Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Guest Q663389

Minerva 7788 is more or less completed and ready for service. This is the engine that has been fitted with the Protocab trackless control system. Number-plates are from Narrow Planet and the lamp is by ModelU. The main task remaining is to paint and install the crew from ModelU. I have attached a copy of Bill Potter's photo of the prototype 7788 at Ashchurch in 1961, which was the inspiration for my model.

There is also a nice pic of this loco (three quarter right rear view) in BR Steam in Dean, page 43. (Lightmoor Press).

Fabulous photography by Ben Ashworth. High praise indeed from this BR North Eastern fan.

Regards

Alan

Edited by Q663389

Industrial South Wales in a picture!

I like Chris's model, but it is not grey/brown enough to be what I remember.  There was a great article in MRJ about how to tone down colour as our perception of colour changes as a result of the air through which we see it and the distance.  Growing up in the Sirhowy valley/Aberbargoed I remember dirt, greys, the odd splash of red - as it stood out, grime over everything - remember the clothes coming back from the line covered in smuts because the coke works had been operating?  capturing colour is difficult.  

It is good to note the increasing number of South/Mid Wales layouts that are appearing.  The North Gwent Modellers ploughed a lonely furrow for some time with their layouts based around Bleanavon.  Good to see people being captivated by layouts with good operational interest.

regards

• Like 2

Here is the actual colour of the river on Cwm Bach. The colour in the previous photo was caused by a rare burst of sunlight through a window reflecting of the water's surface.

Hello Chris

Please don't take my comment as criticism. I like your model a lot. It is far better executed than anything I have created.

I think it has something to do with memory. There was a picture in. november's backtrack of Groesfan colliery. The dead bracken, coal tips and general malaise and neglect reminded me of home in wintertime. Not a black and white movie more, brown and dull reds.

Regards.

Guest Q663389

3753 waits for the board to return down the valley after delivering an unbalanced working of empty mineral wagons for Cwm Bach colliery.

Nice Brake Van

• RMweb Premium

Post nationalisation, brake vans with access at both ends became more common on WR lines. All new build was that type, so certainly after a few years in South Wales, there was more chance of one of these than an old GWR one. A yard would be happy to grab whatever was on offer, as they were usually short of brake vans. ( Broken windows and stoves from vandalism, smashed stepboards from shunting incidents, besides the usual wagon ailments)

How about a Ted Class 14

I tried making the DJH Class 14 kit a few years ago. Nice chassis, but utterly hopeless, very crudely cast superstructure. Somewhere on RMWeb is a forum I created describing the build up until my frustration got the better of me and I sold it.

• RMweb Gold

I tried making the DJH Class 14 kit a few years ago. Nice chassis, but utterly hopeless, very crudely cast superstructure. Somewhere on RMWeb is a forum I created describing the build up until my frustration got the better of me and I sold it.

Enter the first Minerva Models diseasel........

You'll be getting one of the Little Loco Class 22's then

Paul R

Steve Leathers knows I shall want an all green with discs and a blue with full yellow ends. I was brought up on Western Region hydraulics in Bristol and remember a holiday in St Austell in 1970 when we stayed in a B&B on Ranelagh Road that backed onto the GWR mainline. I copped a lot of the surviving Class 22s as well as Warships and Westerns during that fortnight.

• Like 5

Steve Leathers knows I shall want an all green with discs and a blue with full yellow ends and a blue with full yellow ends. I was brought up on Western Region hydraulics in Bristol and remember a holiday in St Austell in 1970 when we stayed in a B&B on Ranelagh Road that backed onto the GWR mainline. I copped a lot of the surviving Class 22s as well as Warships and Westerns during that fortnight.

Looking forward to seeing those on the layout!

Paul R