Heckington goods shed

OK guys and gals, I know im a late entry to this...

My chosen building is the Heckington Goods shed, im aiming to build it as it was, which is easy enough, as the main structure is pretty much as is, so, lets see what I can do.

Here she is now

2431530_cebec085.jpg

Sean

Sean

OK So about 28 or so hours after finding out about this, I have made my start, (I am still working on the plans for the exterior, and am planning a site visit tomorrow for more pics and accurae measurments for details, up till now, I have A) a board! B) a rough outline plan C) a start!

So, without further ado, lets get some pics, the beamwork is 6MM plastic box section, the platform is 1.5MM platicard scrap I had handy,

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

the rough edge at the bottom of the platform needs filling, but that will be done a little later, and left to cure overnight ;)

now, when the challange is done, this building will be carefully lifted and planted on my Bestwood layout, so a good deal of detail is being added at this stage, as I learned the hard way that its very hard to add into a building when its built, the platform deck is still a work in progres, to create a well used wooden feel to it, its slowly getting less streaky, and more grainy... another half a dozen or so layers of paint should do it!

IMG_3443.JPG

the beam work, and crane all need there top coats and a little weathering yet...

Thats all for tonight

Sean

A nice choice of build Sean, I only lived up the road from Heckington myself - Bicker Bar  - down the A17 through Swineshead to the A52 roundabout, turn right towards Donnington and the first ( only ) building on the right dead opposite the farm.

I believe there's some kind of road services right on the roundabout now that wasn't there when I asked the farmer if he would sell me the land to square up my pointed garden.

"Nay lad" said he "We don't sell land around here"

But obviously he never said that to the developers when they approached him - money won't buy everything, but it will if there's enough of it !

Heckington was also the home of The Waggon And Carriage Works, owned by the late Peter Marshall who was also a close personal friend and where I had something to do with persuading him to move his buisiness up from Sawbridgeworth way down south.

Lovely area, big sky, plenty of dykes, down to earth people. and of course, the Fens, the endless Fens !

Cheers.

Allan, and good luck with the build.

Thank you Alan, I just hope I can do the old lady justice.

Bicker is a nice little village too, Im in the middle, and East Heckington ;)

You are right, its a large Brownes depot, and a nusance it makes of its self too!

We have found a similar problem with our Farmer, although he has rented a large portion of his land to a wind farm developer, for 25 years, as you so rightly say, money, in large quantities, can get you many many places!

Out of interest, where was the C&W works in Heckington please? Peter Marshal is a man that will be sorely missed in the village, and in the railway club too :( it was with some regret I could not attend his memorial service.

You are not wrong, the area is one of a kind, and some of the sunsets out here are unmatched by any I have seen anywhere else. Also, being born and bread out in the fens, I would not be anywhere else!

Many thanks for the wishing of luck,

Sean

....Out of interest, where was the C&W works in Heckington please? Peter Marshal is a man that will be sorely missed in the village, and in the railway club too :( it was with some regret I could not attend his memorial service.

Hi Sean.

He had two homes in Heckington, one somewhere in the middle of the village where I once got my merc stuck up his drive  stripping off one wing mirror and a thousand quids worth of paint !,and a farm somewhere just outside the village.

The farmhouse that I mentioned opposite Browns was derelict when I bought it back in the 80's and this was at a time that I went on a quite successfull property venture that reached Sibsey and ended up in Brigg buying up houses for realy silly money - then the property bubble burst so it was sell  up the building buisiness and off to Europe in a camper, then back to model making and now here in Immingham where I'm supposed to be retired but not making a very good job of it !

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan,

I have to admit, I couldn't help but smile at the anecdote about the merc, then sob inwardly, as I am a huge merc fan, but that is another story...

I do admit, the idea of going to Europe in a camper sounds a heck of alot of fun, possibly I would be tempted to hit Russia in a insulated camper, model making on the other had, is something that is infinitely rewarding, I stumbled into it by accident, but its one of these things, people seem to like my kit building, so there you go, im not complaining. Scratch building is now my hobby :lol: retirement, what does that mean?? (I come from a blacksmithing background, where most of the men die at the forge, almost literally) and as long as you enjoy what you do, keep at it is my thoughts...

Back onto the scratch building, I have had a head scratch and released why the thing didnt look right, the platform was a good bit too narrow, so, a little fiddling, and head scratching later, and a new piece of plastic was cut for the top, this needs filing and smoothing, as it was another piece of scrap from my box of bits, the front was re-finished as a planked piece, which I think fits the 1930s more than the brick I had planned, a little modelers license taken as I cannot find much reference to the inside of this shed, as most of it was removed when it was decommissioned.
this shows it well

IMG_3448.JPG

(the wagon for scale)

also, I have been knocking up some details for the inside while waiting for glues to dry...

Needs more timber

IMG_3445.JPG

this Whitemetal donkey engine kit has been sat in my box for a while,

IMG_3446.JPG

and for the crane, a cradle and load were fabricated, the chain is stitched into place, which gives some movement to the thing,

IMG_3444.JPG

the pipes are 2MM plastic tube, painted in Bauxite, the rope is cotton thread, with a touch of glue...

Oh, and for those who like locos....

my GEM prince of wales kit

IMG_3449.JPG

More to follow

Sean

Not much to report lately, just some details being added into the shed its self, as I know full well, when the walls go up I will never get my hand in there in a month of sundays, this takes time as the glues i used take about an hour to dry (I don't like superglue for this, howefully tomorrow the walls will start to get cut!

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

Sean

Archived