2014 RMweb Challenge - A bit of perspective

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The picture challenge

To produce a scene or working diorama within the context of a framed picture (with or without off-scene fiddles etc) to a maximum of 4' width, 2' height and 1' depth with a presentation frame around the defined scene with boxed edges, top and base.

I really ought to try for this. I like perspective modelling when I seen it, and I've got an Ikea APA box unused from a project I drew up and never started. I also seem to have a collection of models in different scales! So ...

1) Do these dimensions specify the "maximum modelled volume" or the volume of the whole thing, including its fascia/frame and fiddle yard?

2) Can an electric cable (for example, for lighting or control) protrude from one of the four sides, or must it be from the front, or must the thing run on internal batteries or whatever with no external connectivity?

3) Can the model be designed to be only hung from a wall (e.g. glass plates), or must it have feet to stand on a table?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

- Richard.

• 3 months later...

I've only just spotted this thread after one of my Youtube subscribers told me about it.

Mind you I made my layout in just 5 days (last week) after your deadline, so no good anyway for the comp.

But here if one of the 'Tumby Woodside' videos if anyone is interested:

It is 6ft x 40in (30in decorated). I use N gauge and two 00 gauge loops. It was fun to do. I used Photoshop to distort the background to a vanishing point. Graded my trees in size. I was even considering having an 0 gauge pass in front of the camera one day. I'm still doing small bits on it now. 

Archived