The Hobby Shop, Faversham

Jack

Thought I'd just mention this shop tucked away in West Street, Faversham.

Its been my local since it opened over 20 years ago. Good service and competitive prices. Harvey's fair on the postage as well, including BFPO ... something of a rarity by all accounts.

Hasn't had much luck getting Heljan stuff, but the other main manufacturers are well represented and he does a good line in other useful 'bits'. Also very good for the continental stuff.

The link is here if your interested.

• RMweb Gold

The HobbyShop is my local store as well - just 25 miles away cross-country on the A260 and A2. Since Mark retired his son, Harvey, has been running the shop single-handed.....and I don't know how he manages it!! Endorse fully all the comments made above....

Try to get over there once a month - next visit is planned for Saturday followed by a drive further up the A2 to Teynham to attend the G Scale Society Kent Group's "Big Winter Meet".

Keith

• 7 months later...

Just to confirm, the link given by Jack is working fine - it's definitely .com ( .co.uk gives something else)

Site is bang up to date, the first illustration I found was the very recently-announced EFE 36ft East Kent saloon. (That's a bus, by the way:rolleyes:

Richard

• 5 months later...

More good service from the Hobby Shop recently.

It's always worth supporting your local ... all i need to do now is getting him to stock some real ale ...

A regular port of call for me whilst living in Kent......

The Shepherd Neame brewery is only a short stagger away ;)

I've made a couple of orders to NZ with them, and overall their service is excellent. However, using the website, the initial payment includes VAT, which is then refunded after postage is calculated- with international card fees, this adds a little to the cost. I'm sure if I emailed them I could arrange to make final payment of the actual total excluding VAT, but I don't like putting credit card details in email. The cost of a phone call to the UK would probably eat up the small amount in CC fees, so I don't let it put me off unduly, especially given that some of their prices are lower than lokshop.

Seeing this shop on here reminded me. When i was working i used to visit Faversham on a regular basis, walking through the town trying to find a cafe i came across this shop. What a wonderful little place, prices were always fair, and customer service excellent. Shop with confidence.

• 9 months later...

Well after reading this thread a little while back i took a drive to the Shop today

Harvey was very polite and made me feel welcomed i also come away with NSE Train.

also being there for the 1st time its a very nice location and town in my view

all the best from Steve

also being there for the 1st time its a very nice location and town in my view

The Hobby Shop is definitly worth the trip if you are in the area ... I can also recommend the Bear pub just round the corner in the Market square :)

• 1 year later...

I didn't know about this shop until a few days ago but have found their prices competitive so planned to put my first order in for my new layout shortly. 

However, I have just noticed they have 10% discount off everything online until tomorrow morning (Tuesday 20th August 2013) so will order today!

With the demise of Modelzone in Maidstone, the Signal Box in Rochester, and the model shop at Notcutts garden centre, is this the only model shop in mid Kent now ? 

I don't know about Mid Kent but the Signal Box people have just opened a new shop in 'North Kent' near Sidcup station.

Ah nice site. Don't have a site myself - too involved with forecasting over the years to be that enthusiastic. However there is an excellent site up the road from me by a chap I know in Buxton Norfolk and who has an extensive site (classic frost hollow though so some chilly nights reported over the years).

http://www.buxton-weather.co.uk/weather.htm#latest

Ah nice site. Don't have a site myself - too involved with forecasting over the years to be that enthusiastic. However there is an excellent site up the road from me by a chap I know in Buxton Norfolk and who has an extensive site (classic frost hollow though so some chilly nights reported over the years).

http://www.buxton-weather.co.uk/weather.htm#latest

Oh to have the time to produce a site like that !  I intend to upgrade my site but it will have to wait until railway is up and running.

I don't know about Mid Kent but the Signal Box people have just opened a new shop in 'North Kent' near Sidcup station.

Many thanks for this.  Their web site seems to be up and running too, and their prices are good as well, like 'Signal Box' prices.  I notice also that they're booked to appear at a number of exhibitions allready, possibly taking over Signal Box bookings ?,