Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the process of extending my dcc track and have been addicted by the Peco Pl-80 Power Feed Joiners (which in conjunction with the Express Models DCC Power Bus Kit make installing the DCC bus a solder-free doddle) so placed a bulk website order with Kernow for some PL-80s plus some other Peco track items on Monday.

Within minutes of placing the order got a call from Trevor at Kernow letting me know that they did not have sufficient PL-80s in stock to meet my order.....but that Chris had already been in contact with Peco to include some more PL-80s on their most recent order to Peco. Trevor advised that the Peco order was expected by the end of this week and was I ok with waiting until then for my order to be executed. No problem for me.

On Wednesday, however, received an email from Kernow that all the items had been packed and ready for despatch. Yesterday lunchtime UK Mail delivered the package. That is service!!!!! Many thanks Kernow.

Keith

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered a Beattie Tank and some wagons last year from Kernow. All I can say was I had excellent service and fast delivery. Very helpful staff as well. Hope to order from them again soon. 

do kernow accept paypal?

i cant see any accepted methods of payment at all on the website and i don't want to "checkout" the wagons i'm after until i'm sure!

As far as I know, they don't accept Paypal, as that was how I wanted to pay originally. But this was a year ago, so they may have changed that policy. 

• 3 months later...

High speed Kernow (and couriers!)

I ordered a Thumper by phone at 0950 on Monday 25th November 2013 - yesterday.

At 0930 today Tuesday 26th November, there was a UK Mail (not Royal Mail) gentleman on my doorstep in North Norfolk with a bag in his hand from Kernow!

And at 0940 today, of course I phoned Kernow to congratulate and thank them (after I'd recovered from my surprise  :sungum: )

Probably the fastest moving Thumper to come from Cornwall to Norfolk!

Very well done to all concerned!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order with Kernow last Friday afternoon and received a parcel on Saturday, which, considering it had travelled from Cornwall to Scotland, is absolutely remarkable service, both from Kernow and Royal Mail. Thanks and well done to both !

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have you asked them? A quick call would do it. They are very approachable, I have found!

And we can only hope that this excellent model shop doesn't find its business disastrously affected by the flooding/disrupted rail links.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Sorry to say this will go against the grain of many people, I have just dealt with Greg at KMRC, sorting out my refund for the return of my Heljan 128 Ltd Edition model, and just to say that he was off with me from the start of the conversation, as if returning my model is my fault, more or less being told that 2 x sandboxes adrift could have easily been glued back on, yes they could, but I explained also I was not happy with the model because of the colour issues which have been discussed elsewhere.

Greg's other gripe was the fact I had sent the model back Special Delivery at £11.00, which I hasten to add he told me these costs are passed onto MR, so just to summarise, I have got my money back ? yes, I have got my return postage ? yes, was I dealt with in a courteous and professional manner ? sadly no, 

So in all, this will be my last time I deal with KMRC, and probably the last time I buy a MR Limited Edition.

This post is not to stir up any hornets nest or get into tit for tat posting spats, I just feel that I was dealt with by someone who had a shambolic attitude to me returning a purchased item which is within my rights to do so. I just felt that I needed to give an honest appraisal on this forum about KMRC of how I have just been dealt with, I did receive an apology when I rang back a second time to explain that I was not happy with the manner in which I have just been dealt with.

Shame really because I have had good service from KMRC before, but there are plenty of other Model Shops out there with courteous staff who can have my hard earned cash in the future.

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

It may have been fairer to check first which return method was required; I know there are other retailers who would not have reimbursed to that level. As fulfillment agents KMRC have to work according to agreed guidelines but I do think they're handling matters fairly. I know there's been a couple of other returns regarding the sandbox issue (even if that model supplied shouldn't have had them fitted) but as this was the first livery dissatisfaction return Greg wasn't initially aware of the issue.

KMRC do have a very strong reputation with RMweb readers and I'm sure they wouldn't wish this case (which you've obviously been somewhat strident about even though it's outside their area of responsibility) to cloud further dealings.

The problem is that KMRC are taking all the flak on this issue - MR simply aren't responding. It wouldn't surprise me if this is making KMRC's staff feeling pretty grumpy about it. I've not had any problems in the past with them.

RWJ

It may have been fairer to check first which return method was required; I know there are other retailers who would not have reimbursed to that level. As fulfillment agents KMRC have to work according to agreed guidelines but I do think they're handling matters fairly. I know there's been a couple of other returns regarding the sandbox issue (even if that model supplied shouldn't have had them fitted) but as this was the first livery dissatisfaction return Greg wasn't initially aware of the issue.

KMRC do have a very strong reputation with RMweb readers and I'm sure they wouldn't wish this case (which you've obviously been somewhat strident about even though it's outside their area of responsibility) to cloud further dealings.

Andy, my post is not about the quality issues of the model, it is about the service and the manner in which I was treated with by Greg.

Obviously some people within the Railway Modelling Supplier, Retail & Editorial ranks on this forum gets a bit touchy with any constructive criticism, and do not seem to engage in constructive discussion, yes I can understand when the threads are locked because of outright abuse, and that is where the power of moderation steps in.

I have been complimentary about many model shops on the forum, and I have been complimentary about KMRC verbally with other modellers, but the way I was treated by Greg today was pretty poor, may be he got out the bed on the wrong side this morning, but it is still no excuse to speak to me the way he did. I telephoned KMRC at dinner time, and I was polite and courteous in my approach, a shame this was not reciprocated form the other end of the phone. 

I run a garage, dealing with the Public day in day out, and if I dealt with them in this way, they would choose to shop elsewhere, and let people know of any poor service, so if you do treat your paying customers this way, please do not expect them to say nothing.

Yes KMRC do give good service, but not in the instance.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

This post is not to stir up any hornets nest or get into tit for tat posting spats,

You've stated your opinion; I've given a response so I don't see the need for the subsequent posting. Let's leave it there please.

The problem is that KMRC are taking all the flak on this issue - MR simply aren't responding. It wouldn't surprise me if this is making KMRC's staff feeling pretty grumpy about it. I've not had any problems in the past with them.

RWJ

I am getting sick of your constant harping on about lack of response from MR. I responded repeatedly to your comments under the MR thread until that eventually had to be locked. I have had the Model Rail @ bauer e-mails checked (it had not been monitored recently due to staff shortage) but there is no e-mail on there regarding the Class 128. I have told you that I am currently the only person dealing with RMweb and Facebook matters and I have explained how to get your money refunded. KMRC staff are not grumpy. I have exchanged e-mails with them today and they are fine. I have advised them to expect the return of your model for a refund in due course.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Forgetting the 128, I order a small pile of there N gauge clay wagons and a very well wrapped and packed parcel arrived 24 hrs later. Great service and packing protection way in advance of some suppliers.

I remember when we were down there a number of years ago on holiday, they did recognise me due to the name on my card as up till the point they put the current website in they were the main supplier I used. Only reason they are not my shop of choice is because I can pop to Alton Model Centre from work and that means I get to browse. :-)

• RMweb Premium

I deal online with a number of UK shops throughout every year - not all related in any way to this hobby - and visit in person when I'm in the country which is perhaps once in 18 months.  Kernow MRC is the only one where I am invariably greeted by name even though they haven't seen me for all of that time.

It is also the only one where till receipts are included in the packaging and a nice touch is the personal signature of the serving staff member with a little hand-written note of thanks as well.

I doubt florists and clothing retailers (as examples) frequent these pages but they could learn something to their advantage from Kernow MRC's approach to customer service.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Another Model  shop  which   sends personalized  notes on  his   till/creditcard/ order detail sheets  is  Arcadia Models  Shaw Nr Oldham,  for  a  small business this shop  always  has  a  tremendous range of  products available at keen  prices  UK  and  European outline.