My first N Gauge Micro-Layout

NGaugeTom

Hi All,

I recently have had a bit of holiday to get serious with my micro N gauge layout that I started about 2 years ago. Here's a pic:

post-10504-0-18594100-1385906348_thumb.jpg

The micro layout features a two track mainline with a junction at the front of the layout and the beginnings of a freight yard towards the back. Due to space limitations I was limited to 2 x1 ft and with only modern mainline rolling stock I was stuck to begin with. I then noticed Chris Nevard's micro layouts and thought that might be fun. This small layout has allowed me to start concentrating on the micro details that are so often missed in bigger layouts, for example I've just finished adding the third-rail and scratch built ground signals in the yard.

I've replaced the front of the layout with a nice black frame and am currently trying to find a name. There's a whole list of things that need replacing; bridges, signals, grass (in parts) but I'm hoping to keep the forum updated with the layouts progress. I'm also very tempted to go for a re-wire and DDC sound!

Hi All,

I recently have had a bit of holiday to get serious with my micro N gauge layout that I started about 2 years ago. Here's a pic:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The micro layout features a two track mainline with a junction at the front of the layout and the beginnings of a freight yard towards the back. Due to space limitations I was limited to 2 x1 ft and with only modern mainline rolling stock I was stuck to begin with. I then noticed Chris Nevard's micro layouts and thought that might be fun. This small layout has allowed me to start concentrating on the micro details that are so often missed in bigger layouts, for example I've just finished adding the third-rail and scratch built ground signals in the yard.

I've replaced the front of the layout with a nice black frame and am currently trying to find a name. There's a whole list of things that need replacing; bridges, signals, grass (in parts) but I'm hoping to keep the forum updated with the layouts progress. I'm also very tempted to go for a re-wire and DDC sound!

Nice layout. Re-wire and DCC sound? Don't be tempted, just do it. You will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. Good luck.  

Thanks for all the kind comments.

It is indeed a mirror under the bridge. The bridges at both ends are very quick mock-ups to get the feel for the layout and help decide what I can add before the layout feels cluttered.

And for the third rail I've used code 40 rail from the 2mm association. I tried various methods of attaching the rail to make it look realistic on a bit of spare track but settled on this technique:

Once the tracks been ballasted and weathered I began by drilling a 1mm hole on every fifth sleeper. Then I marked the placement of these holes on the code 40 rail. I soldered a 1mm thick wire to every mark on the rail and then used a pair of pliers to gently ramp the ends. Each wire was then passed through the holes and to once I was happy with the height of the rail I simply bent the wire tightly underneath the layout and added some PVA into the holes. This gives a the third rail a slight height and the correct look in terms of the way it is held in place.

Here's a photo of the third rail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/110344376@N08/11153971014/

The layout is a snap shot of a part of the South West Trains line, It's not an exact location but is heavily influenced by the beginning of the freight sidings at Woking on the south side, where the two track branch splits to Alton. The period I've chosen is early to mid-naughties. I've been trying to get hold of a 3-car Class 158 in South West Trains livery, if anyone knows of anyone that is looking to give their 158 a new home then I would be very interested.

This evening I've fitted the bi-colour LED panels into the layout fascia, these can be battery powered or mains powered and allows me to change the lighting from full daylight to a very warm sunset orange. Each panel has 200 LED's, they are self contained units with light diffusers fitted to soften the light and fill the layout.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a layout update after some dust was removed last week!

A few changes afoot - I'm planning to re-wire the layout for DCC operation. I've recently purchased a couple of DCC equipped loco's so there's no better time to do it.

I was never really happy with the brown colouring of the ballast so (as you can see in the front left of the layout) I've been testing chinchilla sand applied thinly over the top, it's very fine and I'm very happy with the first test area. It will need a light dry brush but looks much better to me than N gauge ballast.

I've removed the third rail, although nice it was a pain on some rolling stock and was very fragile when it came to cleaning, and from an artistic point of view it just made the track look cluttered - with such a small layout that was the last thing I wanted.

Also will be building a traverser fiddle yard that's portable, would like to exhibit it at some point...

post-10504-0-64240300-1395133117_thumb.jpg

post-10504-0-99591800-1395133140_thumb.jpg

post-10504-0-19215400-1395133162_thumb.jpg

Archived