The Hobby Shop, Faversham

Jack

• 2 months later...

I had a bunch of stuff from the Hobby Shop this week.  There is a 10% anniversary sale on atm.  Given the prices are already competitve it does make for some very tempting offers.

Personnally walked away with 2 GWR hawksworth BCKs (the Royal Ones).  One is staying GWR, the other is going to be WR Choc/Cream. :)

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Something strange here, have never had Annie answer the phone when I'ved called let alone meet her during my monthly visits to Faversham.

There was a Mark in the shop but he retired a few years ago and his son, Harvey, now runs the shop on his own - answering the phone, dealing with shop customers, running the website, packing all the parcels etc.

To be honest I don't know how he does it all by himself. Maybe there is an Annie lurking upstairs............

Keith  

• 7 months later...

Top service from a family run shop, my R3202 was extremely well packaged and the service over the telephone was very polite and customer orientated, pity though about their choice of courier company, UK Mail who failed as promised on their e-mail to give a pre delivery call with the one hour window delivery, as a result I missed the drop.

When I spoke to their call centre they said that the wrong item (Hornby Models Consignment) had been subject of a failed delivery to my address, I queried this and was told that my item was still in transit and would be delivered that afternoon, the call handler stated that I would receive a call-back that afternoon giving me more information about the delivery time slot, surprise, surprise no return phone call received. I made four further phone calls to UK Mail call centre which on average it took between 20-30 minutes to answer my call, I was later advised that the package would be delivered and again sent out from the depot to be delivered before 8pm, guess what another no show and a complete waste of an afternoon and evening.

Again spoke to UK Mail call centre this morning who were very unhelpful, I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that there was none on duty and that I would again have to wait in with no estimated delivery time, apparently once the driver has left the depot he has no contact with his base which i find incredible in this day and age and find very hard to believe. I eventually received my package at 12noon today with no apology or subsequent return call from UK Mail customer services, this courier company are by far the worst I have ever encountered, totally incompetent with an appaling attitude and complete lack of customer service.

I would definately buy items from the Hobby shop again but only on the proviso that it was handled by the Post Office or the likes of Interlink or TNT.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Digital

Just had my first order.

A small part of my order was missing.

Rang the shop and a very polite Gentleman was very helpful and popped the item in the post for me. Received next day.

Excellent First class customer service.

Thank you

John

• 2 months later...

Placed an order for two Dapol hia's at an excellent price and received them the next day.

Very pleased with the customer service from Harvey. Recommended to anyone passing Faversham and worth a look at their Mad March special offers online.

Chris

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Three thumbs up from me for this shop. I'd never used it until recently but I have had a strange urge to dabble in Italian railways recently and I found that the Hobby Shop has a good selection of ACME, Rivarossi and other Italian models. And at excellent prices. I ordered an ACME FS Rapido 905 train pack and an additional coach pack for the set and it was significantly cheaper than any where elese I could find with the model in stock. And the postage was a lot cheaper than buying from Germany or Italy too. Arrived very well packed very quickly. They had the LE ETR220 models and I again found that their price was well below anywhere else I could find plus cheaper postage. Next day dispatch, they are a shop I'd recommend 100% based on a great selection of models, great prices and great service. Top stuff all around.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Popped into the new and expanded Hobby Shop last week.  It has moved round the corner into Preston Street into larger premises.  It makes a lot more sense as the new shop is so much more spacious and easier to manage.  More toys can now be out on the shelves rather than squirreled in corners.

Just need to get Harvey to buid a test track now he has the space :)

• Like 1

Popped into the new and expanded Hobby Shop last week.  It has moved round the corner into Preston Street into larger premises.  It makes a lot more sense as the new shop is so much more spacious and easier to manage.  More toys can now be out on the shelves rather than squirreled in corners.

Just need to get Harvey to buid a test track now he has the space :)

Many thanks for that! I am planning to call in there during December, and I would have had a shock..... The pics of the new shop look much more spacious, and I will not have to go on a diet to squeeze around it. It is also a bit nearer the station. Was the shop always where it was before? I have vague memories of it being much nearer the station going back to the 1980's? Or is my memory playing tricks? I have ordered, or gone in to buy, so much from him over the years, from locos, wagons, Peco Code 75 and 83 through to 32mm garden track. The service has always been fantastic.

I started to use him, and continue to do so, because he retains a High Street presence, which I think is so important for the hobby. The same is true of Monk Bar at York, but they don't always stock the stuff I need. I have stopped using Hattons since they left Penny Lane. There is another model shop in Kent, in Ramsgate (Ramsgate Models), but I think he has virtually given up on model railways, having reduced his stock to next to nothing over the years.

Just ordered a load of Brio, for my grandson, from Harvey - best range I have seen in multiple searches. Incredible!

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1

ah, for me it has to be Furlong’s Ale House:

https://furlongsfaversham.wordpress.com/

excellent ales.

cheers,

Keith

Keith, you will be pleased to know that Harvey's new shop is directly opposite Furlongs!

I have suggested to Mrs Unicorn that a day trip to Faversham by train should be made soon........

Les

• Like 2

. There is another model shop in Kent, in Ramsgate (Ramsgate Models), but I think he has virtually given up on model railways, having reduced his stock to next to nothing over the years.

Just ordered a load of Brio, for my grandson, from Harvey - best range I have seen in multiple searches. Incredible!

There is also Ashford Model Supplies - they stock a lot of OO British outline, as well as a good range of tools and raw materials. And they're not far from the tunnel.

Les

• Like 1

Was the shop always where it was before? I have vague memories of it being much nearer the station going back to the 1980's? Or is my memory playing tricks?

Harvey’s dad started the old shop in the late 80s i think, in West Street. In the early 80s there was a shop on the corner opposite the Swan ... I think it was where the picture framing place is now. Nothing to do with Harvey and his dad, and there was a gap of a few years when Faversham didn’t have a model shop ... but that was in the days when Sittingbourn had two!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still providing good service and prices. Have had a few things from the Hobby Shop, they reserved me the Hornby Visitor Centre Javelin until the extra coaches arrived and both shipped promptly. Very pleased.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Just a heads up for the Hobby Shop in Faversham, their March Madness sale is now on - bargains on some continental items, plus there's a Dapol Dynamometer car currently at £107 -  the prices drop by 10% per day, so as they say 'when they're gone they're gone'.

Les

Edited by Unicorn1
spellin
  • Like 2

• SteveCole pinned and unpinned this topic