HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Paul to hijack your thread, but I've always been fascinated by the HSB and up until recently had not been. Trouble is, I still can't afford the models.

Get real, Andy. None of us can afford those prices, but some things in life just have to be done. You will not regret whatever sacrifice you have to make.

• Like 1

Get real, Andy. None of us can afford those prices, but some things in life just have to be done. You will not regret whatever sacrifice you have to make.

:offtopic:

Ian, I've already bought 7mm scale models of a Deltic, EE Type 4, 350hp shunter, and a BTH Type 1 using that principle......

Even though my layout is 4mm EM; s'pose that just adds weight to your hypothesis. D'OH.

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

your rebuild SHE-arrangement is the reason why I subscribed this forum. I live in the western Harz Mountains, me and many fellow citizens are angry and confused about politicians inability to give aid money for a re-connection of Braunlage to the HSB-net. Furthermore some hardcore-environmentalists from the national park refuse this project, too.

So it's a pleasure to see our dreams being realized in the UK - in 1:87. I' follow your thread with interest.

Best regards

Jörn

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So it's a pleasure to see our dreams being realized in the UK - in 1:87. I' follow your thread with interest.

Best regards

Jörn

Thanks Jörn, hopefully more progress over the next three months :)

Furthermore some hardcore-environmentalists from the national park refuse this project, too.

Why would they do that, surely people travelling on the trains would reduce pollution?!

Nice part of the world BTW, we stayed there for a week last year!

They do so because actually they want nothing but nature. Since these good-guys took over control of todays Nationalpark area, they scraped many famous and the most beautiful walking trails which have been existing for centuries. But this becomes too political for this forum.

• RMweb Gold

Is that "man made" nature?! ;)

Some of it was nature left to do its thing in the restricted areas, such as the situation on the Brocken, but political swings come and go and closing off areas completely is likely to lose support in the long run as no one can go so they don't understand why ;) The railway does provide a tightly controlled way of seeing it because people can't wander off the track like they inevitably do on trails.

I know there's been some news on the possibility being considered again last May but I've not seen any more so if you have any further updates on the scheme Jörn I'm happy for you to add them here.

• Like 1

I was thinking more that today's European Landscape leaves little to nature but is mainly man-made, so it was a dig at those "nature lovers" who are actually trying to "preserve" a man-made landscape! ;)

• RMweb Gold

24ft of backscene on matt self adhesive vinyl arrived today.
The blue line shows where it will be double sided to give the 'rest of the HSB' yard a bit more interest for the operators. The purple bit is good old single sided backscenes.

post-6968-0-63410500-1516294535_thumb.png

Three 8ft sections
25892019958_f22215c216_b.jpgHOm Süd Harz by -salisburyASC-

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now with the quarry I could hack up some of the shapeways rollwagen and get them to work but on checking the geography the area near Walkenried is actually mined for gypsum products so rather than stone the quarry is going to deal with that. I will still do the rollwagen eventually as they are used for ballast trains on the Harz from the quarry near Eisfelder Tahlmuhle.

So what wagons to use? Currently I'm considering two TT wagons, one is a long hopper with a tilt top so I don't have to load and unload it and seems to be the same size as the HOm coaches so should work ok. The second option is a flat wagon with two 20ft containers that I could hack into stone bins like the RhB ones or even replace with an A frame skip body off a HO lorry. I've ordered one of each to experiment ;)

photos copyright Busch & Tillig

post-6968-0-47512300-1516755880.jpg

On the layout front the track at the join is soldered on so I just need to match the scenery colours then set up the four new boards.

post-6968-0-10701300-1516756239_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

Hello Paul,

for gypsum or other bulk freight transport on sherman narrow gauge railoads, I recommend former BTTB-models of OOt-wagons, like these:

https://www.der-lustige-modellbauer.com/t23793-schuttgutwagen-oot-in-h0e

Similar cars were used until recently in Germany`s lignite mines. However, they require a tipping station (Tiefbunker) and another loading station, if the material shall be transported to further facilities.

Best regards

Jörn

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, how could I miss this thread for so long! I may have to go back for some more detailed reading here and there but what I did read so far was honestly delightful. :yes:

Wonderful job on your layout and I certainly am looking forward to seeing it evolve even further!