Hounslow Sidings

RAY NORWOOD

Hi

I have started a new project. It is going to be anther Shunting layout, this time it is going to be of Hounslow sidings. Hounslow is the neighbouring town of Isleworth where I was brought up, but Isleworth did not have a yard. I remember shunting there when I was a fireman at Feltham MPD in 1964 till 1967 when Feltham closed. Hounslow is situated on the Twickenham and Hounslow loop just of the Whitten and Hounslow Junction triangle of South West London. 

I will only do the Hounslow Yard but will not do the Up and Down main lines, the station has a bay road in which will be in the project. There is a long footbridge that went over the head shunt and that will be my scenic brake and the head shunt will be a sector plate. The track will be C/L flexi track and points hand built with C/L components and the buildings is going to be scratch built. The yard has a goods shed, coal siding with a office and two sidings for vehicle loading, I believe it was for the M.O.D as there was a army barracks at Hounslow heath.

The board will be 4ftx2ft and a sector plate size 1ftx2ft just the size for a small tank loco and a wagon or two, will be attached on the end.  The construction is of softwood 1inx2in with 9mm plywood 4ftx4ins at two sides to hold the legs with 3mm MDF on top with styrene condense fibreboard on top track isolation.

Will tell you more as thing go along.

Track plan.             

post-3746-0-68885900-1385906874_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that you are making a start Ray!

One thought, would it be work making the fiddle yard a little longer to give a litte more scope, plus would allow for a coach and loco, which can be pushed into the bay.

Hi

I have started a new project. It is going to be anther Shunting layout, this time it is going to be of Hounslow sidings. Hounslow is the neighbouring town of Isleworth where I was brought up, but Isleworth did not have a yard. I remember shunting there when I was a fireman at Feltham MPD in 1964 till 1967 when Feltham closed. Hounslow is situated on the Twickenham and Hounslow loop just of the Whitten and Hounslow Junction triangle of South West London. 

I will only do the Hounslow Yard but will not do the Up and Down main lines, the station has a bay road in which will be in the project. There is a long footbridge that went over the head shunt and that will be my scenic brake and the head shunt will be a sector plate. The track will be C/L flexi track and points hand built with C/L components and the buildings is going to be scratch built. The yard has a goods shed, coal siding with a office and two sidings for vehicle loading, I believe it was for the M.O.D as there was a army barracks at Hounslow heath.

The board will be 4ftx2ft and a sector plate size 1ftx2ft just the size for a small tank loco and a wagon or two, will be attached on the end.  The construction is of softwood 1inx2in with 9mm plywood 4ftx4ins at two sides to hold the legs with 3mm MDF on top with styrene condense fibreboard on top track isolation.

Will tell you more as thing go along.

Track plan.             

Look forward to this one Ray

E

Evening Ray

Had hoped to be at Royston, but with all the changes in my life over the last year, real life got in the way. In fact, thinking about it, I haven't managed a single show this year.

Hopefully next year will be different.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I like the look of this. I'll have to come back and see how it's going.

The only places I knew in Hounslow were the Tube Station, the high street shops - C&A in particular, the swimming pool, and the really friendly Hunslow Chinese Restaurant.

Polly

In your plan, you have a traverser to shunt with, but you could still use a 'fiddle stick' (similar to a cassette) to supply the bay, single car parcels &/or passenger, plus when not using it, your traverser could feed a parcels van into it.

Hi Polly

I take it you are from Hounslow area.  Hounslow had three tube stations (east, central, west), C&A's was at the east end of the high street. I also remember the Regal Cinema at the west end of town, I believe it is Morrison's know and when I was very young there was the Odeon cinema in the middle of the town that is when the trolley bus's went  through the town.

O the old days.         

i lived in bedfont then, caught the 117 bus to hounslow, if i recall correctly... the only working steam i saw was in that area, up towards feltham, so early sixties... i was very young, and we moved a lot....brentford, heathrow village... if i had a tenner for every address we had, i`d be rich:-D

I have been busy making the baseboard this last few days. I made it self standing with fold up legs just as I did on Yard Shunter but a lot more higher, 4ft. The sector plate slides into wooden dowels need to get two fasteners to hold in place. I have to put the back scene boards on and then the celotex styrene board on top.  Still got more to do on the baseboards. 

post-3746-0-56562100-1386084940_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-64692400-1386084948_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-78041000-1386084958_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-77762700-1386084969_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-02307800-1386084980_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-63126000-1386084986_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-76619500-1386085003_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating project.  I'm local to the area and live not far from what was 70B. The "Britain From Above" website has one image of Hounslow SR but coverage of Feltham and westwards to Ashford is better.

The Feltham images show the line into the RAOC depot which used to run from the SR line partly in the road, across Feltham High Street and along Browells Lane. This was still extant in the late 1960s and you can still see where it entered the depot.  As I recall, it was gated and came out between two shops.  This would make an interesting model.

Hounslow SR was definitely the poor relation for passenger traffic, it's some way from the main town centre. Unless specifically heading in that direction, I tend to avoid the Hounslow loop trains as that's a slow way into Waterloo!  A lot of inter-regional freight went down that line though.

Mark

Hi Ray, this looks good mate, and just to join in with everybody else that knew the area, I used to go to Isleworth Baths (not because I was dirty you understand ) but to go Swimming on a Saturday as Addlestone and Weybridge never had a Swimming Pool.

More pics soon I hope,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hounslow was a bus ride away for Christmas shopping (it had a big Store but I can't remember what it was called) and clothes at other times of the year, the weekly school swimming lesson (Isleworth was the other one we went to until the Hayes pool was built) and a Chinese night out with friends a few years later.

Well, it seems you've got a ready audience, Ray.  So keep it coming.

Thanks.

Polly