621 replies to this topic

#601 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 16 February 2018 - 13:49

Track weathered so time to get it ballasted and the backscenes done.

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG
  • Like x 6

#602 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:13

Ok opinions time :)

In one of the earlier plans I made the fiddleyard double ended so I could have a branch off to the town tram system like I've done at Braunlage. Now I'd forgotten about it but the plan has come full circle in a way and there's room to do it with these boards. It has the advantage of making these four boards usable as a standalone layout too. Does this look too crammed in if I move the shed track back to allow a spur off? I'm thinking of having have a black divider with just a small hole for the train set back from the end of the backscene so the FY / 'rest of the HSB' station isn't in view.

39416565045_4ee0e3d3fa_b.jpgHOm Harz by -salisburyASC-
  • Like x 1

#603 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:35

I'm sure it would work, but do you really want trams at both ends? What if there had been a line from Sorge heading north towards Walkenried? Or, in the 1926 timetable there is a train that terminates at Sorge, and by 1938 that was three a day. I'm sure they must have run to the NWE station to terminate. But suppose they then headed north using that railway before cutting across on a fictional link to Walkenried? So on the layout, a train that disappears to Sorge/Tanne then reappears at Walkenried?

#604 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:09

Well as I haven't actually done trams at Braunlage, I used the Seilbahn push pull instead I'm thinking it might be different or could use the HSB railcars. I don't think I want a second connection to the HSB but I could replace the SG line to Zorge (rather than Sorge) as this map?
https://de.m.wikiped...Braunlage/Tanne

#605 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:24

Well as I haven't actually done trams at Braunlage, I used the Seilbahn push pull instead I'm thinking it might be different or could use the HSB railcars. I don't think I want a second connection to the HSB but I could replace the SG line to Zorge (rather than Sorge) as this map?
https://de.m.wikiped...Braunlage/Tanne

Yes, that makes more sense, and of course I'd got north and south inverted. I just feel that having the train sitting in storage facing Walkenried is too good a chance to miss!

• Thanks x 1

#606 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:31

Thanks Ian, it gives some nice options I just thought I'd ask if others felt it was too contrived ;)
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#607 Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:44

I concur with Ian. You may find the Harz trams from Halling or Hödl, perhaps "pre-loved" on certain auction sites. (choose the German versions, more chance and more realistic prices)

• Thanks x 1

#608 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:05

Good well you've answered the most critical question on the concept. I'll keep thinking about the story ;)

#609 Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:36

I'll have to correct myself: the 3-part Combino trams from Nordhausen are still available from Hödl from new, but unfortunately only unpowered. A drive train (article number: 90530) is available separately. Correct number range of the HSB-capable trams (Combino-DUO) is the 200 series, Hödl has only one on offer: article number: 01021, car 203 in full-ad livery. You could model the transition tramway <=> HSB using a small servo and a suitable decoder, but mind that space inside this model is very, very limited!

HTH!

[edit: this page is a good read (in German!), it shows you could use an ex-Freiburg GT4 car as well to provide some variation on shows. You may want to employ an automated shuttle function to take operating the tramway from your hands. Umelec ATLplus or Lenz decoders would do the job w/o PC control]

Edited by Dutch_Master, 17 February 2018 - 12:59 .

#610 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 14:13

Thanks I've managed to find several in three liveries on ebay once I found they are in the Rietze range :)

Edited by PaulRhB, 17 February 2018 - 14:15 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#611 NGT6 1315

NGT6 1315

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 17 February 2018 - 15:42

Re the Rietze/Hödl Nordhausen Combinos, I understand they’re provided with 16.5 mm wheelsets rather than metre gauge, aren’t they? Just felt I should mention this as it might entail some tweaking in order to get them running. That being said, a Combino Duo would certainly be an eye-catcher! :yes:
  • Agree x 1

#612 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 16:47

Re the Rietze/Hödl Nordhausen Combinos, I understand they’re provided with 16.5 mm wheelsets rather than metre gauge, aren’t they? Just felt I should mention this as it might entail some tweaking in order to get them running. That being said, a Combino Duo would certainly be an eye-catcher! :yes:

Yes I'm quite happy to build a mech if required so not worried about the wheelsets. I haven't found the motorising kit for sale yet but I'll have a look if a home build one might be easy as I have some HOm bogie spares already and can build or regauge a mech to drive it.

Seems to be the 90511 for the Combino 3 unit in HOm

Edited by PaulRhB, 17 February 2018 - 16:52 .

• Like x 1

#613 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 February 2018 - 17:05

Here's the old plan from right back on page 1

post-6968-0-03516100-1420742916_thumb1.jpg

and the current full plan

WK 2017-10 V5-2.jpg

• Like x 5

#614 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 18 February 2018 - 19:27

Walkenried has gained a container crane and engine shed.

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG
  • Like x 4

#615 NGT6 1315

NGT6 1315

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 20:09

Again re the Combino, I noticed a cautionary advice posted on the Hödl site for their N scale Combino, stating that running this model for more than a couple of minutes without interruption might cause bodyshell warping due to motor heat inevitably building up inside the compact body.

I’m not sure how much at risk the H0 versions might be to this kind of damage. I guess choosing a thermally efficient motor, if you will, could be easier in H0, though. Just thought I should point this out to spare you from frustration if you should choose to build your own motor unit. :yes:
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#616 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 18 February 2018 - 20:20

The tram will only shuttle back and forth so shouldn't get too hot anyway even on dcc. Thanks for the info though as I can add a metal heat sink to make sure there's no heat build up.
  • Like x 1

#617 NGT6 1315

NGT6 1315

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 20:39

You might even exploit a peculiarity of the Combino Duo and come up with an arrangement where the motor would be hidden where the diesel engine is on the real thing! Though designing a driveshaft assembly to one of the bogies (fixed independent wheel running gears on the real thing, actually) might be a challenge...

See this file for a description: http://www.trampictu...0v700b852_d.pdf

#618 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 19 February 2018 - 16:19

So with adding a line to Zorge plus the HSB connection at the similarly named Sorge! Here's the revised map.

hsbv2 jb.jpg

and the layout schematic.

Line schematic.jpg

• Like x 3

#619 NGT6 1315

NGT6 1315

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 22:30

I was examining the Halling BVG F6Z Flexity model I have, which is unpowered but probably very similar in concept and design to the Combino model. As most of it is indeed plastic (except for the wheelsets and pan), it’s very lightweight and rolls correspondingly easily. Given that the Combino Duo model is even shorter and will thus be lighter to match, I would assume that no very highly powered motor would be needed for propelling only its own weight. This, I believe, will alleviate the issue of motor heat a lot.

Furthermore, the Combino Duo, while technically suitable for 70 kph, is restricted to the common HSB speed limit of 50 kph, so representing this at scale speed should also make coming up with a suitable mechanism easier. That is, with a view to motor power and torque, as smooth acceleration and running would be a criterion as well.
  • Agree x 1

#620 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 20 February 2018 - 00:38

Covers added to the skips that open up for loading, plus hide whether they are loaded or not ;)
IMG_2922.JPG

Put them on the wagons, two sizes of skips.
IMG_2924.JPG

The wagons need weathering too :)
IMG_2925.JPG
  • Like x 4

#621 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:08

The container loading pad is roughly in, needs a bit of final filling and smoothing, and the crane has a base coat

IMG_2927.JPG
  • Like x 4

#622 PaulRhB

PaulRhB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 21 February 2018 - 20:40

The extra point is in for the Zorge branch, container pad filled and painted and the platforms in too :)

IMG_2942.JPG
  • Like x 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tillig, harz, HSB, harzer, HOm