Class 143 Arriva Trains Wales Project

charliepetty

Information on liveries have been finalised, these are:

143-211 Class 143 Arriva Trains Wales 'Aquamarine-Cream Livery' 143609  (55650-55675) Route blinds are: Penarth - Bargoed.

143-212 Class 143 Arriva Trains Wales 'Aquamarine-Cream Livery' 143610  (55643-55676) Route blinds are: Aberdare - Bridgend

Correct Seating layout which is different too the 144's, modified chassis & buffer beam units, as 143s are not the same as 144s.

8Pin DCC Ready as standard, DCC Fitted units & DCC Sound Fitted units with passengers also planned.

• Like 4

keen for these.

Just out of interest, have you ever thought of doing a weathered option?

Matt

Check with Lord & Butler as he does weathering!   many others do too,

This model is a very limited edition of 250 each with a possible batch 12 months later with different running numbers but the same livery, depends on sales of Arriva TW.

Any news on the FGW ones?

Hopefully with Exeter area destinations, they have been allocated to and used around there for a few years now and dont go anywhere near Bristol (or Severn Beach).

(Not so) subtly hint. ;-)

The Exeter based 143s spend most of their time on the triangle of doom, Exmouth, Paignton and Barnstaple, of these Exmouth and Paignton are the 2 most common destinations. There are also Exeter (obviously) and St James Park (a couple of trips a day) which could be used.

143s have been to Plymouth when replacing other stock (including HSTs) but it isnt a normal/ every day destination for them, the only time they go to Bristol is so they can go on the wheel lathe there (they have been quite a lot lately) but dont work in passenger service as Bristol Conductors dont sign them any more, the drivers do but only really for ECS moves on and off St Philips Marsh Depot.

I will still be buying both FGW ones anyway but Exeter area destinations would be very nice, pretty pretty please with bells on.

The Exeter based 143s spend most of their time on the triangle of doom, Exmouth, Paignton and Barnstaple, of these Exmouth and Paignton are the 2 most common destinations. There are also Exeter (obviously) and St James Park (a couple of trips a day) which could be used.

143s have been to Plymouth when replacing other stock (including HSTs) but it isnt a normal/ every day destination for them, the only time they go to Bristol is so they can go on the wheel lathe there (they have been quite a lot lately) but dont work in passenger service as Bristol Conductors dont sign them any more, the drivers do but only really for ECS moves on and off St Philips Marsh Depot.

I will still be buying both FGW ones anyway but Exeter area destinations would be very nice, pretty pretty please with bells on.

They also ran to Cardiff, so don,t want to leave the Bristol lads out!

post-3411-0-85519300-1388310905_thumb.jpg

They did, quite often in fact!

6274004432_de1fdbe697.jpg
143611 Cardiff by robfrowen, on Flickr

I once caught a late evening Bristol TM to Cardiff Central service.

11621750616_fb2af8a998.jpg

11621347194_9223f301a5.jpg

At Severn Beach and Crediton

11621199913_ccb20134fd.jpg

11621208663_53f49aa3e4.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A few years back FGW had a diagram which took a 143 from Exeter St Davids, departing about 0935, all the way to Cardiff Central stopping at pretty much every station with a return working in the afternoon. The up service is now a through train from Penzance, departing 0600, and is usually booked a 150.

Dale 

They did used to run around Bristol but for the last few years have been solely allocated to Exeter and only worked in the Exeter area except when running empty to Bristol for tyre turning, they are very rare at Bristol in passenger service.

Edited by royaloak

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully with Exeter area destinations, they have been allocated to and used around there for a few years now and dont go anywhere near Bristol (or Severn Beach).

(Not so) subtly hint. ;-)

Yes agree with Royal Oak ..   Exmouth - Paignton destinations would be more appropriate for the current use of this class   :-)  def have one (maybe 2) of these      :no:

• RMweb Premium

Godfrey,

Yes they do run to Barnstaple, often in pairs even during off peak hours!

Under Wessex trains they were not permitted up the Barnstaple Branch but then they Bristol based and didn't venture beyond Taunton all that often. Having said that also under Wessex trains one 143 did make it all the way to Penzance, I think having started from Bristol, where it gained a Kernow flag car sticker on one cab which remained for a few years possible up until it was refurbished

Also (off topic slightly) but it appears 142001 still carries it Devon sticker on one end in service with Northern!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I travelled from Exmouth to Exeter St Davids on 143611 and 143619 this morning, when I got off I looked at the blinds on the two coupled cabs in the middle of the train.

619 has a black blind with yellow/off white text that was showing Exeter St Davids.

611 has a white blind with black text which some comedian had wound to Crewe!

Said service was continuing on to Paignton

I travelled from Exmouth to Exeter St Davids on 143611 and 143619 this morning, when I got off I looked at the blinds on the two coupled cabs in the middle of the train.

619 has a black blind with yellow/off white text that was showing Exeter St Davids.

611 has a white blind with black text which some comedian had wound to Crewe!

Said service was continuing on to Paignton

Is it possible that any comments re the First Great Westerns Class 143s could be put into the FGW 143 section please.    TA Charlie

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...