Pre Cast Concrete Garage?

Hi all, I am due to move house soon and the property has a Pre Cast Concrete Garage, has anyone any experience of having a layout in one?

I would insulate and line it but it already has daylight showing in some joins, I would also do the floor with insulation.

The choice is that, or demolish it and buy a 16 x 10 Timber Shed and insulate and line that.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, I am due to move house soon and the property has a Pre Cast Concrete Garage, has anyone any experience of having a layout in one?

I would insulate and line it but it already has daylight showing in some joins, I would also do the floor with insulation.

The choice is that, or demolish it and buy a 16 x 10 Timber Shed and insulate and line that.

Thanks.

Andy.

As long as it is well ventilated to prevent condensation there should not be a problem.

Thanks.

Andy.

Demolishing it may not be cheap as these usually had asbestos roofs which would be exspensive to have removed.

Dave

Hi Andy

Do you have any idea how old it is?

There are a number of potential issues with these.

Concrete is never in a steady state. It continues getting harder and harder for up to 30 years depending on conditions and then goes into a decline. These garages continue to be sound for decades but they do reach a point where they start to crumble a bit in the corners and around the fixings after a while and when disturbed eg. When drilling. They can also be incredibly hard to drill into. 

Depending on the roof material, often asbestos on older ones, they can suffer terribly from condensation if totally sealed. If they're not sealed, they are going to be difficult and/or expensive to heat.

Another thing to look out for is sealing between the sides and the base. They normally have a concrete fillet around the outside of the base of the walls. This often deteriorates and crumbles with age but is not difficult or expensive to remedy.

These are just a few things to look out for. As I said, they remain sturdy for decades and, if yours is sound, there's no reason why it shouldn't make a good home for your layout.

my layout is in a pre-cast garage with asbestos roof. i sealed the asbestos roof with bitumen then put stud wall in front of up and over door 50mm insulation on walls roof etc then plaster board over insulation. insulation on floor then this is where my job helps heating engineer, underfloor heating then chipboard on top. warm in winter cool in summer. then to get in you have to open 10mm steel rod door then external door then internal door. alarm linked to house alarm. but it helps when you can get things at trade prices.

I moved too a house  with  a similar  concrete  garage  a few  years  back,    I use  the  garage  for  a return  loop on  my G scale  garden  line, this  works  fine  as  after  all G scale  is  essentially  an outdoor  system unaffected  by  heat  cold  &  damp,

However  I have  tried to utilise   part of  the  garage  for  smaller  scales ( 00, N  & 0n30  not  all at  the  same  time!!)  but   found  that  despite efforts  to  insulate  the  building  it   is  too hot in  the  summer  and too cold in the  winter  and not a very good enviroment  in  which too  'model'

So a couple  of  years  back  I bought a wooden  shed,  which  I insulated  and  in the  colder months  I use  a simple convector  heater  in it  which only needs to be on  a low  setting to maintain a comfortable  working ( modelling)  enviroment

As noted upthread, insulation and ventilation are the keys. I'd put an insulated inner wall in (making sure there's an air gap and moisture barrier as appropriate) and probably put a second skin over the top of the existing roof with insulation in between.

I'm not sure what ventilation options are available in the UK, but given availability I'd put at least two 'whirlybird' type ventilators on the roof and ensure that there are adjustable apertures in any doors and windows to let fresh air in.

Properly insulated you shouldn't need much heating in winter. Maybe a small oil radiator to take the worst of the chill off. Summer should be bearable if the ventilation's working.

Tha above is, more or less, what I've done with my current all steel sheds, and it works brilliantly (they're actually a more comfortable and stable environment than my house) but the different material and different climate involved may invalidate it all.

Thinking about it, concrete has a good bit of thermal mass which can help keep temperatures stable. Ideally you want the thermal mass inside the insulation so, on reflection, I might just put a gyprock skin on the inside and then, if feasible, clad the outside with something like weatherboard or corrugated steel with insulation between that and the concrete.

I had exactly the same type of garage where my layout was stored (my grandparents garage) before my grandparents moved, it had a steel roof and became extremely damp in the colder months. Just moved last week and now have access to a block built asbestos roofed garage. Hopefully it doesn't condensate but my advice (if you have a steel roofed garage) would be to just build a new shed as the cost of a new roof would not be worth it as everything still needs to be insulated as well.

Michael

I bought a new 22' x 12' sectional garage back in 1982 for my O gauge railroad. Lined with 2x2 frames filled with 2" polysterene and finished with 1/2" insulation board. I moved house in 1993, dismantled layout then the garage carefully, stored the lot for a few months then re-erected it all on a new concrete base, keeping original 2" x 2" internal frames / polystyrene and most of the insulation board. The layout was completely renewed to a better "walk in" design though

Been in there today, warm as toast after a fan heater has been on for 1/2 hour. The structure wood doors and roof (asbestos) is all original and sound. Some woodwork has been replaced over the years, though not much. I repaint the woodwork evert 3 - 4 years using good paint (Johnstones). It will last for many years more to.

Regrets - none. Problems - virtually none.

post-6884-0-68688500-1386870209.jpg

post-6884-0-80816500-1386870222.jpg

Brit15

Gavin, (Stannyblade ) has made a very good point in favour of the Concrete Garage and that is long term maintenance.

As it is situated in the corner of the garden it would make it impossible to paint and maintain the back and therefore it will start to rot a lot quicker than the current concrete one.

I will replace the up and over door with a new UPVC door and window and hopefully put in a longer side window in UPVC as well.

I will line the floor with 2 inch polystyrene and 3/4 chipboard and then lino on top. And then do the walls with Kingspan and plywood.

post-9335-0-07157800-1386928134_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71534500-1386928146_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-43237100-1386928157_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Bodgit :sungum:

Looks like a decent garage Andrew, I would definitely keep it.

The main thing is waterproofing before any lining etc. I sealed all my panels with clear silicone sealant, All vertical and horizontal joins, both inside and out. I suppose these days there are alternative gun applied sealants available. Pay particular attention to the wall / floor join. Also fit gutters as rainwater (lots of it) falling off the roof will do no good at all. I also used mastic to seal any gap between the roof panels and walls.

Once its 100% watertight you can line it out. I still have the concrete floor, sealed with dilute PVA and painted grey with floor paint. Floor is a bit cold sometimes but no damp.

Biggest problem I have is that because its a large dry room and wife / kids store bikes a food freezer, etc etc in there under the layout !!!!!

Don't forget to fit a burglar alarm, mine is wired into the house system. Insurance not an issue (Magnet model insurance) as long as you conform to their requirements re locks etc.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Looking at how much space you have in the garden keeping the garage does seem the best option, the power feed probably has grandfather rights anything new has to have an electrician and underground cable.....  The windows will have to go in the panels and leave the columns to hold the roof up/on. Make sure you are supplied a house door when you change the front of the garage and that should cover the locks for insurance.

Cheers again guys, I have been looking at the cost of a Roller front door this morning and that may be a better bet than a normal door as it will still look like a Garage. I have a roller door at our present House and it takes up such little room inside it could be o.k.

If I go for the roller option I might put in another normal door and window inside so that when I'm in there I can have natural light with no drafts in the winter or the door / window open in the summer.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Cheers again guys, I have been looking at the cost of a Roller front door this morning and that may be a better bet than a normal door as it will still look like a Garage. I have a roller door at our present House and it takes up such little room inside it could be o.k.

If I go for the roller option I might put in another normal door and window inside so that when I'm in there I can have natural light with no drafts in the winter or the door / window open in the summer.

Andy :sungum:

Just blag a room in the new house !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

But if am not wrong,, you are leaving your house so should you care for these silly things??

Just make sure whom so ever you let your house you tell him the entire things so that it would be a fair deal  :)

I think it's the house he's moving to, not from, that has the garage under discussion.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

one option to waterproof and insulate the garage would be to fix kingspan to the outside then render onto the kingspan, this way you do not lose any internal space while getting the benefits of the insulation and been water tight. This method would probably mean your roof would need altering to provide more of a overhang/soffit though.

Archived