West Yard - A Timesaver

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

In all my 26 years, I think I've had about 5 00 layouts, none of which were ever finished (Although I could run trains, which is of course where I would just end up running trains and imagining the scenery).

Now, embarking on my North Western Railway project (See my blog for locos) I need somewhere to run them, and as the locos I now have are (I hope) to a higher standard than when I were a lad, I want to provide them with a suitable backdrop.

So, I want to use a proven track layout that provides interest, and have settled on the classic 'Timesaver'.

I'd like to base part of this on Bristol Harbour, so a docks will provide the setting.

Here's my totally-not-to-scale initial sketch:

post-898-0-63907200-1514507034.jpg

The idea is to build a bigger layout in sections. The first section would be the main 'timesaver' board, which ends at the boundary wall for the harbour area. The dockside at the 'front' features a curved line with a steam crane, the 2nd road is under a travelling crane, the 3rd road leads to a closed door leading into the warehouse.

This is me, so unlikely to be done any time soon, however I hope that doing a thread about it will help!

Now, one of the things that bothers me about a lot of layouts is the lack of depth - even the most beautiful backscene can still look odd from certain angles.

Since this is designed to be operated from the front, I'd like to provide it with some depth.

One of my biggest challenges is storage, and transport in/out of my flat, so the modular approach will help here. 

To the rear of the layout is a retaining wall, atop which is the 2 or 4 track main line (Where I can do more stock posing) - this would be a separate board that would clip in to the front board.

Further to that (Both in space and time) would be the lower relief buildings - possibly in HO scale to give some forced perspective, inspired by this wonderful little layout:

So, here goes!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been fiddling with the track plan a bit, to enable larger locos (Like 704 and 805) to haul trains out of the port, I decided the two lines leading in should have the curves eased.

A few new bits of track arrived in the post today, allowing me to try it out.

post-898-0-42539400-1514507087_thumb.jpg

I'm currently thinking about ditching the 'dog leg' in the quayside, extending the front siding and having the travelling crane over this line.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right, so I've only ever had insulfrog points as my layouts tended to be the roundy roundy continuous run type with fairly high speeds (!).

Reading the Hornby Sentinel thread has made me wonder - should I sell off my insulfrogs and replace with electrofrogs now, before it's too late? Getting rather nervous about the potential for stalling at slow speeds, which on a shunting layout is probably quite likely.

Hmmm.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Well lucky me! Whilst sorting through timber in my friend's barn I found a perfectly sized pre-built baseboard! Fits in the back of the landy and the track plan plonks straight on. It's a ply top with some other wood as a frame.

post-898-0-83861700-1514507149.jpg

post-898-0-39528000-1514507202_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple more photos of the baseboard, I've been quite enjoying just running the locos up and down!

Photo also shows another of stanier's creations in the fleet, bought as a donor, but it is rather nice, so I may yet preserve it...

post-898-0-26648300-1514507266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the time since I last posted on this thread, I've moved house, decided to swap the timesaver for an MPD, buried the baseboards under gubbins, cleared up the gubbins, decided an MPD might not be the most exciting thing to operate, and gone right back to a timesaver.

The old maxim of 'run trains as soon as you can' holds true - as soon as there was power to the rails and locos moving, I was more motivated! Dug some stock out of the drawers where they had been since the house move and let them stretch their legs a bit.

The short radius points have been replaced to allow the larger tender locos to access the harbour, meaning they can bring trains in, the shunter can take over the train, and the tender loco can scuttle off to the sheds to be turned.

post-898-0-48047500-1514507306.jpg

I bit the bullet and ordered replacement electrofrog points - the jerkiness of the pannier over some of the insulfrog ones has me a tad concerned, so I want to get it running right before nailing anything down.

post-898-0-77618800-1514507328.jpg

The fictional NCB loco, as yet unnumbered, and NWR No.308.

post-898-0-15456800-1514507348.jpg

A variety of motive power out to play - 503 'The Green Five', 805 - Swindon-built from the remains of an ill-fated loco (As yet unfinished), 704 - former GNR prototype, and a Hornby 8F that was bought as a donor, but is just too good to cut up.

Edited by Corbs

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Endless changes, and daunted by the amount of work needed, I failed to make a proper start on the above. What did happen was I saw a little shunting layout in the classifieds section, which I collected last week.

I've given away my old baseboard, hopefully it will be used on a project :)

What's great about this is the track is all wired, it's mostly scenic (although needs some TLC, I imagine I'll have endless fiddling and detailing to do!) and it has point motors installed and working! Great!

Bear seems to like it a bit too much so I think I'll have to fashion a cover for it.

post-898-0-60325500-1514507482.jpg

post-898-0-64317400-1514507515.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 5

What cat? ;)

I must have been seeing things - cats really are everywhere on the 'net these days ... :scared: :senile: :beee: :nono:

But then why the gras is so furry on the black hills ... and why are they perambulating? Questions, questions ... more pictures, please.

Best Regards,

Christian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

At last a bit of progress - I do rather like the large buildings on the left side of the layout, but the sawmill and loading dock were showing their age a bit and didn't fit with what I intended to do (The cat using the yard crane as a scratching post did not help, either!) so they are being removed and the sawmill donated to my cousin's layout. I am planning to relocate the merchants huts to this corner of the yard, possibly give the famous Sudrian stonemasons A.W.Dry an office there?

post-898-0-93767200-1514507867.jpg

I've finally bought some more wagons, and at the same time, some Kadee couplings. This was my first time installing them, so thought a wagon was less likely to go horribly wrong than a loco. Happy to say it went very well!

post-898-0-26695600-1514507885.jpg

I've done a test by wedging some neodymium magnets in between the sleepers, the only issue with this is it doesn't reliably uncouple the wagons every time, so may need an extra row added to make a 2x4 group rather than 1x4. Very positive though! I'll hopefully be converting most if not all my fleet to Kadees as the 'hands off' approach appeals to me, especially on a shunting layout such as this.

post-898-0-98436600-1514507906.jpg

post-898-0-25948600-1514507921.jpg

Edited by Corbs

Right, so I've only ever had insulfrog points as my layouts tended to be the roundy roundy continuous run type with fairly high speeds (!).

Reading the Hornby Sentinel thread has made me wonder - should I sell off my insulfrogs and replace with electrofrogs now, before it's too late? Getting rather nervous about the potential for stalling at slow speeds, which on a shunting layout is probably quite likely.

Hmmm.....

I would definitely go with live frog points. Wiring is easy with motors that have built in switching. I would also suggest a double slip if you want save space. All kinds of horror stories about wiring them, but they are only 2 points back to back. I run a Hornby Pug, Sentinel and a Planet and don't have stalling problems. All DCC.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the message - the layout I've bought (above) is DC and has dead frog points but so far has been very good. I'm about to start experimenting with battery power/radio control on the shunting engines so watch this space!

• RMweb Gold

Transmitter and receivers have arrived today, need to identify a suitable test subject!

I've also experimented with 3 rows of magnets in between the sleepers, the glue was drying on them last night, so didn't have a chance to test properly. It just seemed that the 'window' to activate the kadees was too small, so hopefully this will work.

• 2 weeks later...

At last a bit of progress - I do rather like the large buildings on the left side of the layout, but the sawmill and loading dock were showing their age a bit and didn't fit with what I intended to do (The cat using the yard crane as a scratching post did not help, either!) so they are being removed and the sawmill donated to my cousin's layout. I am planning to relocate the merchants huts to this corner of the yard, possibly give the famous Sudrian stonemasons A.W.Dry an office there?

IMG_8225_zpstpngyy0m.jpg

I've finally bought some more wagons, and at the same time, some Kadee couplings. This was my first time installing them, so thought a wagon was less likely to go horribly wrong than a loco. Happy to say it went very well!

IMG_8233_zps3g3uufep.jpg

I've done a test by wedging some neodymium magnets in between the sleepers, the only issue with this is it doesn't reliably uncouple the wagons every time, so may need an extra row added to make a 2x4 group rather than 1x4. Very positive though! I'll hopefully be converting most if not all my fleet to Kadees as the 'hands off' approach appeals to me, especially on a shunting layout such as this.

IMG_8226_zpso6q4kcwp.jpg

IMG_8234_zpsuuyc4wy9.jpg

I'm sure puss will oblige with the frogs - dead or alive!  Mind you our old one brought back fushia heads.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The wooden loading dock (With brick buildings on top - ?!) has now been ripped out and binned, leaving a nice gap at the right side of the layout. I spotted this second hand coaling tower at the Nailsea MRC exhibition and thought with a bit of paint, it could make a good addition.

post-898-0-79902700-1514508054.jpg

Trouble is, the more I looked, the more holes I saw, and noticed none of it was square! I resolved to fix it up properly, so popped it in the sink in cold water, and eased/ripped it apart.

This pic is once reassembly had started and I'd filed the edges off the hopper and glued back together, and turned half of the girders so they were all the same way up!

post-898-0-24284400-1514508074.jpg

Filling gaps and sanding back

post-898-0-42643300-1514508092.jpg

Adding more bracing for rigidity

post-898-0-96733300-1514508133.jpg

I added plasticard to fill the gaps and started filler priming it and sanding back

post-898-0-92678800-1514508162.jpg

Still needs the elevator and platform adding, as well as ladder, handrails etc. But getting there!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many moons have passed since I had done some 'proper' work on the layout.

The coal hopper has had some finishing touches done which I'm rather pleased with.

Having glued the main structure together I felt it needed some reinforcement on the viewing platform.

post-898-0-63776700-1514508200.jpg

Once that was in and painted, I needed some handrails. Styrene square section rod, with some small holes drilled in it, and handrail wire threaded through

post-898-0-02034600-1514508215.jpg

post-898-0-43488200-1514508231.jpg

post-898-0-59401300-1514508251.jpg

I've also added a ladder pinched from a Ratio water tower

Since there are no coal mines in Sodor, and there is no MPD here, I feel like coal traffic would have been incoming to the yard, possibly house coal or for industry in Tidmouth, so it may make more sense to have the hopper loading road vehicles? Not sure.

At the moment I have some NCB wagons to shunt with, but likely going to replace them with BR house coal hoppers.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3