HSB in the Süd Harz HOm - Calne April 2024.

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

So how about a modular section to Link up with Pauls??

Just because I'm helpful :mail:

1005mm to floor is the baseboard top not including the cork and track ;)

post-6968-0-15705100-1525321760.jpg

:jester:

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. Paul’s carpentry and indeed standards are somewhat above mine! The baseboards I am working on use 60 mm extruded polystyrene, with a glued frame of 1” sq nominal. They sit on folding tables. And getting a board much bigger than about 5’ long from here to anywhere might require a different car!

I will start a layout thread in due course, but things will need to be proved first!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mine are max 4ft long Ian ;) There's just a lot of them and the woodwork really isn't that sophisticated, not all of them have fancy angled ends and it you look closely the joint strengthener on the one at the front here is a simple block!

Here are all eleven boards boxed up.

41228165182_084ff238bb_z.jpgNGSouth by -salisburyASC-

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

You can fit 3 layouts in the back of a hatchback?! ......

Well I can fit three of my other layouts in one ;) but the Harz needs three saloons really or a van and a car :)

How did we survive before really useful plastic storage boxes became available

I believe the same question has been asked about Kleenex.....

And, indeed, sliced bread :mosking:

Edited by leopardml2341

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I've just booked five days in the Harz later in the year :) three days on the lines. On the Brocken a heritage train is running so planning to head up earlier on a service train and photograph rather than ride it. Then all the way to Nordhausen by steam, via the Brocken and finally the Selketal by steam. Only bit we can't do on steam is the Harzgerode branch as the timings are too early in the day.

I assume you still only need to book/ reserve specials on the Brocken not the service trains?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, been a while since I've been to Germany. Hopefully on the first day we are there early enough and I will have time to sort the passes and check the special is running so we can just roll up and ride for three days after that :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few days ago I was talking to Reg. Reg is 82. Why is he interesting in this thread? On Saturday night he was wearing a distinctly German jacket. Green, collarless. Bought in Wernigerode! As, his wife Julia confirms, are all his shirts! Oh - and Reg was once boxboy at a signalbox serving Bristol’s Malago Vale sidings.

• Like 2