind up, I can ballast the approach roads, which will kill much of the bare boards appearance.

post-20369-0-70649700-1535489325_thumb.jpeg

Wiring under the loco shed floor.

post-20369-0-97786600-1535489375_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-35525900-1535489421_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-59347700-1535489462_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-93337800-1535489515_thumb.jpeg

I think it’s getting there

Best

Simon

• Like 14

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_08_2016/post-20369-0-70621500-1470487202.jpeg

Compare & contrast... this was originally posted way back on page 19. It’s a cropped and mirrored picture from Lyons’ GW Sheds, and shows what I’m trying to achieve.

Need a lower camera angle!

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 6

Thanks guys,

Herewith a photo shot somewhat hurriedly this morning, from nearer “ground level”.

post-20369-0-14910200-1535523594_thumb.jpeg

The b/w image is indeed remarkably clean. To paraphrase John Cleese, “well, it’s certainly unpolluted by steam engines”.

I think it was probably the handover day, assuming it was built by contractors under the loan acts.

I’m aiming for a “still quite new but lived-in” look. I do wish I’d had room for the ash siding.

Shopping list for Telford; yard lamps...

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 10

Rich,

Thank you, I’m pleased you’re enjoying it. I hope you enjoyed Telford as much as I did.

I’ve just got home, having picked up some bits & pieces, including a couple of lights, which I hope will look ok. I’ve also ordered a couple of lattice etches from Pete at Scale Signal Supply, which I intend to use for the tall. light which is very obvious in the photo of Leamington.

Best

Simon

• Like 4

I also bought a Green Scenes Flockit, I’ve been having a go at my photo plank, but did a bit on PD too.

post-20369-0-21015700-1536093987_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-08217400-1536094254_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-53056000-1536094096_thumb.jpeg

Experimental at the moment!

Sorry about the poor photos, need to sort out a decent light.

More to follow.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 8

I know that feeling :)

I’m trying to prioritise.

The Duchess was to run on John’s garden line, but isn’t up to it as a BPRC Loco. Frustrating, but will be sorted, eventually. Probably when the weather is too cold for Thursday evening sessions. Can go on back burner for a few months.

Garratt. Has been on the back burner for far too long. Need to get finger out, buy brass, buy milling cutters and get on with it.

The loco shed needs to make progress now, before it’s too cold to sit comfortably in the garage, minding the laser (not to be left to its own devices!). I’d guess that gives me about 4-5 weeks. Putting a heater on in the garage is a non starter as it’ll cover everything in condensation. Did chat with David Smith regarding using a dehumidifier, but I need the door to close convincingly for that to be practicable... and so on it goes!

Baseboards, scenery etc. Waiting on progress on the shed building.

Crane - rail mounted. Jib started. Match truck started. Kits for riding vans awaiting attention.

Crane - dockside. Has been part built in a box since 2010. See comments re Garratt above.

Mogul - untouched. 1366 - ditto. Both will be staying that way for a while.

Castle - requires crew & injectors to complete.

King - requires crew & some minor details to complete.

Didn’t mean to buy a kit for a large prairie but it was a real bargain...

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 4

Good gracious, Simon, that resembles my own list!

I started a list today as well for the Autumn when back in France.  It looks like this, so far!

A problem shared is a problem halved!

Paul

Penmaenpool To Do, Autumn 2018

Wiring

• Fit 5 amp Smart Booster and Test with Jubilee etc.
  • Wire up Programming Track
  • Collect material for WiThrottle
  • Test run WiThrottle

Locomotives

• Order decoders from YouChoos for Mogul and Dukedog
  • Fit extras and real coal to Large Prairie
  • Run in Large Prairie on DC
  • Start on Tender for Bulldog
  • Start on Tender for Mogul
  • Start on Bulldog Chassis
  • Start on Mogul Chassis
  • Send Jubilee tender to Cliff Williams for decoder/speaker upgrade

Stock

• Weather BP/Shell oil tanker

Track

• Finalize adjustments to inclines on hidden tracks and test
  • Design Signal Box Control Panel
  • Design scenic modules
  • Place track supports for scenic modules

I forgot, there’s a pair of Minerva panniers that need numbering, crews, weathering, lamps and generally sorting out.

There’s probably another seventeen jobs hiding down the line!

But, as Chris K said, it’s not a race.

Best

Simon

• Like 1