Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

Just looking at BR days, the variety of stock that could be found there was amazing.

Just off the top of my head I can recall seeing examples of classes 08, 17, 23, 24, 28, 31, 33, 35, 42, 46, 47, 55, 56, 58, 59, 60, 87, 89, 90, 91. Plus APT-E, bits of APT-P, the prototype HST and Kestrel.

Poor Old Bruce (above) will know the place like the back of his hand, so can greatly add to my list.

You missed out (at least) 03, 20, 25, 27, 45 (how did you miss that one?) Baby Deltic, Production HST and the Electric Load Bank plus umpteen DMUs and a few steam engines (bearing in mind I haven't seen the place for nearly 12 years).

• RMweb Premium

Recent photo research throws up FGW 57/6 and EMT 158's to add to my fleet. (Hoping that the revamped Bachy 158 will be ready by September 2015)

Recent visitors have been a preserved 45 - it may still be there, and a Tata liveried 20.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Recent photo research throws up FGW 57/6 and EMT 158's to add to my fleet. (Hoping that the revamped Bachy 158 will be ready by September 2015)

Recent visitors have been a preserved 45 - it may still be there, and a Tata liveried 20.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Hasn't a certain Maroon Western recently been close enough to your chosen location to at least be in with a shout of a run past on the mainline??!!

Looking forward to seeing your plans develop.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Hasn't a certain Maroon Western recently been close enough to your chosen location to at least be in with a shout of a run past on the mainline??!!

Looking forward to seeing your plans develop.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

I can pretty much run anything on the mainline, although will initially be limited to length of storage yards and ease of reversing the train, as I'm considering an automatic shuttle on the mainline. This will be in auto when not required to shift stuff in and out of the depot.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been very busy this evening with Deadman's Lane and Springfield . Wifey is away for a few days and I've taken over the conservatory as my baseboard workshop, so I'm making the most of it.

These are the end panels with alignment dowels in place, ready to be screwed in. They should all be the same. but they are being made in pairs and suitably marked so that I don't mix them up.

post-408-0-28211600-1389308322_thumb.jpg

I've also been doing lots of photo research over the last couple of days and stumbled across a flickr site of someone that has good access to the RVEL site

This is a link to his pics at or near Derby RTC. Much detail inspiration within the site confines.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

Time for some power tool action.........................

Edit: Especially as it now has a provisional exhibition booking.............

Cheers,

Mick

Not a provisional booking, A definite booking at Blackburn Show on September 6th/7th 2014. Hopefully a debut showing of what is going to be a superb layout.

• RMweb Premium

Not a provisional booking, A definite booking at Blackburn Show on September 6th/7th 2014. Hopefully a debut showing of what is going to be a superb layout. 

I said it'll be ready for 2015....

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Excuse the tip in the kitchen - after all, SWMBO is away for a few days......

I clamped the three main scenic boards together tonight.

post-408-0-32429500-1389398682_thumb.jpg

As previously mentioned, the site is relatively flat and the only negative elevation will be the inspection pits within the sheds. (Peco LK156 pits). The main line across the front will rise slightly.

So there's no need for any fancy joinery, which fits in nicely with my average woodworking skills.

The baseboards are 9mm ply sides, with 12mm ends for a bit more stiffness and corner pieces of 1 1/4" square softwood - I will add an extra cross piece inside the end to minimise any risk of bowing. Cross pieces will be added at approximately 1/3 and 2/3 positions along the length and the exact position will be determined when I overlay the intended plan on the top boards.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Mick your good lady will kill you if you leave the tidy up session till the last minute. :superman:

Last minute is best, so I can have more time building!

Cheers,

Mick

I've been very busy this evening with Deadman's Lane and Springfield . Wifey is away for a few days and I've taken over the conservatory as my baseboard workshop, so I'm making the most of it.

These are the end panels with alignment dowels in place, ready to be screwed in. They should all be the same. but they are being made in pairs and suitably marked so that I don't mix them up.

attachicon.gifDSC_0509.JPG

I've also been doing lots of photo research over the last couple of days and stumbled across a flickr site of someone that has good access to the RVEL site

This is a link to his pics at or near Derby RTC. Much detail inspiration within the site confines.

Cheers,

Mick

That's a cracking selection of Pics Mick, as you say, ANYTHING will go and be right.

More pics please,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I've spent this afternoon and evening fitting the clips between boards and extra bracing across the ends. Although my wife is away, I'm getting grief from SWMBO junior for taking up space in the kitchen.

However, I'm now at a point at which I can easily assemble (or disassemble) 1, 2 or 3 boards as required - cluttering up as necessary!

Pics soon

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I've spent this afternoon and evening fitting the clips between boards and extra bracing across the ends. Although my wife is away, I'm getting grief from SWMBO junior for taking up space in the kitchen.

However, I'm now at a point at which I can easily assemble (or disassemble) 1, 2 or 3 boards as required - cluttering up as necessary!

Pics soon

Cheers,

Mick

Obviously, you've clearly explained the principles of a weekend possession for engineering work?

• RMweb Premium

Pics soon

Cheers,

Mick

Two boards assembled and clipped together in less than a minute.

Pic as promised.

post-408-0-26895000-1389481680_thumb.jpg

The main end piece is 12mm ply with a 9mm ply stiffener screwed to the corner blocks. I've also added an extra block in the middle to minimise any warping.

I obtained the clips many years ago, I think from the RS catalogue. Not cheap, but very good. These were recycled from the boards I dismantled a few days ago.

As it's a portable layout, I want as much stability as possible at the board joints and this is where most effort is going in to make it reliable. If (and it's a big if) I have any problems with end warping, I'll drill through the central block and reinforce the joint with a bolt. Employing a bit of foresight, I'll drill through at this point - just in case - as it's easier whilst the baseboards tops aren't on

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Are they plywood extensions to the saw horse supports I see there?

Yes - simply screwed into the plastic saw horse. We use the same on Blackmill. These were some I had spare from the previous layout projects. I may continue to use them, or look at something similar to the "table" that is described on the Hinksey Yard thread.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Playtime.

I clipped the three scenic boards together and placed the tops on loosely so I could overlay the trackplan and work out where my intermediate cross supports would go. Ideally, I want them at 1/3 and 2/3 positions, but will ultimately depend on point motors. It also gives me a chance to see what the plan looks like with a few items of stock on and what clearances I've got for shunting. Much more fun that drawing diagrams on a PC!

Having looked at more photographs of the site, I was considering altering the access to/from the main line, removing the last point and associated siding to create a better looking "lead in" to the depot.

This is visible in the photo below, where the bolder lines are at the lower left.

post-408-0-88641400-1389573899_thumb.jpg

The removed siding is marked with hatched lines.

I've also moved one of the slips to make the run-round loop a bit longer. There is another run-round available, but this is mostly off scene.

post-408-0-31203100-1389574004_thumb.jpg

And finally, to give a sense of scale,  the box is the approximate front face of the main EDU building. The overlaid track is just to see how a curved point fits within the plan.

post-408-0-01477100-1389574091_thumb.jpg

As it turns out, 5 of the 6 cross pieces easily fit at 1/3 and 2/3 spaces, the other one just needs moving about 2" to give me good clearance from any point motors.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All the cross pieces have been fitted - as it turns out, I didn't need to move any of them - they're fitted at 1/3 and 2/3 positions.

Baseboard tops need to go on next and I'll have a run at this Weds night before I have to tidy up for SWMBO coming home Thursday........... Hopefully pics later.

I've even pre-ordered  the first item of stock for the layout - a EMT liveried 158. Not only can I use this on the main line, but within the depot confines as well. (flickr pic)

158852 Derby RTC 26-8-2013

Other ideas I'm already kicking around for the future - how to make the roller shutter doors work. I've been discussing various methods with SteveatBax - the man behind the signals on Liverpool Lime St.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford