Peak 45015

Mikeym

How bizarre.

I was literally just chatting to a mate in the hope of popping down on Friday to take a few pictures of this unique machine, (only survivor of the first batch fitted with split boxes and nose doors).

I thought I'd try to get pictures sooner rather than later as I'm sure she won't last much longer before falling apart at the seams. It's a really sad "preservation" project and it would be so nice if she could be saved/restored using other Sulzer parts if they're available.

Does anyone know how accessiable she is for a picture? Seems to be stabled quite near an overbridge?

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

45015 is a long and sorry case....

its now owned by the railway it resides on now as the result of a court case over unpaid rent.....

45015 is devoid of pistons and heads and also most of the electrical cubical and brake frame is missing, its also got damaged spring, and known to have asbestos around the boiler. Whilst most of the engine parts could be sourced from a class 47 most of the electrical cubical is unique to class 45s, bear in mind also all the electrical auxiliaries are also unique to class 45s as they are 220v.

I don't suspect you will see this one running again....

Well we all have "non-runners" in our loco fleets don't we ?

Scrapping would be a shame. I think the loco should be stripped of useable parts, then "sealed from the elements" and cosmetically restored, placed in a prominent position. The same would apply to many other locos / coaches etc.

To big for my "stock boxes" I'm afraid !!

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Normally non runners have a realistic prospect of earning their keep...non runners accumulate rent and if you don't have the money to pay the rent that's what happens, a locomotive at a railway needs people to work on it....in that case and many others there's no one to work on it.

Keeping a loco on a preserved railway isn't free!

How do I know....im the secretary of a group that owns two locomotives....

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

In principal, I agree with the four posts above, and I accept that I tend to look through rose tinted glasses in most cases.

When one looks at the Metro Vic Co - Bo and perhaps even the NBL type 1, though I'd have to say nothing is impossible. I know these two are the last of their type and as such, deserve to be restored, whereas 45015 is the last of a type where other body styles still exist.

I do wonder if other Sulzer equipment, (maybe from foreign loco's still extant (there is a loco class in Poland similar to the class 47)).

It's all a bit of a pipe dream, but hey, we can all dream.

Unfortunately, I'm at a place in my life where I couldn't do much to help, but given half a chance, I'd have a go! Maybe in a few years time if she hasn't rusted into the ballast beneath her.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

The best that could happen to 45015 is to get another (electric heat) 45 or a class 47 and swap everything from that into the body of 45015, it wouldnt be a proper 45 anymore but at least it would be working and earning its keep and another steam heat Peak would be running.

Is it a realistic prospect?  No which is a shame but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and admit defeat!

Now where is that lottery ticket!

Maybe a group with an ETH 45 would be interested in converting it back to a steam heater using the bits from 45015?

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, I'm at a place in my life where I couldn't do much to help, but given half a chance, I'd have a go! Maybe in a few years time if she hasn't rusted into the ballast beneath her.....

Children sell for a good price Sean, a lifetime of peace and a Peak preserved, result!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

The best that could happen to 45015 is to get another (electric heat) 45 or a class 47 and swap everything from that into the body of 45015, it wouldnt be a proper 45 anymore but at least it would be working and earning its keep and another steam heat Peak would be running.

Is it a realistic prospect?  No which is a shame but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and admit defeat!

Now where is that lottery ticket!

Maybe a group with an ETH 45 would be interested in converting it back to a steam heater using the bits from 45015?

This made me chuckle....

It would not be possible to put the internals of an eth peak into a non eth 45.....

When the peaks were converted the following mods amongst others were done....

1,) removal of the boiler

2,) removal of the water wanks

3,) removal of the steam pipework

4,) removal of auxilliary generator

5,) fitting of an eth alternator

6,) rewire

the ETH alternator requires an extra cubical in order to work, ahhh but were not interested in eth....no your not but you do need your auxiliaries to work and also you need lights which on an eth peak run via rectification circuits on the eth alternator, the eth cucbical was placed in the position of the boiler.

Also 45015 is missing amongst other things its reverser and most of its electrical cubical, including the field diversion banks, these two items are unique to peaks and you wont find them on a 47!

No one in there right mind would sacrifice an eth peak for 45015....my stance is i hope it does get cut as id like a spare bogie and a few other items for 45149!

Finally take a look here to get some idea on what it takes to restore a peak....

http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/45149_ohaul_index.htm

bear in mind 45149 only had 3000 hours on its engine when it was withdrawn!

its not just a case of putting bits back in.....

Cosmetically restored and sealed against the elements, I'd love to see this as gate guardian, 'bursting out' of the caged southern portal of Whitrope :angel:

800px-Whitrope_Tunnel01_1999-12-11.jpg

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

45015 is a long and sorry case....

its now owned by the railway it resides on now as the result of a court case over unpaid rent.....

45015 is devoid of pistons and heads and also most of the electrical cubical and brake frame is missing, its also got damaged spring, and known to have asbestos around the boiler. Whilst most of the engine parts could be sourced from a class 47 most of the electrical cubical is unique to class 45s, bear in mind also all the electrical auxiliaries are also unique to class 45s as they are 220v.

I don't suspect you will see this one running again....

Whilst I agree that some parts from a Class 47 engine could be used there are a good number that are B series specific and so parts from a C series off a Class 47 cant be used alas.

Not many 47s about to sacrifice for a Peak anyway as there are plenty of 47 owners after parts.

I've have looked at 45015 and all the others when BR sold them (we picked 45112) and 45015 was a wreck then. there are too many main line locos now sitting around looking for work and homes which includes a few 45's. She and 25244 should be cut, end of story. It was mentioned a few years ago if 45015 could be sectioned for a museum but she has really rotted too far now. The only parts on her worth having are her bogie frames. The truth may hurt but it's the truth

Robin

45015 is a shell, the power unit is a just a block with a *ucked genny attached. Most of the auxilary equipment is missing, the cubicle is devoid of nearly every item. No radiators.  All the cabling went a very long time ago. 

The bogies and the exhauster are about the only things worth having. Sooner it gets cut up the better.

Regards

Al Taylor

45 co-owner.

• Like 2

Oh I dunno robin....ive got my eye on that triple pump ;) are you still involved with 45112?

I helped with 45112 at March and then Bury but I sold 25901 and a few others and got me a 3 bedroom semi bachelor pad out of it, No offence Mr Taylor but there are too many prima donnas in diesel preservation now ( not including our ex biscuit making friend :sarcastic: ). Too much back stabing

I helped with 45112 at March and then Bury but I sold 25901 and a few others and got me a 3 bedroom semi bachelor pad out of it, No offence Mr Taylor but there are too many prima donnas in diesel preservation now ( not including our ex biscuit making friend :sarcastic: ). Too much back stabing

None taken. 

Al Taylor.

The class 83 needs a new transformer, draining the oil from one results in a quick and certain death as the insulation soon breaks down. So you're probably looking at a seven-figure sum, and the same to electrify your own line as Network Rail would never accept it on their metals.

But in the grander scheme, it'd be a shame to loose it, compare that to some 16-wheeled wreck that is only unique because it was built with headcodes that it no longer has...

To be fair, I'd have expected that anyone wishing to preserve an AC electric would have considered the fact that it needs some sort of outside power source when making the decision to save it!

Since you mention headcode boxes, I believe D100 was preserved without them and it has been very nicely restored and the boxes reinstated, so I stand by my comment that this locomotive IS unique, just because it no longer has the equipment that makes it so, doesn't take away the fact. That said, although I'd like to see D14 in its former glory, I feel it is very unlikely this will ever happen although I think I've already mentioned the Co Bo and class 15 as truimphs in locomotive restoration. The problem with D14 as I see it is that there are already a good number of Peaks that are preserved and so less incentive to sort this one out. If she happened to be the last survivor, I'd bet she'd be well on the way to ex works condition.

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom