K's GWR 14xx Auto Tank

aaron14xx

Hi All,

This thread will follow my progress of my 2nd loco kit (the first being a K's 1361) from start (sort of) to completion as a working loco.

Photos soon to follow, when progress allows, and thanks to school being out for the summer, progress will be aplenty!  (attached is a photo of the frames in their current condition)

post-17209-0-23846400-1387261603_thumb.jpg

If anyone can possibly upload photos of their K's 14xx kits, or help with putting mine together (mostly building the pony wheel set and mounting the motor) all help is greatly appreciated. 

I do hope you enjoy this thread,

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron

Can I suggest that you solder the frame spacers to the frame sides then you can remove the screws and have more clearance between the inside of the wheels and the outer sides of the frames?

Also clean up the wheels with some wire wool and spin the axle in a mini drill.

Pete

Hi all,

significant progress had made with the chassis finally assembled and working, but due to the pickups needing adjustments, work, although finished, has been delayed, meaning the chassis has not yet been cleared for testing, and then its subsequent enter to traffic.

Work has also started on the body, with the chimney, dome and brass safety bonnet being glued to the main boiler section.

Pics will follow tomorrow.

Regards,

Aaron.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Aaron - good luck with the build. When I was (a lot) younger  ;) , I always wanted a 14XX, but when it came to it, I could only afford theh 1361 kit, so that's what I ended up with. A few years later, when I was actually earning money in a proper job, I bought a 14XX kit and finally got the loco that I wanted. By the time I built it, the Airfix one had come out, and despite detailing one of those up for a friend, I still really enjoyed building mine.

I didn't use the K's motor, but managed to fit an ECM Type 3 motor (a 'replacement' for the old Triang X04 motor). The loco ran pretty smoothly, but made a noise that a friend likened to a meat grinder.

In the end, my 1451 became one of only two OO locos to get converted to P4.

Archived