2014 RMweb Challenge - A bit of perspective

Andy Y

I'd like to put forward something a little different this year for a challenge which can inclusive to different approaches and levels of ability.

The general challenge

To produce a model which makes use of different or variable scales to give an increased perception of depth to the model or scene. The model can be a working layout through to a static diorama but must include different or variable scale. There are no size limits within this general category.

The picture challenge

To produce a scene or working diorama within the context of a framed picture (with or without off-scene fiddles etc) to a maximum of 4' width, 2' height and 1' depth with a presentation frame around the defined scene with boxed edges, top and base.

Before anyone else chucks it in here's a simple explanation of perspective....

Entries

To enter a topic should be created within this area of RMweb recording the design and modelling of the project. Completed entries will be invited to post a summary topic after the closing date of 31st July 2014. The scene should be new with the significant work taking place in the duration of the challenge. Multiple entries are permissible.

Judging

The winner(s) will be determined by a membership vote after the closing date. Winner(s) and selected entries may be invited to show at the RMweb Live event at Coventry on 13/14 September.

Perspective modelling is not new and Jack Nelson showed how effective it could be many many years ago, we still see it in the craftsmanship of Paul Bambrick's dioramas and backscenes and even Stubby47 has used it in previous challenge entries but I thought it worth tackling with modern techniques and materials and forcing people to model (and think) how it can used to good effect. One of the most popular exhibits at last year's Warley Show was the working scene by Modelspoorgroep Valkenswaard of B.A.Bodil's garage with gauges from G to Z in one scene with the railbus snaking from the foreground to the backscene.

BABodil.jpg

Question 1: With a 4' x 1' base, can the diorama be viewed from the end ?

Hmm; the first answer would be yes but it would present a possible problem in displaying an entry in the form I'd anticipated but that's not the be all and end all of it; your enjoyment is the prime consideration. Maybe you could do more than one? ;)

• RMweb Gold

The reason for the question is to get a sense of perspective, 1' deep is not very much, and across a 4' width it will be harder to maintain the perspective from multiple viewing points.

From a 1' width, and 4' depth, both of these issues are lessened.

The reason for the question is to get a sense of perspective, 1' deep is not very much, and across a 4' width it will be harder to maintain the perspective from multiple viewing points.

How about dropping the set dimensions and simply going for four square feet?

I think you are confusing the twi different categories...

By my reading there is no requirement for forced perspective in the 4x1 area 'Picture Frame' and no size limit for the perspective chalenge.

The general challenge

To produce a model which makes use of different or variable scales to give an increased perception of depth to the model or scene. The model can be a working layout through to a static diorama but must include different or variable scale. There are no size limits within this general category.

The picture challenge

To produce a scene or working diorama within the context of a framed picture (with or without off-scene fiddles etc) to a maximum of 4' width, 2' height and 1' depth with a presentation frame around the defined scene with boxed edges, top and base.

I think you are confusing the twi different categories...

By my reading there is no requirement for forced perspective in the 4x1 area 'Picture Frame.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, both categories are for perspective modelling.

• RMweb Gold

We should have known you wouldn't want a bog standard approach......  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Ahhhhhhh.

There are TWO challenges..... Sorry, I missed that - i thought the perspective and the picture frame were all part of the rules for the same challenge.

Right, back to musing....

I'm not feeling very excited about this one for myself, BUT am very interested to see what others come up with. We have some very creative people here and some of them are already looking interested!

Stubby, how about a version of that Dutch layout featuring an underground railway and a sewer?

A viaduct is an interesting subject that can be modelled in a small area. The black and white picture shows my 4' x 2' N gauge Corfe Viaduct layout under construction and displayed by Swanage Turntable in the 1970s. The colour picture shows the viaduct and the backscene. The area of the displayed area of the layout is 4' wide x 1' deep x 1' high. Perspective was achieved by cutting out a picture of Corfe Castle from a magazine.

post-17621-0-56789300-1388649461_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-34883400-1388649629_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Heres one I did earlier!

Badgers Oak from Abbotswood Junction - 1/76 - with perspective given by 1:1 background scenery

post-7138-0-53666900-1388730803.jpg

We cheat in the same way with background greenery when filming Abbotswood outdoors

Cheers

Phil

Edited to eliminate precipitous hedge lines!

I never did get the question answered, I have a couple of ideas that are railway related but how much flexibility are we allowed with the subject matter?

I quite like the idea of taking a slightly more artistic approach and going for a one/two point perspective rather than the approach some others are taking, is this allowable?

I never did get the question answered, I have a couple of ideas that are railway related but how much flexibility are we allowed with the subject matter?

I quite like the idea of taking a slightly more artistic approach and going for a one/two point perspective rather than the approach some others are taking, is this allowable?

I can't see why not (says he with a worried look).

• 1 month later...

Archived