Peak 45015

Mikeym

• RMweb Gold

Blimey....tyres don't look that clever either....

to give you some of you guys a further example of the sort of expenditure preservation goes...

on the 24th of march we will be having 2 traction motors changed and a tyre turn completed on 26043, the charges for labour to lift 26043 and transport a bogie for tyre turning come to over 3k.....i then have to get an tyre turned owing to damage left over from BR days which has left 2 cavities (one exceeding 15mm) in no3 axle if that cant be turned out (and 26043 is not far from its last tyre turn) then the bill to replace all the tyres comes in at 25k!

If i had to get the two defective motors repaired the bill would be around 8-9k!

and 26043 is a working loco....(well it was....briefly :) )

All that effort and expense is appreciated.

In response, us "armchair enthusiasts" need to support diesel preservation whenever we can, be it going to diesel galas, on railtours, making donations or volunteering.

Like or not, diesels don't have the mass general appeal and allure of steam, so it's up to those who care about it to sustain it.

• RMweb Gold

That's actually less than I'd expected. Of course you'd also have to get the Battlefield Line to speak to you. And the owner. And have somewhere to put it. And permission to move it (anybody know what's involved in moving something you know is full of asbestos, anyway?).

Then your problems really begin.

Drive it up and down the M1 a couple of times on the back of a low loader and that's the asbestos problem solved!

Mike.

• Funny 1

the quote i had to move 45149 was a shade over 7k to get it to norfolk from toddington.....last week....

it cant be scrapped unless the asbestos (around the boiler and cable trunking) is disposed of......that costs money......why spend 5 or 6k when you will only get 1 or 2k in return......

Scrap steel is £175 a tonne, plus you have a hell of a lot of copper in the generator and traction motors. I think you'd get a shed load more than 2k for it scrap.

Moving her by road, will never happen, the cost due to weight and the fact she would have to be sealed somehow before movement. There is a wonderful act in place now called "Duty Of Care" and I have to deal with it every day regarding carriage of waste (hazardous or not). The disposal of her is going to cost and will be a touchy subject for all involved. I've been all over her years ago but wouldn't do that now. Some have said that there are some parts/items they would like but the seller/owner would want to recoup some money back so the price will make this pointless.

I fear this subject will always be bouncing around the forums until something is done and I didn't see this happening soon.

• Agree 1

I suppose something might happen the day a bogie is needed as it doesn't take much more space to store a 45 than 2x45 bogies unless you stack them on top of each other.

I am not sure even the bogies are worth having. One of them at least has a serious fault, and I believe was the reason for its withdrawal from service.

Edited by Titan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

The next oldest 45 I think is D22/ 45132, and that never had the doors. It does have the split boxes at one end though, which looks the dogs danglies.

A shame, but inevitable really.

Just glad it's finally gone, one less thing taking up the sidings at shackerstone, the battlefield line looks more like a scrapyard than a railway

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Good. It's a preservation embarrassment. Never in a million years was it feasible to do anything with it but scrap it.

It may not have been a realistic proposition to restore it to working order but could have been cosmetically restored for a museum. I believe some locos in North American museums look good but no chance of them ever running again

There are loads of locos which should have been cut up if the same criteria was applied to 45015

18000, 26020, APT-E  no name but a few and to a lesser extent Deltic and countless steam locomotives 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, russ p said:

It may not have been a realistic proposition to restore it to working order but could have been cosmetically restored for a museum. I believe some locos in North American museums look good but no chance of them ever running again

There are loads of locos which should have been cut up if the same criteria was applied to 45015

18000, 26020, APT-E  no name but a few and to a lesser extent Deltic and countless steam locomotives 

Why do you think 45015 should be grouped with 18000, 26020 & APT-E ?

The latter are individual examples of step changes in railway locomotive development thinking which were closely associated with the investigation and formulation of traction plans for the UK  railways.

Perhaps if it were the only one of a 'type' your hypothesis may apply, but D15 'had' only nose end doors to set it apart from other extant examples of the class.

The association with18000, 26020 & APT-E may thus be made through the fact that (more than) one of the pilot scheme 'Peaks' has been preserved.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Why do you think 45015 should be grouped with 18000, 26020 & APT-E ?

The latter are individual examples of step changes in railway locomotive development thinking which were closely associated with the investigation and formulation of traction plans for the UK  railways.

Perhaps if it were the only one of a 'type' your hypothesis may apply, but D15 'had' only nose end doors to set it apart from other extant examples of the class.

The association with18000, 26020 & APT-E may thus be made through the fact that (more than) one of the pilot scheme 'Peaks' has been preserved.

Because there is no prospect of them ever running again and it is one the first 45s 

Would have been nice to see it in somewhere like Margate or Crewe . It's a shame we lost the two Barry NBLs  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, russ p said:

Because there is no prospect of them ever running again and it is one the first 45s 

Would have been nice to see it in somewhere like Margate or Crewe . It's a shame we lost the two Barry NBLs  

But it's not that important a loco, money is tight and there is a growing list of locos that are sidelined for overhaul.  We've just had a season affected by Covid and we are all staring at massive energy inflation and general rising inflation.  Saving this loco for cosmetic restoration and then mounting on a plynth will be just taking money from other Peaks that are running, if we want to look at nose doors there are a few 44s to look at.  It's not rational to try and save everything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But it's not that important a loco, money is tight and there is a growing list of locos that are sidelined for overhaul.  We've just had a season affected by Covid and we are all staring at massive energy inflation and general rising inflation.  Saving this loco for cosmetic restoration and then mounting on a plynth will be just taking money from other Peaks that are running, if we want to look at nose doors there are a few 44s to look at.  It's not rational to try and save everything.

I know it's not possible to save everything  but it's a bit of a shame for it to last over 60 years and get cut up

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, russ p said:

I believe some locos in North American museums look good but no chance of them ever running again

In response to that point, the North American preservation scene is very much like ours, except on a much smaller scale. There are museums with shiny locos and also sidings full of relics that are rotting away and even forgotten projects like the namesake here that have been abandoned and are full of nasties that makes disposal difficult. 

Quite a few of my favourite type of loco went for scrap fairly recently despite their age but I can't personally complain because I wasn't in a position to do anything about it, so I'll carry on supporting projects where I know a difference can be made. The whole preservation scene is a timebomb since they rely on alot of retiree's age and skills, and younger generations will be expected to work until we croak leaving little time for anything outside of the core business of what a preserved railway needs to do to bring the punters in.

• Agree 1

I think the issue with a cosmetic job is who would want it? There are over 10 other peaks which are in a much better position to run again, so who would want to display a not all that unique shell?

It's not a happy day when a loco is scrapped, but 45015 should probably never have been "saved" in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It's a sad day for memes & banter on FarceBerk, with 45015 now finally going...

But yes, I agree with the majority voice here - she was a basket case for years, and a source of embarrassment to the Battlefield line. I went past the old girl on NYE 2019, whilst enjoying a trip on a Battlefield Line DMU - it was obvious that she was beyond salvation. As mentioned earlier- IF she was the last Peak extant then things might have been different, but she's not.

At least a few bits will live on, keeping other Peaks alive.

• Agree 5

13 minutes ago, MarkC said:

and a source of embarrassment to the Battlefield line.

Let's not forget, in fact give credit to the Battlefield Line as they were the ones that gave the loco a chance in preservation when other potential homes refused it.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, russ p said:

Even a cosmetic restoration would have cost an absolute fortune - with many external parts missing which would either need sourcing (from where?) or remanufacturing. I understand it's thoroughly stuck where it is because it has deteriorated and seized up, so just extracting the hulk to even start any work would also cost a significant amount of money.

Steamers are relatively easy to restore from total wrecks as there is nothing particularly technological about them - and the others you mention are unique prototypes that help tell the story. If the only thing in 15's favour is end doors (that would need reinstating anyway) then as others have said, there are related locos that show the concept, even if not the exact same model.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I read somewhere that a cosmetic restoration would still cost in the region of £100,000 - a lot of money for a static exhibit when there are quite a few other class members remaining.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, 08221 said:

I read somewhere that a cosmetic restoration would still cost in the region of £100,000 - a lot of money for a static exhibit when there are quite a few other class members remaining.

To misquote Tennessee Ernie Ford  - "Sixteen wheels, and what do you get, another day older and deeper in debt.........."

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1