Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

Predictions:

4-BEP, either all-green with whistles  (1st Kent Coast batch), or green with yellow warning panel door and horns  (2nd Kent Coast batch).  Only needs a new Buffet car to drop into the existing 4-CEP.

BR Standard 2-HAP will probably have to wait until Bachmann have access to the 'Thumper' tooling, but I live in hope!

Slight possibility of up-scaling the air-smoothed MN to 00 but Hornby are next to the announcement table and there's no point in duplication of a class of 30 varied locos!

Richard 

• RMweb Gold

Here's a Big-Four list along the lines of "Hey Bachmann, these are what will sell"...........

LMS)    Fowler 7F 0-8-0 (The sound of clogs and Wippets will be heard across Moor' as folk make a dash fer't box-shifter baht 'at).

LNER) Thompson A2/3  (All anti-Thompie grievances will be forgotten as the 'east coast gap' is finally filled).

GWR)  Duke 4-4-0         (There ain't much left apart from the big 47XX and Saint and the chassis is already there).

SR)      S15                    (Contrary to popular myth, there was more to the SR than Maunsell and Bullied express injuns. The S15 is a good inter-regional all-rounder)

Spit the pips out of that..... :boast:

I'm not so sure about the Austin Seven Coach - but then some folk will buy anything with eight coupled wheels ;) .  The A2/3 would almost certainly sell - after all it's yet another East Coast pacific for those who want them and it's a big green engine for those who want them, two instant markets.  The Duke contributed the boiler to the Dukedogs, the frames came from the Bulldogs - so two options and it all depends if 'Great Western sells', which seems to be debatable when it comes to pre 1948 liveries.  And the S15 would undoubtedly do well - it's big (so again a hit with people who like big engines), it was in green at some stage, and it would suit lots of Southern and Western layouts.

But I reckon a Webb Coal Tank would do better than any of them (2015 list from Bachmann is my prediction for that one - so it should be on the market before my 70th birthday with a  bit of luck and running to the same sort of production timescale as the Dukedog :jester: )

Enough of locos, carriages and wagons, what else would sell well. Thinking of everyday buildings, perhaps some metal working, generic colour light signals, a small range of big four buffer stops, etc.

For me, more mucky industrial buildings, and accessories like pipe over bridges, storage tanks etc.

Brit15

We are not all Allan Downes coach !!!. I have a large loft layout, hence many buildings rqd. I have a mix of scratch built, kit built and ready to plonk. Works out fine for me. I have not the time or skill to build em all.

I increasingly think the China factory(s) output capacity will depend on what we are offered in future. Big problem, will/can it be solved ?.

Brit15

I'm looking forward to what will be the next NRM commision. That may also reflect what Bachmann add to the main range, as all the previous commisions bar the DELTIC have appeared in the main range as different identities. I would really love to see Hardwicke appear, but that may be a tall ask. The Stirling single would certainly be eye catching too, though could it sustain sales in the main range? Pre-grouping does seem to sell well though as illistrated by pretty much every pre-grouping release selling out quickly. An SECR brakevan to match the C class and SECR wagon released through the clooectors' club would be nice.

• RMweb Gold

The Fowler 7F was not simply a stretched 4F....It was a mighty machine. Compare the presence of 49657 with the Austerity at Manchester victoria on 3rd February 1955. Note the WD has no smokebox numberplate. The Thompson Full Brake on the left carries carmine red with single black and yellow waist lining....

attachicon.gifWEB 7F and WD 8F.jpg

Photo by Brian Green

A former boss of mine was at one time a Goods Guard on the Central Division of the LMS and - egged on by another former boss who was also ex LMS - I duly asked him what he thought about Austin Sevens from his past role as a Guard riding behind them.  His reply was far too rude to print but suffice to say it amounted to a very low opinion of them.

Haven't noticed any mention of The GWR Steam Railmotor in this thread or in the Hornby predictions. Has it fallen out of favour?

<Someone> did.

At some point soon, an RTR railmotor is a given. As I said in the Hornby thread, I don't know who will do it but I sure hope they do a good job with the lining out. To date, Hornby's lining has been superior to Bachmann Branch-Line. As Hornby's manufacturing re-stabilizes it will be interesting to see if their earlier quality in lining is maintained.

Someone will do a GWR steam railmotor and possibly even this year. I don't know if this will be Hornby or Bachmann Branch-Line, but whomever does, I sure hope they use those lovely tampo printers that Kader Manufacturing Services used on the Maunsell and LNER teak coaches for the lining.

Above, Larry highlights the Duke, Saint and 47xx as big ticket items for the GWR, and while I agree with him, with a Star now done (gripes about the details elsewhere) the Railmotor is, to me, the most desirable GWR motive power along with a Saint (and an ex-Swansea Harbour Trust Peckett).

There are plenty of things that could be redone and a loco-drive Dean goods has to be high on that list, though it seems unlikely that Bachmann would take that on. At this point, I'd much rather see GWR coaching stock than big locomotives. Churchward toplights continue to be my preference, but as has been discussed, 1920s bow-ended Collett 57' stock would be a sensible choice for a manufacturer.

I just hope whoever does it is up to the lining required even if it makes the coaches a bit more expensive.

Bachmann Branch-Line established themselves with a strength in wagons. I'd love to see them do MICAs, BLOATERs and MONSTERs in RTR, but I'm wish-listing a bit there

Perhaps with their recent crush on Prussian Blue Bachmann will release some S&DJR coaching stock - even shorties would be nice. (I would be so delighted. Never been done before and so, so pretty.)

The Q6 was mentioned in the first post so my ears pricked up. I will nail my NER colours to the mast now and see how many "Agrees/thumbs-ups" and "disagrees" I get as a sort of marketing test for Bachy and others, should they ever stumble across this thread.

Both the Q6 0-8-0 and J27 0-6-0 (I have indicated the wheel arrangement for those uninterested in anything ex-LNER, haha ) were extremely long lived, designed and built to last for rough work by people who knew and amongst the last steam locos on BR. Both I believe have examples in preservation so are available for inspection by Bachy or others, so a reasonable chance of getting a good result model-wise.

Either of these would be great for me but what about the rest of the market????

Regards,

The Q6 was mentioned in the first post so my ears pricked up. I will nail my NER colours to the mast now and see how many "Agrees/thumbs-ups" and "disagrees" I get as a sort of marketing test for Bachy and others, should they ever stumble across this thread.

Both the Q6 0-8-0 and J27 0-6-0 (I have indicated the wheel arrangement for those uninterested in anything ex-LNER, haha ) were extremely long lived, designed and built to last for rough work by people who knew and amongst the last steam locos on BR. Both I believe have examples in preservation so are available for inspection by Bachy or others, so a reasonable chance of getting a good result model-wise.

Regards,

Both still around with the Q6 complete for scanning purposes with the J27 well on its way back to operational condition so it could be scanned soon :yes:

Regards,

The J21, 65033 has to be one of the saddest and often overlooked stories of preservation. A gorgeous locomotive, designed for routes and lines that its classmates did till the end of steam - yet remains overlooked by all those thinking its all about Gresley for the Eastern region or that its all about Pacifics.....

That said... Id quite like a 15xx pannier too!

• RMweb Gold

how about a DCC ready well turn table would be nice, to go with there other MPD bits they already make it's about the only thing missing. as they are doing the princess coronation in N, I wonder if they might scale it up or may be Royal, as Hornby's is looking a bit left behind nowadays. I would be happy with the Austin 7 too.

I agree, fun or otherwise, it is too early for this but as the gauntlets been thrown I'll help to stir everybodys cappuccino's up......

At least the threads got the credence of seeking out the linked themes so its not completely without rhyme or reason but its not just Bachmann - do not forget N gauge and Farish.

Firstly, with the release date being pushed back it would appear to give the company some breathing room to catch up with other models so thats got to be a good thing to come from the pushed back date as this year become 16/17months instead of 12.  OK not so great for us hungry impatient buyers looking for the next new thing but this extended year might improve matters for the next few years.

Themes from my own areas of interest?  The LMR/WCML

The new Mk2 aircon coaches will have the option of DCC lighting and detailed interiors - maybe Bachmann will take a fresh look at its Mk1 family and sort out the roof issues and provide a choice of DCC and non-DCC fitted coaches with better interior detailing and lighting.  I dont know how old the current core Mk1s are now?  This revision has to be a case of when not if.........

A weathered Class 85. 

Next Year is Bachmanns 25th.

2014 is also the Class 87 electrics 40th (well 1974 was the official launch of the Class on the Anglo Scottish WCML route)  A fact that I felt the need to bring to the attention of Dennis Lovett ooh...about 18 months back.

Tying into the LMR theme and complimenting the Class 85 and building on the AC stable, a new Class 87 in 00 seems to pop up on many wishlisters, er lists including mine.  If they do, then my N gauge project will be quickly abandoned before its begun!

I think a new Farish N gauge Class 87 can be ruled out (for now) given that two new liveries of the existing model are due soon.  An 87 also links in superbly with the forthcoming Mk2f's.  Jobs a good 'un  :)  Maybe Farish will go for the Class 85 as the coaching families are all there to run with them.

One things certain - Bachmanns joined up thinking will continue to make people very happy.....

I just wish that Bachmann UK would transfer some of their ideas to Bachmann USA, not just in quality (Bachmann US seems to have got stuck in their cheap and cheerful niche), but also in the type of prototypes they choose. British modellers have been getting some great earlier prototypes, but this is a something distinctly lacking in the US

I just wish that Bachmann UK would transfer some of their ideas to Bachmann USA, not just in quality (Bachmann US seems to have got stuck in their cheap and cheerful niche), but also in the type of prototypes they choose. British modellers have been getting some great earlier prototypes, but this is a something distinctly lacking in the US

I agree ! When I told my Canadian dealer most of my UK stuff was Bachmann they wondered why? 

I'm afraid I was too lazy to trawl through all the Bachmann and Hornby predictions for a mention of the GWR Rail Motor. Anyway I was confident that someone would put me right. I was not disappointed! So here is a photo of the real thing at Carrog last April to make up!

Given the announcement of the LB&SCR Atlantic last summer, a GNR Large Atlantic for an NRM Special would seem to follow. However don't forget the beautiful SE&CR Wainwright D Class 4-4-0, especially as Bachmann are so good at the SE&CR Livery. Also it would complete the set of 4-4-0s, one for a constituent railway of each of the Big Four!

Finally surely Bachmann will want to revamp the J72 for their 25th Birthday. A model of "Joem" would be great!

post-4790-0-77504800-1386772733_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's about time Bachmann reintroduced a DRS 66. How about 66421 upwards? They have the same lights and body tooling of the previously released 66623/66301/66731. (Admittedly two of these were LtdEd's)

Cheers,

Mick

So here is a photo of the real thing at Carrog last April to make up

Not that you had to do anything to make up, but thank you for that fine photograph. That crimson lake livery really is quite lovely. The motor and trailer make such a delightful subject for a model. I find it quite irresistible.

Chocolate and cream suits my period better but a model should be offered in crimson lake as preserved. Hopefully both will be available when this appears. Surely it must someday?

Archived